Your stories of meeting players (that no one else is interested in hearing). (1 Viewer)

RegTheDonk

Can't remember the name of it, but when I was about 8 I saw Tommy Hutch in a social club in Counden playing darts with some of the regulars.

RegTheDonk

Used to live in Harborne, Birmingham in the early 80s. Saw Peter Bodack in The Duke of York with a gang of his mates. Bit of a tool.

LastGarrison

Oh yeah also saw David Phillips in TK Maxx at Central 6 last year.

He had a very smart jacket on that clearly wasn't from TK Maxx.

oscillatewildly

Met loads of em at various Ricoh legends days, not quite 'bumping into' them admittedly, but great to have a chat with and do what I obviously didn't do a lot of as a kid - get progs, pics and cards autographed. As they say "Once a fan, always a fan." On a rare visit to the now long gone Whitley members club, about 1990, I noticed Micky Gynn. I went over to him and had a brief chat and thought I'd try out something I'd never had the opportunity to do before and ask for complimentaries for the following days game away at Wimbledon. Expecting some old line about not being able to get any, imagine my surprise when the Gynnster replied "No problem, how many do you want?" I can honestly say I had no previous intention of going to that game but it would have been rude to decline the offer. I asked for two. Word quickly spread and a queue formed. The pint sized midfield dynamo was true to his word and the next day 20 odd tickets in envelope were duly collected from Plough lane t.o. Have met him a few times since, usually in the club house at Coundon Rd.

I met quite a few players. The 1st ones were when I went to CCFC vs Stoke at The Britannia, in 2002 I believe. My brother (who is a Leicester fan) was the Cov mascot. We got to meet Gary McAllister and Jay Bothroyd amongst others. The next one was Stuart Giddings. Before he left Cov, him and his dad used to drink in the Bird In Hand pub where my dad used to go pretty much every night. Met him in there when I was watching a United game on the big TV. Met Clinton Morrison, Aron Gunnarson, Michael McIndoe and Gary Madine when I did a literacy course at The Ricoh. Met a lot of 1st team stars at the club shop opening and I've also met Oggy in a pub I used to run with my family, The Blue Pig. He came in every now and again. Fair to say although im still quite young I've met my fair share of CCFC players

Rusty Trombone

I met quite a few players. The 1st ones were when I went to CCFC vs Stoke at The Britannia, in 2002 I believe. My brother (who is a Leicester fan) was the Cov mascot. We got to meet Gary McAllister and Jay Bothroyd amongst others. The next one was Stuart Giddings. Before he left Cov, him and his dad used to drink in the Bird In Hand pub where my dad used to go pretty much every night. Met him in there when I was watching a United game on the big TV. Met Clinton Morrison, Aron Gunnarson, Michael McIndoe and Gary Madine when I did a literacy course at The Ricoh. Met a lot of 1st team stars at the club shop opening and I've also met Oggy in a pub I used to run with my family, The Blue Pig. He came in every now and again. Fair to say although im still quite young I've met my fair share of CCFC players

Were they on the course with you?

Leamington Pete

A mate and I used to cycle over to Ryton in the school holidays. In those Wallace and Ferguson days you were able to just wander in and stand pitchside to watch the training. Anyone else remember how great Ron Wylie was? He'd always chat and encourage you to get autographs and even took us in while the players were having lunch to get all the signatures we wanted.

mds

Used to work at Kellers next to Ryton, often used to see players and management at the garage down the road, Strachan always had time for small talk, delivered a bouncy castle to Marcus Hall for kids birthday really pleasant had a long chat about City and him coming back to City also one to J Lloyd Samuel while he was at Villa, lived in a mini mansion, couple of other players there I recognised but couldnt name all friendly enough with some seriously hot women for company.

Gary.j

Mid/late 80's, spencer park, Oggy was walking his young child. In contrast to other posts, he was really friendly and talked to us for about an hour.

Si80

Last year at Walsall away when Clarke was injured he was sat out in the cold with his missus in front of our box. Gave him a shout and asked if he wanted to join us. He did, although as he came into the corridor he was heard saying to his missus "I hope they ain't fucking weirdos" :D

604147_10151374657396872_783766502_n.jpg

Brighton Sky Blue

Not me personally, but my late Grandad managed Bobby Gould in one of the local junior sides in the '50s/'60s, when Gould then got scouted by the City, managed by Jimmy Hill. Gould got signed up and decades later, when he was manager, invited my Grandad along to sit in the box at Highfield Road and said 'If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be where I am today'.

johnamcp

Carl baker last week after the Cup match half 3 in the mornin!!!!!
In heat....
Beer, women, and the club captain after a win like that..... Great night out..... He was with 2 ordinary middle aged Cov blokes so fair play to him for going on the piss with them!!

mds

Last year at Walsall away when Clarke was injured he was sat out in the cold with his missus in front of our box. Gave him a shout and asked if he wanted to join us. He did, although as he came into the corridor he was heard saying to his missus "I hope they ain't fucking weirdos" :D

View attachment 3202

Did he come back after half time? :)
Fucking weirdos, lol.

bringbackrattles

Rattles, allegedly George Hudson liked a drink in the Wyken Working Men's club. When he didn't return home one day his family went looking for him along the Anstey Road. & found him fast asleep in someone's front garden. Few people have told me that.
I never heard that one on George but knew he liked a drink.
He was a typical tough centre forward who could handle himself,he took no shit and saw him deck a couple of defenders while playing for us,he sparked out a Swindon player at their place, A LEFT HOOK ! But he knew how to play too.

Met Jimmy Hill, along with the incredibly sultry Jackie Collins, at Luton Airport back in the 80's. They were judging the Miss Campari competition and both agreed to photos being taken. Jimmy was a top bloke and we had a lengthy chat about bolstering City's lightweight midfield which at the time comprised of Andy Blair and Ray Gooding, bless 'em.

Monners

Paul Telfler once stopped at my mates house after a night on the sauce. My mate went in the room to see if Super Telf was ok, adn found him passed out naked on the bed with my mates pet dog licking his bollocks!

True story!

Joy Division

I took my young cousin to meet the players at the pop and crisps day at Highfield Road, I think it was New Years Day 1991 (could have been Boxing Day). All the players were chatty and polite, bar Ogrizovic who was plain ignorant. While queuing I managed to meet and shake hands with the great Bobby Moore, so Grizzo, as much of a City legend as you are, you couldn't lace Mooro's boots on or off the pitch.

I may have been at the same one, was around Christmas time after the Tottenham game. My dad took me down and qued down the players tunnel, must have been about 10 or 11 and met all the players so was a massive buzz to get all their autographs. Only thing I really remember is Terry Butcher being very nice, I was really nervous and he chatted to me about the game for a few minutes, top fella. Don Howe was his assistant I think and he was fairly pleasant too. Don't remember any of the players really speaking but just remember Peter Ndlovu taking AGES to write his autograph, was like a proper piece of art.

Real

I may have been at the same one, was around Christmas time after the Tottenham game. My dad took me down and qued down the players tunnel, must have been about 10 or 11 and met all the players so was a massive buzz to get all their autographs. Only thing I really remember is Terry Butcher being very nice, I was really nervous and he chatted to me about the game for a few minutes, top fella. Don Howe was his assistant I think and he was fairly pleasant too. Don't remember any of the players really speaking but just remember Peter Ndlovu taking AGES to write his autograph, was like a proper piece of art.

I remember bowing to Ndlovu, he just looked at me gone out, lol. It was probably the same one, we were queuing in the main stand, but as I said, at least I got to meet Bobby Moore, and get his autograph, a real class act.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
When Big Ron was boss, I saw him at the Clothes Show Live (was there with Mrs at the time...:whistle:).
Shook his hand and said something like 'We gotta beat the Villa' (think we were playing them soon after)
He replied with 'You lot always say that'.

squeeam

I met Marcus Hall a couple of years ago at the Coventry half marathon. Had a chat with him before the race and he hoped to complete the race in 2 hours. Had my picture taken with him and sent it to my son.
During the race, I think it was mile 6 or 7, he went tearing past me and I thought he's going a fair lick.
About 3 miles later I caught up and overtook him and was being genuine in my encouragement. "Come on Marcus, keep going mate".
Well if looks could kill. Perhaps he thought I was taking the p**s but I wasn't.
Got to the last mile, absolutely knackered (my first half marathon) and stinking past me with half a mile to go was Marcus!
I saw my family with a couple of hundred yards left cheering me on. And my son shouting "Hurry up, Marcus Hall's beating you".
I was happy just to be alive.

runner

Met Gordon Strachan once at a works do he'd been invited as a guests speaker ... nice chap. Really made an effort.

SkyBlue76

When I was in my final year at secondary school, I did a one week 'work experience' at Jewson in Nuneaton. A couple of days in, I served Trevor Peake on the till - I was well star stuck. Can't remember what he bought though.

Also, last year Oggy pushed in front of me in a queue at a petrol station. All I was doing was eying up the chocolate bars while I was waiting and he thought I was still shopping - or so he said when he tried to apologise. But he is a legend so I let him stay in front.

Spagbol

I moved house and was neighbours with Trevor Peake, he helped put some fence panels up and was always a gentleman, he was on the coaching staff with G Strachen at the time, so you get to understand how long ago it was. Bumped into him last year and he remembered my name and my lad who was Sky Blue mad! Oh and met Regis & Benno in June 87 at the Crowhill in Nuneaton I was absolutely made up.

Users who are viewing this thread