Your stories of meeting players (that no one else is interested in hearing). (1 Viewer)

Rusty Trombone

I got told off by Terry Yorath whilst watching my primary school football team play, he said I was putting the goalie off and he told me to move away, but I think it was because I was in his line of vision as he was watching from his back garden.

BackRoomRummermill

I worked in the early eighties as a pump assistant at the petrol station on the island by the connexion. The club had a fuel account there and I met basically everyone all the time.

The most polite by far Kenny Hibbit ! always gave a tip !

Joy Division

Once saw Cedric Roussell drinking in a coffee shop in Stratford on his own, looked very sad.

ccfcway

I saw Leigh Jenkinson walking down Leamington High St. There was a crack in the pavement, but luckily he was able to step over it !

Mr T - Sukka!

Seen Peter Ndlouv once at Drayton manor. He was with his family sitting on the benches eating.

It was at his hight of fame at City.

I was only a nipper so i was too scared to say your amazing.

Rusty Trombone

Used to play football on the local field, one day a new lad came over with the whole Notts County kit on, it was Raddy Avramovic's son. He was rubbish.

Monners

On the ale with Magnus Hedman a few times as he drank in my local in Northampton (which was run by a Cov fan). My mate danced with him to Toploader at Auntie Ruth's nightclub when they were both smashed, a sight that will never leave me. He used to give us his ticket allocation and get us into the players lounge at HR. Nice fella (always got his round in)

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

Years ago I worked in a distribution centre. Agency pickers/ packers came on site. 5 of them stood around and I started allocating tasks. I did a double check on on of the guys and said he looked familiar. The others kept a straight face. A few minutes passed. Dave Bennett was picking products off locations.

When my manager found out he was here he was moved to an easier job that required no walking.

SkyblueBazza

London Supporters Club player of the season awards post W.Ham away game way back when...asked Oggy wtf he was doing when he did the headless chicken run in the cup final. He just laughed. Speedie was a top-bloke a glint in his eye - enjoying meeting the fans...even offered to buy me a beer but I was driving.

thaiskyblue

in the rose and crown after a game once, speedo came over, asked my mate could he have a read of his pink, he never returned it, could you return it please david ?

hutch1972

On the ale with Magnus Hedman a few times as he drank in my local in Northampton (which was run by a Cov fan). My mate danced with him to Toploader at Auntie Ruth's nightclub when they were both smashed, a sight that will never leave me. He used to give us his ticket allocation and get us into the players lounge at HR. Nice fella (always got his round in)
When he had money !

hutch1972

in the rose and crown after a game once, speedo came over, asked my mate could he have a read of his pink, he never returned it, could you return it please david ?
Took a piss with speedo on the players weekly night out in park lane , he was't too complimentary about the ref who was in charge of the game the night before.
For a short bloke , boy could he hold a lot of water.

J

Jack Griffin

Micky Quinn coming out of betting shop at bottom of Cheylesmore parade.

thaiskyblue

used to play darts with pressley and gillespie in the craven walsgrave , elvis used to take some stick about his white shoes.

LastGarrison

Peter Ndlovu coming out of KFC at the Forum the week after he'd put in a dazzling performance (can't remeber who against) and my mate told him he was class. He had a quick chat with us then fucked off. Nice chap.

Down in Colchester the game we won 5-1 after a shocking first half when we went 1-0 down, we were walking back to the motor after a couple of pints and Leon Best was getting interviewed outside the ground, my mate turned round to him and said "Good game Leon", Leon went to say nice one and my mate quickly followed it up with "Well second half anyway.." his face dropped and I'm sure I saw a little smirk on the interviewers face.

Up Jumping Jacks for my mates 21st birthday on a Monday night and Hartson and Palmer were in there and everyone were all over them like a rash, this was literally days after Hartson had came out saying that he wasn't moving anywhere, even to captain Man United, yet he was telling anyone within earshot that he was off to Celtic. A mate of mine, who isn't the sharpest tool in the box, but can have a row, came up to us asking who they were. No word of a lie we told him Hartson was Mel Gibson and off he toddled to ask Hartson if he was Mel Gibson, I swear I have never seen anyone look as completely confused as Hartson when he asked him. :claping hands:

As the night went on and more alcohol was consumed people started (rightly or wrongly) getting a bit pissed off with them, especially Hartson, because of the Celtic thing and at chucking out time a few people were waiting around on Spon Street when they rocked up, with two rough fat birds, and a few choice words were thrown there way. Hartson didn't want anything to do with it and started getting in the taxi but Palmer, who is a big [Expletive Deleted], turned round to us and started gobbing off and said "We ain't just footballers you know" with his arms spread out, which inflamed the situation slightly and everyone ran at them, Palmer quickly jumped into the taxi and it was just moving off as my mate got there and punched the window through, which made the taxi speed off a little quicker.

Looking back it was just two footballers out for a drink and it was bang out of order but it makes a good anecdote. :D I now follow both on Twitter I should really tweet them and see if they remember it.

Last edited by a moderator:

skybluetony176

I met Lee Hughes at Highfield Rd. The company I was working for was doing some corporate entertainment at the Chelsea FA cup game. He was Iinjured and in the bar when someone tapped him on the shoulder and he disappeared. Next time I saw him he was in his kit and out on the field playing in the game.

Last edited:

James Smith

We were on the forecourt and at the old petrol station on the London Road (now a car hypermarket) filling up after a match. When this car pulled in and out stepped Hadji and Chippo both extremely nice blokes and shook hands + signed the odd autograph.

When staying at the Ricoh hotel I got into a lift with Oggy whilst trying to get back to my room. I was thinking I'm not worthy of cleaning his boots and trying to come up with something sensible (and not embarrassing) to say when we arrived in the basement and he got out.

Users who are viewing this thread