Your January transfer window (1 Viewer)

Skybluefaz

I've always been impressed by Micheal Bostwick when I've seen him play against us. Big hairy bastard doing the dirty work alongside the twinkle toes of Tom Bayliss might work. Can play centre half too. Dare I say it but Matt Rhead is ridiculously effective too. Could be the perfect foil for Chaplin.

steve82

Willis has been our best defender for the last 3 seasons ( this one included).
He just doesn’t get the recognition he deserves.
And no I am not his dad ,-)

So he was a profitable saleable asset as a result, that was my point he had good assets to his game.
He was the only jewel to generate some funds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JulianDarbyFTW

3 signings?

A tough target man in the Mick Harford mould.

A proper second striker ala Tommy Johnson, so we can shove Chaplin a little further forward.

A back-up to Bayliss. Our downturn in form has coincided with his absence.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

1. Conor Chaplin (Portsmouth) Think its all but completed
2.Baily Cargill (MK Dons) Still yet to replace Rod
3. Chuks Aneke (MK Dons) If we lose Bayliss
4. Ogogo, Jones and Kelly match fit Andreu released.

Chuks Aneke is certainly finding the net this season, I can't imagine we'd have the kind of money required to sign him though. I'd also wonder how we'd fit him in, does he play as part of a 2 man central midfield or is he more of a number 10 like Andreu?

Mucca Mad Boys

First and foremost, we need to extend Thomas’ loan deal. The squad is in a good place when we get people to full fitness so maybe we’ll take a punt on some loanees to beef out the squad.

We’ll need to sign a few experienced players in other areas in the summer. That is, if we’re looking to press on towards L1 promotion.

steve82

Forgot we’ve a goal keeping issue, think I’d draft in a keeper on loan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

Bit of a take your pick situation slightly coming to the front for January for consideration

Liam O’Brien is injured for what could be a while, so only Addai as back up to Burge

Left wing is a situation too, Shipley has a knock but might not be out for long, JJ looks to be likely set back in being nearer the starting 11 and Hiwula is being tormented for being asked to play a way that’s not best effective for him to me

Two positions that need looking at for the best of the side for the second half of the season

SkyBlueCRJ

Forgot we’ve a goal keeping issue, think I’d draft in a keeper on loan

I think MR will almost definitely be looking to bring in a GK whether on loan or on a permanent. Regarding the latter it's just whether the right one is available. In lesser words he said in the summer transfer window that O'Brien was surplus to requirements. However, the only sides to look at him were in non-league and either they couldn't match his wages or O'Brien himself subbed them (God knows why if the latter is true because non-league is almost definitely his level). If it weren't for Burge this season our league position would look vastly different. O'Brien has the odd game but he's vulnerable to absolute calamities (E.g. Blackpool earlier this season) so IMO GK should be a priority as he just can't cope with the demands of League One.

Obviously it's difficult to have two solid GK's up against each other as you cannot expect one or the other to sit on the bench, but if I were MR I'd bring someone in who Oggy can nurture and develop.

SkyBlueCRJ

Bit of a take your pick situation slightly coming to the front for January for consideration

Liam O’Brien is injured for what could be a while, so only Addai as back up to Burge

Left wing is a situation too, Shipley has a knock but might not be out for long, JJ looks to be likely set back in being nearer the starting 11 and Hiwula is being tormented for being asked to play a way that’s not best effective for him to me

Two positions that need looking at for the best of the side for the second half of the season

Addai is too raw to be thrown into the mix. IMHO I have a feeling he won't be good enough anyway even in 2-3 years time.

Agreed that LW is another priority. Hiwula might get us the odd goal, but he goes missing in games far too much and that will cost us in the long run.

steve82

I think MR will almost definitely be looking to bring in a GK whether on loan or on a permanent. Regarding the latter it's just whether the right one is available. In lesser words he said in the summer transfer window that O'Brien was surplus to requirements. However, the only sides to look at him were in non-league and either they couldn't match his wages or O'Brien himself subbed them (God knows why if the latter is true because non-league is almost definitely his level). If it weren't for Burge this season our league position would look vastly different. O'Brien has the odd game but he's vulnerable to absolute calamities (E.g. Blackpool earlier this season) so IMO GK should be a priority as he just can't cope with the demands of League One.

Obviously it's difficult to have two solid GK's up against each other as you cannot expect one or the other to sit on the bench, but if I were MR I'd bring someone in who Oggy can nurture and develop.

Without a doubt Lee Burge has kept us in games at times last year and this too and has developed more out the two.
With O’Brien I can see his point in sitting out his contract as a number 2 if no offers interested him in the summer.

Which brings the next problem as you say how do you convince a good keeper to come and say it’s Lee’s shirt till you can take it off him in a January window. So I’d imagine it’s a loan till the summer window

steve82

Addai is too raw to be thrown into the mix. IMHO I have a feeling he won't be good enough anyway even in 2-3 years time.

Agreed that LW is another priority. Hiwula might get us the odd goal, but he goes missing in games far too much and that will cost us in the long run.

I think we were all drawn in by his purple spell when it looked like he’d clicked in the role when he was introduced back in the side. He might come good being a winger by the end of the season and do all aspects of the role but it’s how long can you wait for it to click.
He don’t look to be enjoying his football in what MR is asking him to do, he starts off effective and involved but then as the game goes on and he’s less focused and silly errors come in to his game.

SkyBlueCRJ

Without a doubt Lee Burge has kept us in games at times last year and this too and has developed more out the two.
With O’Brien I can see his point in sitting out his contract as a number 2 if no offers interested him in the summer.

Which brings the next problem as you say how do you convince a good keeper to come and say it’s Lee’s shirt till you can take it off him in a January window. So I’d imagine it’s a loan till the summer window

Well exactly, he's probably earning a fair wage here, which isn't likely to be matched wherever he moves onto next so I definitely see the logic from his end. But if that's the case we may as well just pay off the remainder of his contract and get rid in Jan and then replace him with a loan like you said. It makes zero difference to us financially.

Like I said it depends who is available, if we can get rid of O'Brien in Jan. A solid GK isn't going to come in to play second fiddle to Burge hence why he'd be better going after a GK perhaps from non-league that has enough quality but similarly needs developing.

SkyBlueCRJ

I think we were all drawn in by his purple spell when it looked like he’d clicked in the role when he was introduced back in the side. He might come good being a winger by the end of the season and do all aspects of the role but it’s how long can you wait for it to click.
He don’t look to be enjoying his football in what MR is asking him to do, he starts off effective and involved but then as the game goes on and he’s less focused and silly errors come in to his game.

Hiwula has bags of quality but realistically the only reason he's playing there is because there's no one else. JJ hasn't be fit and could potentially be out for a long spell if his injury as reoccurred, Shipley hasn't shown enough this season to warrant a start and Allassani is obviously out on loan. I'd be surprised if MR doesn't consider LW a priority as without Hiwula who actually is there to replace him?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Agree that LW definitely needs addressing. After that to be honest I don't know how much we would be able to upgrade on what we already have, it's always notoriously difficult in January to bring in quality additions. I'd rather we spent the cash on contract extensions for players: Burge, Willis and Davies would be top of my list.

SkyBlueCRJ

Agree that LW definitely needs addressing. After that to be honest I don't know how much we would be able to upgrade on what we already have, it's always notoriously difficult in January to bring in quality additions. I'd rather we spent the cash on contract extensions for players: Burge, Willis and Davies would be top of my list.

Agreed contract extension also need addressing as there are a few key players who could potentially be leaving on a free by summer. I have a bad feeling Willis may not commit to another season with us, but it depends on where we sit come the end of the season/our ambitions next season.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would bring in the big lump from Peterborough not Evans the centre half number 5?

Out of the door

Andreu as unfortunately he looks done
Bosma a ridiculous signing people will say he is cheap but unless he costs nothing he is overpaid couldn’t even get in the Southport team.

steve82

Hiwula has bags of quality but realistically the only reason he's playing there is because there's no one else. JJ hasn't be fit and could potentially be out for a long spell if his injury as reoccurred, Shipley hasn't shown enough this season to warrant a start and Allassani is obviously out on loan. I'd be surprised if MR doesn't consider LW a priority as without Hiwula who actually is there to replace him?

He’s definitely got ability as he’s done it at this level, and this is his level and why he’s the errors in his game he’s got. He’s your typical rough diamond to polish into a gem.

Yes I’d agree he’s playing there by default as he’s got pace and a ball carrier. That’s the only traits he’s got tho to be effective in that role.

For me tho it’s a big position to address as I’m writing JJ off this season. My personal opinion to mix it up currently is put Thomas on the left and Bayliss right which I’m quite keen on. It’s just who to put with Doyle out of the inconsistency of unfit players in Kelly or Ogogo

SkyBlueCRJ

He’s definitely got ability as he’s done it at this level, and this is his level and why he’s the errors in his game he’s got. He’s your typical rough diamond to polish into a gem.

Yes I’d agree he’s playing there by default as he’s got pace and a ball carrier. That’s the only traits he’s got tho to be effective in that role.

For me tho it’s a big position to address as I’m writing JJ off this season. My personal opinion to mix it up currently is put Thomas on the left and Bayliss right which I’m quite keen on. It’s just who to put with Doyle out of the inconsistency of unfit players in Kelly or Ogogo

Exactly, I for one was thrilled when we brought him in as I knew of his pedigree beforehand from his successful spells at Yeovil, Walsall and Bradford. But as you said he's still young and is an ideal player for MR to develop. But how much time can we afford to play him in a position that he is neither comfortable in or enjoying? I was ready to accept that this season would be one of consolidation, however now we're sitting just 2 points outside the play-offs, who's to say we can't push on and get into one of those final four spots come the end of the season. Realistically the only way we can do this is by being the best that we can possibly be - and this is only done by strengthening in Jan.

I think what's the most frustrating thing about this season is that we have plenty of high-calibre players, it's just getting them fit and fitting them in that seems to be the issue. But MR did claim in lesser words that many of these players were ones who would come good in a season rather than now so I suppose all we can do is be patient.

I agree, JJ was always going to be up against it once we got promoted as firstly he has to get up to the fitness levels required at this level and then he has to find his feet and adapt to the quality that League One demands. He's a great player so the latter shouldn't be too much of an issue for him but IMO it'll take him another 2-3 months minimum before we start seeing the same JJ again and even then he may not be 100% as on top of coping with the demands of the league, getting mentally fit is going to be the biggest challenge for him. This is all dependant on the results from his scan though. If he's out for another prolonged period it could very well be the end of JJ at CCFC.

Perhaps but I thought Bayliss looked poor for the most part when he played there last season. He's hardly ripping up trees playing in the middle of the park this season, but I can't see him fairing any better if he's deployed out wide.

Magwitch

Bosma a ridiculous signing people will say he is cheap but unless he costs nothing he is overpaid couldn’t even get in the Southport team.[/QUOTE]

I don’t get that comment with respect, I’m guessing like most you haven’t seen him play but because he isn’t in the Southport team all the time he’s a write off, he was never going to be in our first team from the onset and MR rightfully loaned him out as he has done with a few this season. There is a number of players not near the first team at the moment, Westbrooke, Walters , Williams, Allassini even Ponticelli, Dominic Hyam is an example hardly near the first team for his first 6 months and that was when we were in division 4. Now one of our better players. Give players a fair chance

SkyBlueCRJ

I think what he's probably getting at is that at 22, Bosma really should be finding his feet and pushing on, whereas he's not even playing for a club who compete at the highest level of non-league. Whereas all those players you just mentioned are 18-20 when they signed and have years left to develop. With Bosma, it's now or never really.

Magwitch

I agree to an extent but to write him off as a ridiculous signing is in itself ridiculous, reports I’ve read about him are he’s a big tough lad who loves a tackle, just what we need. I think he’s back or was so let’s give him a fair chance

Warwickhunt

wonder what would happen if someone came in with a ridicoulous offer for Burge?

SkyBlueCRJ

I agree to an extent but to write him off as a ridiculous signing is in itself ridiculous, reports I’ve read about him are he’s a big tough lad who loves a tackle, just what we need. I think he’s back or was so let’s give him a fair chance

Yeah I agree no one should completely write him off but at the same time they shouldn't exactly get too excited. You can be a big tough lad who loves a tackle and still be a terrible footballer. There are other players of his ilk I'd rather us go for than wait for Bosma to come good, which at the moment isn't looking likely. E.g. Matt Crooks from Northampton.

steve82

Exactly, I for one was thrilled when we brought him in as I knew of his pedigree beforehand from his successful spells at Yeovil, Walsall and Bradford. But as you said he's still young and is an ideal player for MR to develop. But how much time can we afford to play him in a position that he is neither comfortable in or enjoying? I was ready to accept that this season would be one of consolidation, however now we're sitting just 2 points outside the play-offs, who's to say we can't push on and get into one of those final four spots come the end of the season. Realistically the only way we can do this is by being the best that we can possibly be - and this is only done by strengthening in Jan.

I think what's the most frustrating thing about this season is that we have plenty of high-calibre players, it's just getting them fit and fitting them in that seems to be the issue. But MR did claim in lesser words that many of these players were ones who would come good in a season rather than now so I suppose all we can do is be patient.

I agree, JJ was always going to be up against it once we got promoted as firstly he has to get up to the fitness levels required at this level and then he has to find his feet and adapt to the quality that League One demands. He's a great player so the latter shouldn't be too much of an issue for him but IMO it'll take him another 2-3 months minimum before we start seeing the same JJ again and even then he may not be 100% as on top of coping with the demands of the league, getting mentally fit is going to be the biggest challenge for him. This is all dependant on the results from his scan though. If he's out for another prolonged period it could very well be the end of JJ at CCFC.

Perhaps but I thought Bayliss looked poor for the most part when he played there last season. He's hardly ripping up trees playing in the middle of the park this season, but I can't see him fairing any better if he's deployed out wide.

We are only 2 point outside the play offs currently tho Charlton and Blackpool both have a game in hand but in 5 games time when the window opens after the usual Festive period of games that will show us more where we are, a play off spot shouldn’t be out the question unless December is a car crash but over the next 20+ games as we should be a better side for the run in with a good January window to boost.

Personally it’s a year of consolidation for me, finish well and reshape the squad over the summer for a real good go for the top 6 in 19/20 season.

I think there is more to come from the side notably Chaplin, Bakayoko and Hiwula with hopefully Tom Bayliss hitting some form after the 1st half of the season settling into L1

steve82

wonder what would happen if someone came in with a ridicoulous offer for Burge?

I like these questions.... I think you’d have to say no in a January window given what’s generally available to replace and at what cost to do so.

Plus we’re already a senior keeper down.

We’ve not much else in the way of assets likely to attract attention this January doing the business so far in L1
Tom Bayliss is doing ok, not too consistent but ability is to see. One for a development squad maybe

Jordan Willis, current deal expires in the summer. Possible low end championship, top end L1 suitors only

Outside of that is basement deals your offloading to thin the squad

skybluetony176

A proven goal scorer at this level would be nice. Tom Eaves would be good but there’s a lot of interest in him from Hibernian and Sunderland apparently so will most likely be out of our price range (whatever our price range is). I think his contract is up in the summer so I would think that Gillinham would consider a serious offer in January, assuming that they can’t get him to extend his current contract that is.

steve82

A proven goal scorer at this level would be nice. Tom Eaves would be good but there’s a lot of interest in him from Hibernian and Sunderland apparently so will most likely be out of our price range (whatever our price range is). I think his contract is up in the summer so I would think that Gillinham would consider a serious offer in January, assuming that they can’t get him to extend his current contract that is.

Tom Eaves is a striker bag in form. I left him off my list as he’s out out league I feel. He’d suit both Sunderlands promotion bid and a Scottish prem side. Uche Ipeazu went in the summer from Cambridge and was a hit instantly.

There is still a place in the game for a traditional target man

skybluetony176

Tom Eaves is a striker bag in form. I left him off my list as he’s out out league I feel. He’d suit both Sunderlands promotion bid and a Scottish prem side. Uche Ipeazu went in the summer from Cambridge and was a hit instantly.

There is still a place in the game for a traditional target man

Just reading some of the local press and the manager is already talking about not relying on his goals so I think there’s every chance he’ll be moving in January. Love it to be us but can’t see it.

He’s a hell of a target man as well, 6ft 5 according to wiki.

Users who are viewing this thread