Your January transfer window (1 Viewer)

steve82

I’ve done a few hypothetical threads before and they’ve gone well so here’s another. The more people who join in gives a good indication of what we as fans are thinking.
We’re all managers I’m here with ideas on how we should play so this hypothetical scenario is to gauge the feeling amongst us on what you’d do in the next window to enhance the side.... there is some cash in the hypothetical pot so go for it....

We’re just a little over 5 weeks to go till the transfer window opens, you can make up to three signings if you wish.

What area are you strengthening and preferably name who your signing?

*Please remember it’s only hypothetical, so no need to get grumpy with anyones suggestions.... unless it’s bloody ridiculous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

steve82

I’ll kick it off....
1st off I want to improve our overall attacking threat in the box and set pieces, while this target man gives us a outlet too, gain us yards up the pitch too while I think Chaplin will thrive off him. My main target is Jayden Stockley of Exeter. I think he’s the ability to easily handle the step up in leagues, goals a plenty for him over the last 2 seasons.

2nd is a winger. No point in Stockley if you’ve no natural wingers to give service to those in the box
CJ Hamilton of a Mansfield, a natural winger can play right or left and can provide the service for Stockley to attack in the air. Quick, athletic and relatively young still so fits our recruitment strategy.

3rd is a central midfielder a powerful enforcer who can go box to box and sit in when instructed. A disciplined performer with years ahead of him.
Hiram Boateng of Exeter is my final player.

I believe these changes will enhance the starting 11 in lots of areas while suiting a 442 system bringing more out of existing players games and is for the future too

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Need to have a plan re .wingers. JJ may not get up to speed quickly enough and Thomas may be recalled. Would leave us blunt.

lifeskyblue

Was impressed by Boateng last year. Tough tackler yet also a good link player. Might work very well with Kelly.

JCH blows hot and cold...would like to see an old fashioned centre forward. Whoever it is we need Chaplin alongside (not 20yds behind) and runners from midfield.

Most importantly for me is get Thomas on a further loan or buy him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Need a winger plus Thomas loan extended, could do with Ogogo stepping up or a new midfielder to play Doyle’s role. I think that would push us forward enough to not need another striker. Chaplin just needs to play further up. We do need to start scoring goals though.

larry_david

Don't understand the boatang thing. I'm assuming everyone saying he's perfect based on that goal he scored in the play off semi against Lincoln. He's not scored since and recently out injured for 3-4 months

Nonleagueherewecome

Ogogo and Jones to get up to speed would be a huge boost to us
Starting to worry about these (and even more so Andreu and to some extent Kelly) now. I know they were bad knocks, but it's nearly December now and none of them look anywhere near. Will they be this season, or ever?

Nick

Administrator
Starting to worry about these (and even more so Andreu and to some extent Kelly) now. I know they were bad knocks, but it's nearly December now and none of them look anywhere near. Will they be this season, or ever?
You are right, there's only so long the excuse will last about injury

Nonleagueherewecome

You are right, there's only so long the excuse will last about injury
I wonder if our rehab is up to scratch? I fondly remember one 90's relegation battle season, all but writing us off...then suddenly SSN had pictures of "a surprise return to training by Noel Whelan", who had been out for ages, and sure enough he played the next game and most of the rest of the season.

steve82

Don't understand the boatang thing. I'm assuming everyone saying he's perfect based on that goal he scored in the play off semi against Lincoln. He's not scored since and recently out injured for 3-4 months

No my thoughts are not from that game, it’s from this season and last. Although that goal was nicely taken his game isn’t all about goals it’s about running the midfield and what he can bring, what his stats are saying he’s 5 assists from 14 league games this season and 12 in his 52 Exeter league games. Unfortunately he has picked up a hip flexor injury and out till January.

To the poster who said he was poor in the play off final, we won’t hold that against him this time... but to be honest Exeter as a side didn’t do them selves justice... thankfully.

Last edited:

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I'd definitely approve of us signing Stockley, he looked troublesome for our centre-halves at Wembley and clearly has the ability to score goals. I like parts of JCH's play but feel he's a bit inconsistent and a poor finisher. I can't see it happening if i'm honest and would still feel ok giving Chaplin and JCH longer to form an understanding. However if we are talking about hypothetical scenarios i'd love Stockley to be signed in January.

Other than a better centre-forward i'd not mind a player who is playing like i'd expected Ogogo to...not sure i'd know who that is right now though.

stevefloyd

No my thoughts are not from that game, it’s from this season and last. Although that goal was nicely taken his game isn’t all about goals it’s about running the midfield and what he can bring, what his stats are saying he’s 5 assists from 14 league games this season and 12 in his 52 Exeter league games. Unfortunately he has picked up a hip flexor injury and out till January.

To the poster who said he was poor in the play off final, we won’t hold that against him this time... but to be honest Exeter as a side didn’t do them selves justice... thankfully.

Just what we need somebody else injured and not fit

Nick

Administrator
What about outgoings? Most are under contract so would need to get somebody to buy them, pay them off or make a deal with the new club to buy them out.

Adge

What about outgoings? Most are under contract so would need to get somebody to buy them, pay them off or make a deal with the new club to buy them out.
Yep-that’s a good shout. Maybe Grimmer although I would keep him. We all know he’s been injured but seems to now be down the pecking order until the last couple of games?

steve82

Just what we need somebody else injured and not fit

I’ll be honest I wasn’t aware he’d picked up the injury but it’s only a 8-10 week job I think. Not a massive injury. It’s about moving the squad forward window to window so I’d not be deterred by it.

steve82

If your looking to move the club forward then you’d most probably look at freeing up Tony Andreu if he’s not gonna fit in MR’s plans. Likely a loan like Beavon to free up some funds and see his contract out.

Shipley and/or JJ I’d see about loan spells too if we had suitable wingers on the radar to come in with Thomas extend his loan.

Allassani and Ponticelli loans spells too.

As for any sales, I think you’d have to listen to what’s offered

covcity4life

If your looking to move the club forward then you’d most probably look at freeing up Tony Andreu if he’s not gonna fit in MR’s plans. Likely a loan like Beavon to free up some funds and see his contract out.

Shipley and/or JJ I’d see about loan spells too if we had suitable wingers on the radar to come in with Thomas extend his loan.

Allassani and Ponticelli loans spells too.

As for any sales, I think you’d have to listen to what’s offered

you have always championed selling willis because he is not just a big lug and actually is an athelete. would you like to sell him in january?

steve82

you have always championed selling willis because he is not just a big lug and actually is an athelete. would you like to sell him in january?

Don’t cloud the situation that not quite true.

I did a hypothetical post last summer yes, it was to see if people were keen on the idea of selling him to generate a pot to invest in the side given he was our most saleable asset at the time and most disposable at that point given the task in L2 facing us

It was met with a majority yes too.

I was keen to sell yes as he was a luxury to have in L2 and only had 12 months left on his deal. In all fairness the drop to L2 really helped his game like it has Lee Burge. It was like the perfect season long loan
It took Jordan Willis a good 20 games to find consistency at that level having been bullied a few times by some strikers.
He’s grown for the experience as a result and better for it.

twistandshout

1. Conor Chaplin (Portsmouth) Think its all but completed
2.Baily Cargill (MK Dons) Still yet to replace Rod
3. Chuks Aneke (MK Dons) If we lose Bayliss
4. Ogogo, Jones and Kelly match fit Andreu released.

Winny the Bish

We NEED a central midfielder who's more comfortable on the ball. Boateng is a nice shout for that, admittedly don't know all that many more tbh.

SkyBlueCRJ

IMO Andreu is crocked, and I've been saying since the summer it could be a long road back for him due to the severity of the injury he's suffered, especially at his age - and even then it's unlikely he'd ever be the player he once was. Considering he's probably one of our highest earners he should be moved on. Ogogo I fear was a one season wonder, plus he needs certain players around him for him to succeed. However as he's on a 3-year contract I'd like to see him stay until the summer and go from there. Jones will be fine (I hope), might just take him a while to get up to speed with the demands of the league and to get his match sharpness back.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyBlueCRJ

Winger, CM and perhaps another ST although we're already completely overloaded.

Perhaps a loan for Baka at a League 2 side for half a season might do him some good, but if MR is set on converting him to a proper CF then that's potentially out of the question.

EDIT: I'd also like to see some contract extensions. E.g. Davies, Willis, Burge

Old Warwickshire lad

Don’t cloud the situation that not quite true.

I did a hypothetical post last summer yes, it was to see if people were keen on the idea of selling him to generate a pot to invest in the side given he was our most saleable asset at the time and most disposable at that point given the task in L2 facing us

It was met with a majority yes too.

I was keen to sell yes as he was a luxury to have in L2 and only had 12 months left on his deal. In all fairness the drop to L2 really helped his game like it has Lee Burge. It was like the perfect season long loan
It took Jordan Willis a good 20 games to find consistency at that level having been bullied a few times by some strikers.
He’s grown for the experience as a result and better for it.

Willis has been our best defender for the last 3 seasons ( this one included).
He just doesn’t get the recognition he deserves.
And no I am not his dad ,-)

Users who are viewing this thread