Your Cov City Highlights ? (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Remember this too. They put netting in front of the stantions after this happened.

Seen that before on TV but wasn't at the match

usskyblue

Toby fair, from the other end of the ground, it looked (and sounded) like it hit the inside of the top of the post and came out.

Whoops

Terry_dactyl

5-1 against Liverpool
3-0 (or 3-1) against Villa same Xmas/new year
1-0 v Pompey (a personal favourite as it was the game that sent them down and the game I also discovered that my dad supported Pompey more than cov...”sit the fuck down” was the shout after we scored.

There are others.

covcity4life

off top of my head

1st ever game 1-1 vs whu in 1993 - roy wegerle scored
beating leicester 4-2 - seann flynn scored
losing to spurs 3-2 - sherringham scored a sublime lob. a gutting loss but just thinking of it reminds me of a day we were pretty much equals in a sense
beating arsenal 3-2 with robbie keane in 1999 - probably best game i ever saw live
beating wolves 2-1 westwood last min save in a packed ricoh
fa cup quarter final vs chelsea - sold out ricoh and a reminder of what we were and how exciting it would be to that again
checkatrade trophy win - feeling of winning this beats the playoffs a year later simply because i dont think cov would ever win something in my lifetime. final nerve wracking as well with that bigi block on line
playoff final win - a more important win, most important in my lifetime and a cov squad that will never be forgotten by me man for man.

Wiseoldfool

I've had an article published in Late Tackle football magazine, on my fifty years following the Sky Blues. I broke it down in sections : 60's 70s 80's 90's and the present. I wrote about winning promotion verses Wolves,our Cup Final victory, a violent incident at Stoke City, plus players and grounds etc. So what are your highlights etc since supporting the City ?
Going back a bit, but two games within a week of each other in 1963. I was 14 years old at the time.

Coventry 2 Sunderland 1 FA Cup 5th round 25/3/63
Attendance 40,487
Scorers: George Curtis and Dietmar Bruck.
An amazing game, Sunderland were two divisions above us.
More details:
Coventry City v Sunderland, 25 March 1963

The FA Cup quarter final between Coventry and Manchester United 30/3/63
Attendance 44,000 (2nd highest ever I think)
Terry Bly scored for us, Bobby Charlton (2) and Albert Quixall for them.
A fantastic game even though we lost 1-3.
Manchester United went on to win the cup.
More details:
Coventry City v Manchester United, 30 March 1963
I was at both them games also the atmosphere at the Sunderland night game was bouncing I think it was that game that got me hooked for life.

Covstu

Being a you get fan my first season was actually 87 so the obvious but other games that really stick out where the villa cup game and the away thrashing... the time, the atmosphere and their reaction were golden.

Getting relegated there will also stick for the wrong reasons

Liquid Gold

There must be an error in these videos, they look ancient but we were in the premier about 3 weeks ago weren't we?

no_loyalty

Strangely I enjoyed the Notts county away better than Wembley. There was just something special about that atmosphere in that stand that night.

Totally agree, probably the best away day ever for me personally

Legia Sky Blue

The other one was v Wimbledon at HR. You definitely picked the better one. This v Norwich was sick. Big C to Speedie...

He also scored similar goals at Forest, when we stuffed them 4-2, and at QPR. The QPR one was more of a lob from just inside their half which went sailing over David Seaman's flailing arms, setting a precedent for Nayim and Ronaldinho to follow in later years.

Gosb

Going back a bit, but two games within a week of each other in 1963. I was 14 years old at the time.

Coventry 2 Sunderland 1 FA Cup 5th round 25/3/63
Attendance 40,487
Scorers: George Curtis and Dietmar Bruck.
An amazing game, Sunderland were two divisions above us.
More details:
Coventry City v Sunderland, 25 March 1963

The FA Cup quarter final between Coventry and Manchester United 30/3/63
Attendance 44,000 (2nd highest ever I think)
Terry Bly scored for us, Bobby Charlton (2) and Albert Quixall for them.
A fantastic game even though we lost 1-3.
Manchester United went on to win the cup.
More details:
Coventry City v Manchester United, 30 March 1963
And we scored first against Man United. I remember the newspaper reporting that 'when the cheering had died down to a crescendo'.

Fergusons_Beard

Strangely I enjoyed the Notts county away better than Wembley. There was just something special about that atmosphere in that stand that night.

Same reason why I enjoyed Leeds 87 semi final more.

Hugged more strangers at the end of that game than I ever have at a City game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LastGarrison

Loads already mentioned but....

The Adebola goal at Blackburn was quality.
Beating Chelsea 4-1 whilst they were in our away kit.
Banik Ostrava and THAT goal from Tony Dobson.
Losing to Arsenal at Highbury but can still see Hadji’s last minute free kick hitting the bar.
Watford away last game of the season under Strachan. Atmosphere was class and again Hadji did a sublime bit of skill where he nearly scored from near the byline in their box.
Burnley away last game of the season when they had Gazza playing for them. Lee Hughes spent the last 5 mins of the game man marking him just so he could get his shirt. Had been in Blackpool the night before for a Stag Do.
Dean Holdsworth peach against Cardiff in the cup.

Jcap

Watching from the North Bank at Highbury (with my Arsenal supporting mate) when we beat them 2-1 and Lee Dixon’s lobbed own goal over Seaman from 25 yards in the first few minutes. I think Furlong scored the second goal. How I didn’t jump up and get myself beaten up I don’t know...

Terry_dactyl

Watching from the North Bank at Highbury (with my Arsenal supporting mate) when we beat them 2-1 and Lee Dixon’s lobbed own goal over Seaman from 25 yards in the first few minutes. I think Furlong scored the second goal. How I didn’t jump up and get myself beaten up I don’t know...
That reminds me...another one for me was a 0-0 draw at Highbury. Dublin played centre half and oggy had his nose broken (again) by Ian Wright. In the 2nd half it felt like we didn’t get out of our penalty area let alone our half - they battered us. I remember Dion’s Telescopic leg clearing a ball off the line, seemingly in slow motion. We were right down the front so felt almost part of the action. Possibly the best 0-0 result I’ve seen.

Garryb80

Same for me. It was the weeks build up both sets of fans and the confidence. Before the game both sides made plenty of noise and ultimately we played one of our best away games in years.

bringbackrattles

As we're at home on Boxing day this year, let's hope we get a game like the one in 77/78 season on the 27th of December. When we beat Norwich 5-4 on a freezing day, what a match this was. A group of us were in the West End still in the party mood, and we were treated to one of the most exciting games I'd ever seen. We still talk about it now and then as it had the lot !

clint van damme

As we're at home on Boxing day this year, let's hope we get a game like the one in 77/78 season on the 27th of December. When we beat Norwich 5-4 on a freezing day, what a match this was. A group of us were in the West End still in the party mood, and we were treated to one of the most exciting games I'd ever seen. We still talk about it now and then as it had the lot !

the best game I ever witnessed at HR, followed by the 3-2 Christmas win over Spurs in 86. Think that was on 27th December as well.

Mucca Mad Boys

Remember being devastated they got rid of Eric just when it seemed like we were on the edge of being a truly great team.

What ever happened to Bjarni Gudjohnsen?

Appointing Peter Reid instead of Eric Black is the greatest 'what if?' in my time as a supporter. Yet, when we gave Andy Thorn the full-time job, he did terribly and a lot of us would've felt that same 'what if?' feeling had he not been appointed. With hindsight, Eric Black should've 100% got a chance but the fact he never takes on a full-time role suggests something.

Sick Boy

Appointing Peter Reid instead of Eric Black is the greatest 'what if?' in my time as a supporter. Yet, when we gave Andy Thorn the full-time job, he did terribly and a lot of us would've felt that same 'what if?' feeling had he not been appointed. With hindsight, Eric Black should've 100% got a chance but the fact he never takes on a full-time role suggests something.

And there were some shocking results but they seem to get forgotten.

steve82

Sept 1992, First ever game aged 10 v spurs at Highfield Road for a very early version of Monday night football live on sky. Recall the dancers and usual build up.
Sat next to Ossie Ardelies too.

January 2002: wolves away for no reason other than my first game in nearly 10 years.

October 2002: Richie Partridges goal against Norwich

January 2003: Notts Forest away Juan Saha, Jesus loves you.

December 2003: home to West Brom, Jonnie Jackson 89th min

April 2005: Last game at Highfield Road v Derby.

August 2005: QPR first game at the Ricoh.

March 2009: FA Cup v Chelsea with a packed Ricoh.

November 2013: The magic of Chris Maguire at MK Dons away.

Sept 14: The return to the Ricoh

April 2017: Wembley checkatrade trophy.

Nov 2017: A great come back at Lincoln away. Great atmosphere that second half.

Jan 2018: Win against Stoke in the FA Cup

March 2018: Mansfield away. Point was the turning point for the run in

May 2018: Notts County 2nd leg

May 2018: Wembley L2 play offs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adge

you're a ray of sunshine as usual.
No getting away from it-I went and it was abysmal. I wish they gave Black the job again 2nd time as his name appeared every time another of our managers got the sack. We could then lay the Myth to rest when he turned out to be another Thorn and we could all shut up about him and move on.

clint van damme

No getting away from it-I went and it was abysmal. I wish they gave Black the job again 2nd time as his name appeared every time another of our managers got the sack. We could then lay the Myth to rest when he turned out to be another Thorn and we could all shut up about him and move on.

but the thread title is Cov City highlights, not moan like fuck about unresolved grudges from twenty years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread