Would anyone like Robins back at Cov (4 Viewers)

ajsccfc

If there's a job opening, plenty of managers would be interested. Never mind the fact that this particular one gives you a ready-made excuse if you fail or if you decide to walk out for a more cushy number, it's a no-lose situation even if you lose most your games.

Sky Blue Dal

The majority of unemployed former Championship and L1 managers, I would imagine. It's a job - a six figure job at that - and a chance to get back in the game and rebuild their reputation.

Build there reputation?? How are they suppose do that with the resources they have. SP reputation has only been built up as he successfully helped the Sky Blues recuperate the 10 point deficit handed down to us and survived relegation. But this season them good players we had have now been shipped out and we probably have a weaker team than last season. How is a new manager suppose to rebuild is reputation on this. Have to be suicidal I think.

Impossible to say. I think it's always pot luck. Since exiting the Premier League, our best managers have been Nilsson, Black and Robins, who IMO outperformed more experienced managers like Reid, Adams and Coleman. Go figure.

Adams was pretty decent with us I thought. The best finish we ever had in the Championship was under him.

Last edited:

Gint11

Robins can fuck off. Jumped ship on us (understand his reasons) but still. Bringing him back is going backwards. Always move forward.

Colonel Mustard

Adams was pretty decent with us I thought. The best finish we ever had in the Championship was under him.

You're not alone in thinking that and may be right. I just don't think that much of him because of the Wise inflationary effect (though you could give MA credit for bringing him in) and because he ultimately lost the dressing room. Outside of the Wise window, results weren't impressive and the turnover of players was immense.

Marty

Robins is a far better manager then Pressley, but I wouldn't want him back after the way he left.

Sky Blue Dal

You're not alone in thinking that and may be right. I just don't think that much of him because of the Wise inflationary effect (though you could give MA credit for bringing him in) and because he ultimately lost the dressing room. Outside of the Wise window, results weren't impressive and the turnover of players was immense.

Yes I remember that now.

NorthernWisdom

tbf, loyalty didn't do Adams much good, when he turned down the chance to talk to West Brom to stay with us and was then promptly sacked... so not sure you can blame Robins (or anyone) for leaving a football job.

skybluepm2

Bloody hell ... Pressley hasn't gone so why bang on about a new and replacement manager.

Alright Alright Dal boy, calm down you plonker! Forum's are there for hindsight, current and potential future issues, anything goes. It doesn't have to be fact...seeing as though he is odds on favourite for the job at Huddersfield there is a distinct possibility he will move on. If not, we can go back to slagging off SISU again until we give them a day off on Saturday by turning our attention to the players and management for losing to Sheff United ;)

Sky Blue Dal

tbf, loyalty didn't do Adams much good, when he turned down the chance to talk to West Brom to stay with us and was then promptly sacked... so not sure you can blame Robins (or anyone) for leaving a football job.

Sacking has become a curse in our football club. Not a good reputation to have.

skybluepm2

We should be encouraging him to stay instead of helping him make his decision for him plus making him feel unwanted.

I think he has done a grand job considering the resources our crappy owners have given him and minus the 10 points.

Even if Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger were to manage us today could not do better.

He is the only decent thing we have in our club and we showing him the way to the door.

Wake Up.

4 wins in 26 doesn't scream grand job. Yes his best players have been sold but he has raved about the shite he has brought in ever since bloody Manset, Webster and Slager. Judgment reserved until 10 games in on his latest batch. Who needs a new manager when you can turn over the playing squad every season?

Sky Blue Dal

Alright Alright Dal boy, calm down you plonker! Forum's are there for hindsight, current and potential future issues, anything goes. It doesn't have to be fact...seeing as though he is odds on favourite for the job at Huddersfield there is a distinct possibility he will move on. If not, we can go back to slagging off SISU again until we give them a day off on Saturday by turning our attention to the players and management for losing to Sheff United ;)

You made a valid point Rodney you dipstick!! :D

Sky Blue Dal

4 wins in 26 doesn't scream grand job. Yes his best players have been sold but he has raved about the shite he has brought in ever since bloody Manset, Webster and Slager. Judgment reserved until 10 games in on his latest batch. Who needs a new manager when you can turn over the playing squad every season?

So you think a new manager will not be making any of these same mistakes with his hands tied??

Agree with you that judgement is reserved for the next 10 games but do feel it will be a struggle with the quality of our squad.

ccfc1234

We should be encouraging him to stay instead of helping him make his decision for him plus making him feel unwanted.

I think he has done a grand job considering the resources our crappy owners have given him and minus the 10 points.

Even if Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger were to manage us today could not do better.

He is the only decent thing we have in our club and we showing him the way to the door.

Wake Up.

Are you joking alex ferguson and Jose would do a far better job than SP has to date. You must be SP biggest fan to think otherwise!!

Sky Blue Dal

Are you joking alex ferguson and Jose would do a far better job than SP has to date. You must be SP biggest fan to think otherwise!!

Not a SP fan but being a realist... even Alex and Jose will struggle with what SP has at his disposal.

We will never know as Jose and Alex are used to spending millions and would not know what to do with a bunch of Loans and freebies but SP has got that experience on his belt.

Last edited:

mds

Lets get another manager this ones shit, 10 managers in 10 years or there abouts. No-one stands a chance at this club reading this forum.
There isnt a manager out there that could do a "far better" job given the circumstances, there may be one or two that may make a difference, seriously, would anyone of them want to come to us?
We need some stability with a manger in for a full term, if he fails so be it, if he makes a success all the better but a constant turn over of managers will never bring us anything but failure and misery.
The proof is in the history.

Sky Blue Dal

Lets get another manager this ones shit, 10 managers in 10 years or there abouts. No-one stands a chance at this club reading this forum.
There isnt a manager out there that could do a "far better" job given the circumstances, there may be one or two that may make a difference, seriously, would anyone of them want to come to us?
We need some stability with a manger in for a full term, if he fails so be it, if he makes a success all the better but a constant turn over of managers will never bring us anything but failure and misery.

At last someone can see for what it is.

:claping hands:

mark82

There'd always be someone...

Although tbh results to me are ultimately irrelevant as they'll follow if the foundations are right. Thought at the time we had our decent half season under Adams, once we were safe we should've used the players to be at the club the next season rather than playing Wise, and our form after showed I might have been right.

Ditto with Pressley. He does at least have an awareness the club needs foundations. He's not being given all the tools he needs, but I am glad he buys into having a decent youth setup and actually playing the kids, rather than 38yo wasters.

I do agree with this, however, he doesn't seem to be able to spot a decent signing - there were plenty out there in our budget.

The main thing for me, particularly it seems this year, is his tactics. Yes, we had a good 2 or 3 months at the start of last season, but no one can argue that either the football or results have been good or even acceptable since January. I genuinely hope he turns it round but can't see it at the moment.

Public opinion is starting to shift too, that's normally the start of the end.

fernandopartridge

Who was the last manager we had for a full 3 seasons?

Strachan. 96-2001

Before that? Sillett 87-90

Before that? Gordan Milne 74-81

All 3 achieved decent top division finishes (11th being equal best Prem finish for Strachan, 7th for both Sillett and Milne)

fernandopartridge

I do agree with this, however, he doesn't seem to be able to spot a decent signing - there were plenty out there in our budget.

The main thing for me, particularly it seems this year, is his tactics. Yes, we had a good 2 or 3 months at the start of last season, but no one can argue that either the football or results have been good or even acceptable since January. I genuinely hope he turns it round but can't see it at the moment.

Public opinion is starting to shift too, that's normally the start of the end.
We've played two games. 2 of his bigger signings have played once. Give them a fucking chance.

mark82

Who was the last manager we had for a full 3 seasons?

Strachan. 96-2001

Before that? Sillett 87-90

Before that? Gordan Milne 74-81

All 3 achieved decent top division finishes (11th being equal best Prem finish for Strachan, 7th for both Sillett and Milne)

Would argue we kept Strachan too long though.

Greggs

It's not his first season here is it?

Name me a Pressley signing from last season that did well.

That kid from QPR, with resources we could have kept him. But i get your point!

mark82

That kid from QPR, with resources we could have kept him. But i get your point!

Yeah, I'll give you that one. Thought Marshall was ok and could have done a job too. Struggling after that.

I'll add Reds Johnson from this season too.

skybluepm2

So you think a new manager will not be making any of these same mistakes with his hands tied??

Agree with you that judgement is reserved for the next 10 games but do feel it will be a struggle with the quality of our squad.

I feel sorry for SP and what he has had to put up with. I doubt that when he took the job he foresaw any of the past 18 months. Anyone would struggle with the standard of squad we have now but he doesn't help himself in press conferences, especially giving the superlatives that he does. Jack Finch as 'terrific' is as far from the truth as you are going to get.

I would like to see what he could do if given some money but doubtful that will ever happen unfortunately.

Colonel Mustard

'Stability' is a nice word, especially for a club whose recent history has been as turbulent as City's. We're all responsive to it.

There are problems, though. The first is that in the modern game, successful managers are likely to jump ship (e.g. Robins). The second is that there is no solid body of evidence I can see that shows keeping managers in place for a long time is more likely to lead to success. The third is that because of the nature of the league system, stability for stability's sake can lead to greater deterioration of a club (e.g. Thorn).

FWIW I'd like to see people be more patient with Pressley. His job last season was to keep the team up: done. Now he's brought in a wave of new players who he feels have the right attitude. Some time to gel is needed - and has been earned.

Greggs

Yeah, I'll give you that one. Thought Marshall was ok and could have done a job too. Struggling after that.

I'll add Reds Johnson from this season too.

Too early with Reda, injury prone and not very good at defending!

Users who are viewing this thread