Worst CCFC Team - Manager (40 Viewers)

torchomatic

True. I forgot to add McAllister. He was shit too. Not as shit as Strachan though.

An emotional list rather than an accurate one.

Rodders1

The Celtic comment was more an aside regarding the current incumbent.

Strachan is proof manager stability is nonsense. They decline rapidly and you just need to know when to push the button.
So true - it is all about the times it 'clicks' for a manager and his team. Just look at Ranieri now. No one saw that coming.

Back to the OP. Strachen isn't in this list for me. Big Ron and Peter Reid were laughably terrible.

Grendel

True. I forgot to add McAllister. He was shit too. Not as shit as Strachan though.

To suggest Strachan was worse than many other managers is absurd.

You thought that before his final season did you?

fernandopartridge

He was dreadful, if you think about it rationally, the team with Robbie Keane in failed to achieve an away win all season. The team that were relegated had players good enough to stay up.

Joy Division

He was dreadful, if you think about it rationally, the team with Robbie Keane in failed to achieve an away win all season. The team that were relegated had players good enough to stay up.

The season we failed to win away from home was dubbed 'the entertainers' era. Still makes me laugh that, think I did nearly every away game that season and I definitely wasn't laughing then.

torchomatic

Yes.

Grendel

He is a manager still. To suggest he was a worse manager than Andy thorn is stupid.

Also by your logic Atkinson has to be worse. Keane was a young player here. To say Gordon Strachan is the worst manager in the history of this football club requires a lot more evidence than you supply.

Our team in the final season was not a great team by a long stretch.

So Gordon Strachan is a worse manager than let's say Don Mackay is he?

torchomatic

Strachan had a shedload of money available and we paid out the highest amount of money for fees and wages whilst he was in charge.

I certainly don't remember Don Mackay getting us relegated.

So Gordon Strachan is a worse manager than let's say Don Mackay is he?

torchomatic

I remember being surprised but quite excited when Butcher was put in charge. I suppose all I remember was the blood by his England shirt. How wrong I was.

I always thought it was odd giving untried ex-pros a stab at their first job in management, but fuck me we repeated the same errors with Neal, McAllister, Strachan, etc.

Im with Terry Gibson on this one for us it has to be either Terry Butcher or Don Howe

shy_tall_knight

Can't defend Butcher especially his tretment of Regis & Peake, but 90/91 his first season did ok in the end after a slow start

Phil Neal had been a managerat Bolton before as well as Assistant England Manager and assistant to Bobby Gould, hardly his first job in management.

Don Mackay - had Terry Gibson sold on him and he was replaced was a nackered Allan Brazil, he was responsible for bringing in Brian Borrows and Nick Pickering but also Wayne Turner and Greg Downes, 2 of the worst p[layers to play for the club

Joy Division

Strachan's signings

Darren Huckerby
£1,000,000

Gary Breen
£2,500,000

Alex Evtushok
£800,000

Simon Haworth
£500,000

Trond Soltvedt
£500,000

Kyle Lightbourne
£500,000

Martin Johansen
free

Magnus Hedman
£600,000

Roland Nilsson
£200,000

George Boateng
£250,000

Viorel Moldovan
£3,250,000

Phillipe Clement
£625,000

Jean-Guy Wallemme
£700,000

Robert Jarni
£2,600,000

Ian Brightwell
free

Paul Hall
£300,000

Robert Betts
£70,000

Marc Edworthy
£850,000

Steve Froggatt
£1,900,000

Laurent Delorge
£1,250,000

John Aloisi
£650,000

Morten Hyldgaard
£200,000

Mo Konjic
£2,000,000

Youssef Chippo
£1,000,000

Moustapha Hadji
£4,000,000

Runar Normann
£1,000,000

Robbie Keane
£6,000,000

Carlton Palmer
£500,000

Tomas Gustafsson
£250,000

Cedric Roussel
£1,200,000

Ysrael Zuniga
£800,000

Colin Hendry
£750,000

Jay Bothroyd
£100,000

David Thompson
£3,000,000

Craig Bellamy
£6,000,000

Ivan Guerrero
undisclosed

Jairo Martinez
undisclosed

Lee Carsley
£2,500,000

John Hartson
undisclosed

Julian Joachim
£2,000,000 (1)

Lee Hughes
£5,000,000

Keith O’Neill
£750,000

Youssef Safri
£750,000

TOTAL (excluding Hartson)
£56,840,000

Great manager

torchomatic

I know. Shocking the money he had and the total mess he made of it.

Strachan's signings

Darren Huckerby£1,000,000
Gary Breen£2,500,000
Alex Evtushok£800,000
Simon Haworth£500,000
Trond Soltvedt£500,000
Kyle Lightbourne£500,000
Martin Johansenfree
Magnus Hedman£600,000
Roland Nilsson£200,000
George Boateng£250,000
Viorel Moldovan£3,250,000
Phillipe Clement£625,000
Jean-Guy Wallemme£700,000
Robert Jarni£2,600,000
Ian Brightwellfree
Paul Hall£300,000
Robert Betts£70,000
Marc Edworthy£850,000
Steve Froggatt£1,900,000
Laurent Delorge£1,250,000
John Aloisi£650,000
Morten Hyldgaard£200,000
Mo Konjic£2,000,000
Youssef Chippo£1,000,000
Moustapha Hadji£4,000,000
Runar Normann£1,000,000
Robbie Keane£6,000,000
Carlton Palmer£500,000
Tomas Gustafsson£250,000
Cedric Roussel£1,200,000
Ysrael Zuniga£800,000
Colin Hendry£750,000
Jay Bothroyd£100,000
David Thompson£3,000,000
Craig Bellamy£6,000,000
Ivan Guerreroundisclosed
Jairo Martinezundisclosed
Lee Carsley£2,500,000
John Hartsonundisclosed
Julian Joachim£2,000,000 (1)
Lee Hughes£5,000,000
Keith O’Neill£750,000
Youssef Safri£750,000
TOTAL (excluding Hartson)£56,840,000

Great manager

torchomatic

Ah, that's right about Neal. Forgotten he was at Bolton. Still shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near CCFC though.

Can't defend Butcher especially his tretment of Regis & Peake, but 90/91 his first season did ok in the end after a slow start

Phil Neal had been a managerat Bolton before as well as Assistant England Manager and assistant to Bobby Gould, hardly his first job in management.

Don Mackay - had Terry Gibson sold on him and he was replaced was a nackered Allan Brazil, he was responsible for bringing in Brian Borrows and Nick Pickering but also Wayne Turner and Greg Downes, 2 of the worst p[layers to play for the club

Samo

Well folks, this is it, the final installment of my quest to find Coventry City's worst ever team. We've got the players, now all we need is a manager. So over to you lads (and lasses). Pick a manager fitting of the hot seat with the worst ever CCFC line up. I'll recap the full team on Thursday's episode of Sports Lounge, 10am til 12 on 98.6 Hillz FM

Are you not doing worst kit man... ball boy... tea lady?

torchomatic

usskyblue

Strachan wasn't the worst, even if you take in to account the quality of players he worked with, and their value in monetary terms.

You need not look further than Thorn, who was a non-manager. And Butcher, if you want a runner-up.

torchomatic

Each to their own, of course. However, he's number one on my (s)hit list.

Strachan wasn't the worst, even if you take in to account the quality of players he worked with, and their value in monetary terms.

You need not look further than Thorn, who was a non-manager. And Butcher, if you want a runner-up.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Gormless Strap-on. Always hated the twat!

Rodders1

It's a difficult one. I agree he's probably not the worst (strachen).

But if you look at it holistically- he was the first manager to get us relegated in our history after 34 years in the top flight.

And aided to the financial predicament we're in now.

stevefloyd

Andy Thorn and Butcher who sold /got rid of Regis after just buying non league Paul Furlong, a season playing along Cyril would have done Furlong wonders

Grendel

It's a difficult one. I agree he's probably not the worst (strachen).

But if you look at it holistically- he was the first manager to get us relegated in our history after 34 years in the top flight.

And aided to the financial predicament we're in now.

Which is more a fault of the chairman and the misguided belief managers recover once they hit a downward curve

Strachan would not be on the list had he not outlived his usefulness. Managers regardless of prior form must be sacked when the curve descends - it never recovers

torchomatic

So you should no longer have a go at Thorn. It was the chairman's fault.

Which is more a fault of the chairman and the misguided belief managers recover once they hit a downward curve

Strachan would not be on the list had he not outlived his usefulness. Managers regardless of prior form must be sacked when the curve descends - it never recovers

Joy Division

Andy Thorn and Butcher who sold /got rid of Regis after just buying non league Paul Furlong, a season playing along Cyril would have done Furlong wonders

To be fair, Butcher was proved right with the Furlong signing. Went on to have a decent career afterwards.

Grendel

So you should no longer have a go at Thorn. It was the chairman's fault.

Er no the curve never rose. It stayed at below expectation on day one. Strachan was always a capable manager but he hit the downward curve.

Still I am sure Southampton and Celtic wished they had him in charge instead of Strachan

He is clearly the worst as he wasn't a manager was he? It's nonsense. He couldn't even hack it at non league level

Grendel

I guess in that case he is exempt from this poll

Well this poll has the worst goalkeeper as someone who played one game in front of 300 travelling fans in the 90's so its hardly representative is it

By the way what was the sales under Strachan so we see the net spend and what was the same data for Atkinson

stupot07

Andy thorn, Peter Reid, terry Butcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

eastwoodsdustman

Coleman and Reid. Look at the win% on the first page and it shows how bad Coleman really was with the decent squad we had at the time.

Malaka

Terry Butcher without a doubt in my mind, he broke up the meanest defence we ever had only team who conceded less was One Nil to The Boring Boring Arsenal!

Users who are viewing this thread