Worst CCFC Team - Manager (1 Viewer)

Well folks, this is it, the final installment of my quest to find Coventry City's worst ever team. We've got the players, now all we need is a manager. So over to you lads (and lasses). Pick a manager fitting of the hot seat with the worst ever CCFC line up. I'll recap the full team on Thursday's episode of Sports Lounge, 10am til 12 on 98.6 Hillz FM

shy_tall_knight

I think you have ve to judge them based on also the money that they spent, mot just their results, BigRon was 21 months of promises but we rarely looked better than relegation candidates despite spending loads of money. Although Reid was awful he didn't have a great deal of funds, but Coleman did and he massively underachieved in over 2 seasons.

hy would anyone put Phil Neal down is beyond me, finished the 93/94 season 11th out of 22 in the Premier League, the following season he spent the Babb transfer fee on Dion Dublin, although the 94/95 season started slowly he won his last game at Palace. He was booted to big in BigRon what a mistake

chiefdave

We're like a managers graveyard. Does any other club have such a poor record for managers success after they've gone?

I'm struggling to think of anyone who's done much since leaving. Suppose Coleman could be one but I think his 'success' is more down to the fact there's not a lot of competition for the Wales job and he's got Bale.

lifeskyblue

Strachan has done ok...took saints to FA cup final and Celtic into Europe (ok that's not difficult) and of course is the Scotland manager. But you right having CCFC on your managerial CV is usually the kiss of death to your career. Next step reporting occasionally on sky from some wet, windy conference stadium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lifeskyblue

We're like a managers graveyard. Does any other club have such a poor record for managers success after they've gone?

I'm struggling to think of anyone who's done much since leaving. Suppose Coleman could be one but I think his 'success' is more down to the fact there's not a lot of competition for the Wales job and he's got Bale.

Then it begs the question 'which club has the best record for starting or developing a managers career?

shy_tall_knight

Reid Dowie Neal Adams Boothroyd never again managed teams anywhere near our size despite having managed other clubs close to our size. Strachan did OK at Celtic & Scotland but failed at M'Boro BigRon spent some time at Forest before joiming the race equality commission.

Rodders1

Strachan has done ok...took saints to FA cup final and Celtic into Europe (ok that's not difficult) and of course is the Scotland manager. But you right having CCFC on your managerial CV is usually the kiss of death to your career. Next step reporting occasionally on sky from some wet, windy conference stadium

Strachan is overrated. The media and neutrals love him because he gives great sound bites.

The cold hard truth is couldn't get Scotland through the easiest ever qualification round for Euro16. Even Iceland with a 300k population qualified for it!

Celtic is no big deal. And he screwed up his time with Middlesbrough.

Great player though.

Esoterica

William Clayton - 0% win rate and some of the worst football I ever have ever seen!! Joking aside, I assume he lost most of the team to the horrors of WW1. Does anyone know the history from back then?

Grendel

Reid Dowie Neal Adams Boothroyd never again managed teams anywhere near our size despite having managed other clubs close to our size. Strachan did OK at Celtic & Scotland but failed at M'Boro BigRon spent some time at Forest before joiming the race equality commission.

Strachan did fine at Southampton as well - to even mention him in this conversation is a bit silly.

Reid if you look at his record wasn't any worse than most - he just arrived in very unpopular circumstances - phil
Neal was undone by that silly documentary but actually overachieved.

Grendel

Strachan is overrated. The media and neutrals love him because he gives great sound bites.

The cold hard truth is couldn't get Scotland through the easiest ever qualification round for Euro16. Even Iceland with a 300k population qualified for it!

Celtic is no big deal. And he screwed up his time with Middlesbrough.

Great player though.

So managers automatically are a success at Celtic are they?

Again you forget Southampton.

usskyblue

Strachan was not the worst, but did lose his way with us....especially given he had a wedge of parachute money to spunk away...which he did. I don't think anyone would challenge the opinion that; towards the end of his tenure, we played some utter garbage football.

Giving his son Gavin 16 appearances, and declaring (after failing to beat a 9 man Notts Forest at HR) that 'it's harder to play against 9 men' didn't help his credibility either.

torchomatic

Ooh, I've got a list:

1. Strachan
2. Butcher
3. Neal
4. Reid

Nantwich Skyblues

It is about the worst manager of our team , does not matter what they did at other clubs.. with the side strachan had he was shite end of!

CJ_covblaze

Jesus where do we start with this one. Take your pick from Iain Dowie, Andy Thorn, Gary Mac or Peter Reid

Grendel

Rodders1

So managers automatically are a success at Celtic are they?

Again you forget Southampton.

Come on - a "par" result at Celtic is to win the league. So what he did was no big deal.

Fair play he got Southampton to an FA cup final. But so have hull, Wigan , Stoke, Pompey, Cardiff, millwall.... In recent years.

Hence my point that he's overrated. Not terrible. But just not all that.

shy_tall_knight

Come on look at Big Rons record, the monry he spent / wasted Salako Jess Daish are prime examples.

Can't believe Neal is so unpopular, revisit his time here, part of a sucessful Bobby Gould era, and I'm sure when he was sacked we weren't in the relegation zone. Big Ron arrives and then there's a whole load of cash that was never made available to Neal. I do believe some are thinking of his time at England when making this choice.

Grendel

Come on - a "par" result at Celtic is to win the league. So what he did was no big deal.

Fair play he got Southampton to an FA cup final. But so have hull, Wigan , Stoke, Pompey, Cardiff, millwall.... In recent years.

Hence my point that he's overrated. Not terrible. But just not all that.

The Celtic comment was more an aside regarding the current incumbent.

Strachan is proof manager stability is nonsense. They decline rapidly and you just need to know when to push the button.

Users who are viewing this thread