Working to Become Financially Independent (1 Viewer)

Grendel

From what I’ve read she spends most Monday-Fridays there in the private quarters.

She spends the whole of July to October in Scotland and the Two months then in winter at Sandringham. So half the year she’s never in London.

tisza

He’s not going to get the nominations so I think he’s just throwing stuff hoping something gets him attention now.

To be fair to him, I think looking at the constitution as a whole (HoL, royals, bill of rights etc) is needed and I think the Tories are planning some stuff. But all this “ask the people” stuff is vague nonsense to avoid coming up with a popular policy. And Brexit should’ve shown us direct democracy isn’t always a smart idea.
wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson go after the Lords. Time has come for a massive look at the Lords. A 2nd house is fine to balance a democracy but not one that's based family, religious positions or basically "grace & favour appointments depending on who is in govt".

Sick Boy

wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson go after the Lords. Time has come for a massive look at the Lords. A 2nd house is fine to balance a democracy but not one that's based family, religious positions or basically "grace & favour appointments depending on who is in govt".

Look at it? He’s more likely to fill it with people sympathetic to him and his policies.

tisza

Look at it? He’s more likely to fill it with people sympathetic to him and his policies.
Not so sure. A lot of critics on both sides of the Commons.
Also since the 2018 reform not so easy for a govt to do. 15 year terms for appointed peers, "2 out, 1 in". Aim was to get the number down to a cap of 600 members

Terry Gibson's perm

Not so sure. A lot of critics on both sides of the Commons.
Also since the 2018 reform not so easy for a govt to do. 15 year terms for appointed peers, "2 out, 1 in". Aim was to get the number down to a cap of 600 members

It’s a paid retirement village, if you had thirty and they all stay awake that will be fine

stupot07

Heard about this one on 5Live this morning. But some commentator said that everyone loved Meghan when they were dating, and to the wedding and beyond. It was only when they they started displaying self-destructive behaviour and that not in keeping with royal protocol that the proles turned against her.

That's bollocks. The press were on her from the start. They met in July 2016, and just a few months later Harry release a statement condemning press treatment of her.

Meghan and Harry: a timeline of their highs, lows and media woes

Meghan and Harry: a timeline of their highs, lows and media woes

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

It looks like they want to be financially independent for the money coming in but slightly less independent for the costs going out. No posh school for the boy either home schooling is preferable

tisza

It looks like they want to be financially independent for the money coming in but slightly less independent for the costs going out. No posh school for the boy either home schooling is preferable
School the boy how they like. Don't think private education did much for Harry. Had to get special help to scrape 2 A levels.

This financial business is obviously heavily reliant on who they are hence the numerous trademarks they have registered.
Royal family want to keep her sweet. Let's face it any divorce from Harry will make this seem like a picnic. Books, exposés etc

shmmeee

School the boy how they like. Don't think private education did much for Harry. Had to get special help to scrape 2 A levels.

This financial business is obviously heavily reliant on who they are hence the numerous trademarks they have registered.
Royal family want to keep her sweet. Let's face it any divorce from Harry will make this seem like a picnic. Books, exposés etc

Half of what you pay for at private school is “special help”. My first GF was privately educated and came out with grades she wasn’t capable of in a million years.

tisza

Half of what you pay for at private school is “special help”. My first GF was privately educated and came out with grades she wasn’t capable of in a million years.
Not sure how well that reflects on you if she needed "Special help" to get by :)

Mucca Mad Boys

The press have been largely supportive compared to others who have gone before. They want a rock star lifestyle and adulation with no criticism - it’s not tenable. Fly round the world and flaunt opulence and then lecture on the impact of flights on climate change and then look shocked at the vitriol - seriously

Agreed.

A lot of people are keen to compare the press coverage of Megan compared to other royals. One example is about avocados with it being one of Kate’s favourite foods as well as Megan’s. With the coverage a lot more negative to Megan.

The difference isn’t ethnicity. The difference is that Megan and Harry will happily preach about climate change, whilst flying on 4 private jets in 11 days (including to a climate change summit). The impact of increased demand for avocados is causing a few issues such as deforestation and crime.

Then there’s stuff like raising their children ‘gender neutral’, stepping back from senior royal roles whilst wanting to keep their expensive security teams. Elizabeth II is a model constitutional monarch/royal family - they are to be seen and not heard in the public political realm.

Then, you’ve got this line about them wanting to ‘try’ to become ‘financially independent’ with their unbelievably privileged background is a bit of a slap to the face to millions of ordinary people.

They’ve been vocal, that’s fine. But, the press is always going to call out hypocrisy.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed.

A lot of people are keen to compare the press coverage of Megan compared to other royals. One example is about avocados with it being one of Kate’s favourite foods as well as Megan’s. With the coverage a lot more negative to Megan.

The difference isn’t ethnicity. The difference is that Megan and Harry will happily preach about climate change, whilst flying on 4 private jets in 11 days (including to a climate change summit). The impact of increased demand for avocados is causing a few issues such as deforestation and crime.

Then there’s stuff like raising their children ‘gender neutral’, stepping back from senior royal roles whilst wanting to keep their expensive security teams. Elizabeth II is a model constitutional monarch/royal family - they are to be seen and not heard in the public political realm.

Then, you’ve got this line about them wanting to ‘try’ to become ‘financially independent’ with their unbelievably privileged background is a bit of a slap to the face to millions of ordinary people.

They’ve been vocal, that’s fine. But, the press is always going to call out hypocrisy.

The more baffling part is that people are apparently fine with millions going to people for doing jack shit until they cross a line

Mucca Mad Boys

The more baffling part is that people are apparently fine with millions going to people for doing jack shit until they cross a line

I don’t disagree.

The monarchy has its uses, but I’m a republican by nature. In fact, before this and the Prince Andrew scandal, the monarchy was in a strong place. Now, with all this and with a potential king who has abused his his position in the past to influence policy as Prince. The monarchy is possibly about to face a crisis it may not recover from.

My favourite argument against a republic is ‘President Blair,’ ‘Johnson,’ ‘Cameron’ and so on... Yet, the archaic nature of the monarchy would mean had Prince Andrew had been born before Charles, our next king could’ve been associated with a paedophile.

Say what you want about any politician, left or right... at least they’re elected and can be sacked the next election.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t disagree.

The monarchy has its uses, but I’m a republican by nature. In fact, before this and the Prince Andrew scandal, the monarchy was in a strong place. Now, with all this and with a potential king who has abused his his position in the past to influence policy as Prince. The monarchy is possibly about to face a crisis it may not recover from.

My favourite argument against a republic is ‘President Blair,’ ‘Johnson,’ ‘Cameron’ and so on... Yet, the archaic nature of the monarchy would mean had Prince Andrew had been born before Charles, our next king could’ve been associated with a paedophile.

Say what you want about any politician, left or right... at least they’re elected and can be sacked the next election.

If the monarch effectively has no power or influence they have no purpose

If they actually do have power or influence the role shouldn’t be inherited

NorthernWisdom

even millennials in the latest poll voted overwhelmingly to keep its - its going nowhere
Wouldn't take much to change public opinion, and events like Harry's current actions may not help. It's currently supported as much because the Queen's known how to play the role - she keeps out of meddling, says little at all and even less that's controversial, and does what she's told. Now tbf Charles (now he's older!) and William *seem* to have been brought up in that tradition, but a false move or two and the institution could rapidly shed its support.

Grendel

Wouldn't take much to change public opinion, and events like Harry's current actions may not help. It's currently supported as much because the Queen's known how to play the role - she keeps out of meddling, says little at all and even less that's controversial, and does what she's told. Now tbf Charles (now he's older!) and William *seem* to have been brought up in that tradition, but a false move or two and the institution could rapidly shed its support.

The poll was done after this incident

shmmeee

Im a republican intellectually, if I was building a country from scratch I wouldn’t have a monarchy. But I think Liz has played it perfectly and is a unique character (war time experience, growing up without 24/7 media, etc). I can’t see anyone else managing to follow in her footsteps. It’s a Fergie at United situation I reckon.

Grendel

That's not what I said.

There will never be a desire for a republic. Politicians and the political process is very unpopular and very few people would desire another chamber and a President - it’s more a case of revising what you’ve got

tisza

Harry & Megan "threat" to do some US chat show and attack the Royal family and they could well bury themselves.
They know Royal family aren't going to go on "Oprah" etc. to defend themselves.
"Wash their dirty laundry in public" and my money would be on a backlash from British public.

Nick

Administrator
Harry & Megan "threat" to do some US chat show and attack the Royal family and they could well bury themselves.
They know Royal family aren't going to go on "Oprah" etc. to defend themselves.
"Wash their dirty laundry in public" and my money would be on a backlash from British public.

Just don't get a taxi in Paris if they attack the royals.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Should the views of the readers be blamed on the publishers though?

Maybe not, but the question needs to be asked why do so many people with that kind of mindset get drawn towards that publication? The presentation of the articles/columnists etc must appeal to them in some way.

Got an auntie who gets the Mail and is predominantly left wing (quite active in TU, animal cruelty, public services etc) but her immigration views are textbook Mail reader.

Users who are viewing this thread