Win promotion or the FA Cup ? (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

So what do you suggest? That we don’t try to get promoted in case we come straight back down?
This!!! I like Otis but posters who say shit like I don't wanna get promoted cos it's not fun to lose really piss me off

Maybe we are a yo-yo team for next decade. That be fun right?

Maybe we go down but we best man city and Liverpool along the way. People would remember that right? If a fa cup final win trumps promotion why can't beating Europes elite clubs trump playing stoke or Swansea and then finishing 8th?

shmmeee

I wonder if Brentford or Brighton fans thought the same as you?

People on here were adamant that Luton would get relegated with the lowest points in history, but they aren't even in the bottom 3!

You do realise that if we were to go up, we could invest in some quality players and make a good go of it?

This!!! I like Otis but posters who say shit like I don't wanna get promoted cos it's not fun to lose really piss me off

Maybe we go down but we best man city and Liverpool along the way. People would remember that right? If a fa cup final win trumps promotion why can't beating Europes elite clubs trump playing stoke or Swansea and then finishing 8th?

We’d be playing more of Europe’s “elite” ( 🤢 ) clubs in the Europa League arguably.

Johnnythespider

Good luck with getting the Premier League to expedite anything

Man City have 115 “FFP”charges pending, dating back to 2010. No sign of those charges even being heard yet.
Didn't they say there was a date set but not say when that is

Otis

You seem easily pissed off by a fantasy question. 😂

So many are saying FA Cup over promotion. About half, so why you have singled me out, I have no idea. 😂

I just want to feel we would be able to compete. No-one wants to be beaten 4 or 5 nil every week, whichever division.

I would love to be able for us to take some of these players to the Premier with us and not just have to replace them all.

Usually you can look and say "such and such would be okay in the Premier, and so would such and such etc."

Who is ready for the Premier out of our players? Sheaf, maybe? Quite a big maybe. Torp? Too early to tell yet. O'Hare is definitely a possibility. But who else? Anyone? Anyone at all?

Forest bought shed loads of players in and it very nearly backfired on them.

I would love us to go up and make a fight of it like Luton have so far, but really feel we are talking more in terms of Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Derby territory at present.

There is a lot of criticism of so many of the players we have here at the moment in the Championship. I just get the feeling we might have to replace pretty much the whole lot.

And like I keep saying, we lose every week in the Premier, that's the end of Robins and I bloody love the guy.

Simple really.

covcity4life

So many are saying FA Cup over promotion. About half, so why you have singled me out, I have no idea. 😂

I just want to feel we would be able to compete. No-one wants to be beaten 4 or 5 nil every week, whichever division.

I would love to be able for us to take some of these players to the Premier with us and not just have to replace them all.

Usually you can look and say "such and such would be okay in the Premier, and so would such and such etc."

Who is ready for the Premier out of our players? Sheaf, maybe? Quite a big maybe. Torp? Too early to tell yet. O'Hare is definitely a possibility. But who else? Anyone? Anyone at all?

I would love us to go up and make a fight of it like Luton have so far, but really feel we are talking more in terms of Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Derby territory at present.

There is a lot of criticism of so many of the players we have here at the moment in the Championship. I just get the feeling we might have to replace pretty much the whole lot.

And like I keep saying, we lose every week in the Premier, that's the end of Robins and I bloody love the guy.

Simple really.
Your basically saying you don't wanna try for fear of failing

Not a good mindset

Otis

Your basically saying you don't wanna try for fear of failing

Not a good mindset
Nope. Saying I don't wish to see us pummelled week in, week out.

I am not even certain we will make the top 6 this season. Fingers tightly crossed we will, but I feel we are still a bit fragile right now.

Anyway, the whole point of the thread as far as I am concerned is about now, right now. At this moment in time. The thread was started, because if we beat Maidstone we are just two games from the FA Cup final

It's based on that.

Ask me next season what I would prefer and I would say promotion, because we would have zero chance of winning the cup.

When is the last time we were in the quarter final of the FA Cup?

mmttww

Promotion.

New academy, new training HQ paid for. First time at that level for a huge chunk of the fans.

If the question was being asked when promotion was a fantasy, I'd get having a debate.

But we have a chance now, and if MR and co. stick around, probably will again next season.

FA Cup is every year. You don't get an MR, AV, DL and DK situation every year. Easy call, for me.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Here's my thoughts , some people say win the FA cup over promotion to the premier league, which means we have to beat the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Man United etc, so If we can beat them in the Cup then WHY can't we beat them in the Premier league?

Otis

Promotion.

New academy, new training HQ paid for. First time at that level for a huge chunk of the fans.

If the question was being asked when promotion was a fantasy, I'd get having a debate.

But we have a chance now, and if MR and co. stick around, probably will again next season.

FA Cup is every year. You don't get an MR, AV, DL and DK situation every year. Easy call, for me.
If we make the top 6 this season, I will think we have a very good chance of going up. Just think we are going to fall a bit short unfortunately. Probably down to injuries and being a bit short of depth of quality in the squad.

Otis

Here's my thoughts , some people say win the FA cup over promotion to the premier league, which means we have to beat the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Man United etc, so If we can beat them in the Cup then WHY can't we beat them in the Premier league?
That's the spirit.

Whisky? Rum? Vodka? What you been drinking?

mmttww

If we make the top 6 this season, I will think we have a very good chance of going up. Just think we are going to fall a bit short unfortunately. Probably down to injuries and being a bit short of depth of quality in the squad.

If we beat Preston I think we'll make it. That would leave us needing 6 wins. Could afford to lose to Leeds and Southampton, and draw with Hull and Ipswich. If we lost Wright or Simms for more than a couple of games, I'm with You but if we don't, I think it's on.

oakey

Many of us have seen City beat Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester utd, Tottenham, Chelsea, Villa, Wolves etc several times. It's always good to win but I honestly don't really savour these wins any more than I do beating Blues, Sunderland, Albion, Norwich, Leicester, Stoke etc.
I genuinely have no more interest in Liverpool/Utd/Arsenal than I do in Ipswich/Albion/Stoke. I only know more PL players because they're on TV so much.
Therefore winning the cup would be far more exciting and memorable than the odd highlight in some miserable seasons.

Otis

Many of us have seen City beat Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester utd, Tottenham, Chelsea, Villa, Wolves etc several times. It's always good to win but I honestly don't really savour these wins any more than I do beating Blues, Sunderland, Albion, Norwich, Leicester, Stoke etc.
I genuinely have no more interest in Liverpool/Utd/Arsenal than I do in Ipswich/Albion/Stoke. I only know more PL players because they're on TV so much.
Therefore winning the cup would be far more exciting and memorable than the odd highlight in some miserable seasons.
Yeah, get what you are saying. It's not the same as it used to be is it. There's a disconnect these days.

The Premier is like two separate leagues now.

Not sure how I would feel until we got there. I would think I would savour us beating Arsenal more than I would Stoke though. 😂

fatso

Simple really.
Your presuming we'd start the first game in the Premier league with the same squad that we currently have, which is rediculous imo.

Just for example, how many players did Forest sign when they got promoted?

What's to stop us signing 7 or 8 young ambitious players with Premier league experience, or bringing in some more foreign talent?

I don't see the likes of Wilson, Kelly, Tavarez, Dasilva, Eccles, Wright, Godden or Simms getting game time if we get promoted. (and that's just for starters)

They would be released/sold or left to train with little to no chance of game time.

Otis

Your presuming we'd start the first game in the Premier league with the same squad that we currently have, which is rediculous imo.

Just for example, how many players did Forest sign when they got promoted?

What's to stop us signing 7 or 8 young ambitious players with Premier league experience, or bringing in some more foreign talent?

I don't see the likes of Wilson, Kelly, Tavarez, Dasilva, Eccles, Wright, Godden or Simms getting game time if we get promoted. (and that's just for starters)

They would be released/sold or left to train with little to no chance of game time.
Think you need to read my post again Fatso. 😂 I have said pretty much that we can't go into the Premier with this squad.

Forest signed eleventy billion players I think and it took them forever to get going.

How much did they spend? Anyone enlighten me?

shmmeee

Think people underestimate the squad TBH. Look at Luton, I’d expect our business to look a lot like theirs. Unless Doug sells up to someone who wants to splash the cash ofc

Otis

Think people underestimate the squad TBH. Look at Luton, I’d expect our business to look a lot like theirs. Unless Doug sells up to someone who wants to splash the cash ofc
That's what I was trying to say. Luton have kept quite a lot of their players from the Championship haven't they?

I'd like us to be able to do the same, but not sure many at all can make the step up.

covcity4life

Think you need to read my post again Fatso. 😂 I have said pretty much that we can't go into the Premier with this squad.

Forest signed eleventy billion players I think and it took them forever to get going.

How much did they spend? Anyone enlighten me?
I dunno why u keep using forest as a bad example. Lots of teams don't spend big and go down. So a club that does spend big and stays up you say oooohh they nearly went down though.

Your just being silly on this one.

Otis

I dunno why u keep using forest as a bad example. Lots of teams don't spend big and go down. So a club that does spend big and stays up you say oooohh they nearly went down though.

I think I used Forest, because someone brought Forest up didn't they?

Simms is nowhere near looking like a Premier League striker right now is he.

But if he were to come good next season and I think he will, he might still develop into one.

Remember how Gyokeres looked when we first got him.

Boicey

But if he were to come good next season and I think he will, he might still develop into one.

You’ve gotta love that old trope that everyone, anyone will end up being Pele after a couple of seasons here. Nonsense. Gok was a gifted player.

Otis

You’ve gotta love that old trope that everyone, anyone will end up being Pele after a couple of seasons here. Nonsense. Gok was a gifted player.
He was. Didn't see much of that at first though did we. Loads on here slating him and I don't think Swansea were too unhappy to see him go either.

Boicey

He was. Didn't see much of that at first though did we. Loads on here slating him and I don't think Swansea were too unhappy to see him go either.
‘He was’ is the relevant part of this blurb.
The vast majority of the others aren’t. No matter how often the tired old trope gets wheeled out.

Otis

‘He was’ is the relevant part of this blurb.
The vast majority of the others aren’t. No matter how often the tired old trope gets wheeled out.
I agree.

I do think there is a good player in Simms there somewhere though.

I think we will hopefully see the best of him next year. He appears to me that he is very much a confidence player.

shmmeee

Viks quality was clear looking at footage of him before his Swansea loan TBF.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

And Forest are about to be deducted points for breaching FFP (or whatever it's called now)...

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We don't know who we might draw .

fatso

Simms just isn't in the same class as Gyokeres, never was, never will be.
The constant reference between the two, just because Gyok has a slow start, is ludicrous.

Gyok always showed more ability.

Users who are viewing this thread