Win promotion or the FA Cup ? (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

The lower levels of the league aren’t that great. Sheffield had zero intent to stay up and I don’t know what’s happened with Burnley but some clubs have hung on.
Sheffield United spent over £50m, they’re just not very good.

TomRad85

Sheffield United spent over £50m, they’re just not very good.
They probably got most of that from selling Ndiaye and Berge? There was never even a chance they were staying up imo, I don't think the owner gives a shit.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SBbucks

That we be best prepared for the Premier.

I don't think we are this season.

Flying in the top 2 and I would be a lot more confident.

We’ll have to wait a long time until we’re flying in the top 2. There’s always going to be 2 relegated teams with massive budgets that are taking the automatic places. Our realistic hope is always going to be via the playoffs.

SBbucks

Luton are coming down yes, but they’re certainly enjoying it.

Sheff Utd have a terrible owner. Soton weren’t a promoted side, and should never have gone down.

Robins only gets loads of stick in online echo chambers.

Why do you assume Luton are coming down? They are making a decent fist of it and both Forest and Everton will have further points deductions. Luton may go down but it’s by no means inevitable.

Otis

We’ll have to wait a long time until we’re flying in the top 2. There’s always going to be 2 relegated teams with massive budgets that are taking the automatic places. Our realistic hope is always going to be via the playoffs.
I don't see why it will necessarily be a long time. We have been improving year on year of late and look at Ipswich. 15 points ahead of us and only 3 points off the top 2 places.

Luton were flying last season weren't they. Really thought they were going to finish in the top 2 at one point.

fatso

FA Cup.

That's as much based on the fact that I think we would get absolutely pumulled every week in the Premier League and the taste of promotion would quickly sour.

Whereas, an FA Cup win would be cemented in the history books and be cherished forever more.

The FA Cup is a win. Promotion would just be setting ourselves up for an enormous fall.

If I thought we could survive in the Premier, then that would alter my choice.
I wonder if Brentford or Brighton fans thought the same as you?

People on here were adamant that Luton would get relegated with the lowest points in history, but they aren't even in the bottom 3!

You do realise that if we were to go up, we could invest in some quality players and make a good go of it?

Otis

I wonder if Brentford or Brighton fans thought the same as you?

People on here were adamant that Luton would get relegated with the lowest points in history, but they aren't even in the bottom 3!

You do realise that if we were to go up, we could invest in some quality players and make a good go of it?
They only aren't in the bottom three though because Everton have been docked points.

SBbucks

I don't see why it will necessarily be a long time. We have been improving year on year of late and look at Ipswich. 15 points ahead of us and only 3 points off the top 2 places.

Luton were flying last season weren't they. Really thought they were going to finish in the top 2 at one point.

Ipswich are only going in one direction, will likely finish 4th.
I’m not sure when Luton were ever going to finish in the top 2 last season. It was a 2 horse race for most of the season. Luton were 11 points behind second place at the start of January and the same in May.

Otis

Ipswich are only going in one direction, will likely finish 4th.
I’m not sure when Luton were ever going to finish in the top 2 last season. It was a 2 horse race for most of the season. Luton were 11 points behind second place at the start of January and the same in May.
4th is still top 6 though isn't it. Just shows that it isn't always only the relegated teams that are competing.

I think next year we should be stronger still. I would then expect more of a stab at the automatic places and promotion then.

I don't think we have enough quality now and would need a real rebuild. I think we still have a lot to iron out this season and am still not even convinced we WILL finish in the top 6.

I think Luton have kept quite a few from last season haven't they?

Skybluecol

Win the FA Cup without question....

Our name on THE Cup again would be unreal, European tour next season and we also have other seasons where we can try and get promoted !!

Como

Promotion would solve all our financial issues.

Luton and Utd I watched today and amazing the difference, feel really bad for Hamer.

Seaside-Skyblue

If we got promoted, we would get significant cash that could secure our future for years if utilised correctly. Some of that would obviously go on bringing new players in...it's stating the obvious that the current squad isn't premier league ready, no championship squad realistically is...that's why teams add to their squads when they go up. All this talk of not being ready for the prem, guess what, we never will be "ready"!

Then there's the parachute payments when getting relegated. I think for the financial aspect alone, its surely a no brainer to get promotion, even if we came down after one season.

That said, I respect everyone's opinion if they would rather see an FA Cup over promotion.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Houdi

I'm not sure the big financial injection you get from promotion is the panacea some people think it is.. Yes your income increases hugely, but so do a teams' outgoings, salary's soar, as do transfer fees asked for. West Brom, Norwich, Watford, Cardiff,, Swansea ,Huddersfield in the Championship, and sides now in League 1 like Wigan ,Blackpool, Reading, Derby have all reached the 'promised' land and have benefited from parachute payments . Most of these clubs don't seem to be that financially secure.

alexccfc99

Can't believe so many people are saying promotion and it is a sad indictment to the state of football these days

I would take not playing in the Prem for the next 10 seasons if we somehow fluked our way to winning the cup this year

alexccfc99

They probably got most of that from selling Ndiaye and Berge? There was never even a chance they were staying up imo, I don't think the owner gives a shit.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
He is skint - their fans call him 'Prince Pauper'

Even their side that got promoted the first time was a ragtag bunch of mostly freebies and loans which Wilder, to his credit got playing out of their skin!

Otis

Can't believe so many people are saying promotion and it is a sad indictment to the state of football these days

I would take not playing in the Prem for the next 10 seasons if we somehow fluked our way to winning the cup this year
If we beat Maidstone and then were really lucky enough to draw Blackburn, or Southampton or Leeds or Leicester, that would give us a great chance of getting to the semifinals.

Two games from glory.

All that needs to happen then is for the big boys to have a complete meltdown, play the worst game of their lives and to then have several players sent off and let in a number of own goals for us to be triumphant.

Easy peasey

Boicey

It’s all a bit academic isn’t it?
Are we going to beat Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The Walking Dead Easy Peasy GIF

alexccfc99

I think we could make a decent fist out of Man Utd or Chelsea at home - not saying we'd win but I reckon we woukd make it competitive

City or Liverpool no chance

Otis

Will they give a fuck if it ends that way?
I know. I agree, but it still stands. You say they are not in the bottom three, which of course is absolutely correct. It's just they only aren't due to another club being docked points.

If they were in the bottom three, I don't think we would be having the conversation.

Anyway, it's all fantastical.

But FA Cup for me. I am convinced we will be back in the Premier in the not too distant future.

Many, many teams have never won the FA Cup.

SBbucks

4th is still top 6 though isn't it. Just shows that it isn't always only the relegated teams that are competing.

I think next year we should be stronger still. I would then expect more of a stab at the automatic places and promotion then.

I don't think we have enough quality now and would need a real rebuild. I think we still have a lot to iron out this season and am still not even convinced we WILL finish in the top 6.

I think Luton have kept quite a few from last season haven't they?

Yes of course 4th is in the top 6, but it is not flying in the top 2 which was your original point. Playoffs are very achievable for any well run, well managed and well resourced club, but top 2 takes a miracle to get above 2 out of 3 relegated clubs.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs, I think our lack of real squad depth & injuries will see us fall short. I would be delighted to be proved wrong though! Hull strengthened massively in the January window, I would expect them and West Brom to finish above us.

Otis

Yes of course 4th is in the top 6, but it is not flying in the top 2 which was your original point. Playoffs are very achievable for any well run, well managed and well resourced club, but top 2 takes a miracle to get above 2 out of 3 relegated clubs.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs, I think our lack of real squad depth & injuries will see us fall short. I would be delighted to be proved wrong though! Hull strengthened massively in the January window, I would expect them and West Brom to finish above us.
I agree.

Yes, I was talking about flying. Just saying also that Ipswich have done brilliantly well. They are 15 points ahead of us and they have just come up from League One.

I don't think it's ever at all certain that those that come down from the Premier will always be challenging at the top of the Championship. Been so many cases of that not happening, i.e. Norwich, Watford, West Brom etc.

Definitely have a huge advantage, but I do think top 2 is achievable.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

They only aren't in the bottom three though because Everton have been docked points.
I doubt Everton will go down unless there are more points deductions coming they're way. Add back the points they lost and they're very comfortable. They're too good, sadly.

SBbucks

I doubt Everton will go down unless there are more points deductions coming they're way. Add back the points they lost and they're very comfortable. They're too good, sadly.

But another points deduction is coming their way. It’s the same charge and circumstance as the last one but for the next season, so can’t see how they won’t have points deducted. Their only hope is to play for time and hope they can push it into next season. Forest also will be deducted - they have admitted the charge but pleaded mitigating circumstances. Not sure being incompetent is as much of a mitigation as they think it is though.

Otis

But another points deduction is coming their way. It’s the same charge and circumstance as the last one but for the next season, so can’t see how they won’t have points deducted. Their only hope is to play for time and hope they can push it into next season. Forest also will be deducted - they have admitted the charge but pleaded mitigating circumstances. Not sure being incompetent is as much of a mitigation as they think it is though.
Be interesting to see what the punishments are.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I know where you're coming from. I wonder how many on here who were at Wembley in 87 are putting promotion first.

Promotion is great but for the best part of 34 years we were fighting relegation. The premier league can wait .

SBbucks

Be interesting to see what the punishments are.

It will. It’s bizarre that Everton are waiting for results of the first appeal while waiting for the second one to hit. I doubt whether the first one will be reduced much, if at all, and the second one should be 10 points again, and no doubt they will appeal that too!
It’s going to end up as a massive mess and may drag into the summer.

wingy

It will. It’s bizarre that Everton are waiting for results of the first appeal while waiting for the second one to hit. I doubt whether the first one will be reduced much, if at all, and the second one should be 10 points again, and no doubt they will appeal that too!
It’s going to end up as a massive mess and may drag into the summer.
They need to expedite it then and the others, the games they all play?

SBbucks

They need to expedite it then and the others, the games they all play?

Good luck with getting the Premier League to expedite anything

Man City have 115 “FFP”charges pending, dating back to 2010. No sign of those charges even being heard yet.

Users who are viewing this thread