Why is everyone so Anti Paul Ince? (2 Viewers)

AFCCOVENTRY

By Steve Stammers Comments 9 Jun 2012 21:30

Ince vow: This time I'll show 'em who's boss

Despite recent disappointments the man they called "The Guvnor" has declared himself ready to return to management

A time to forget: Paul Ince at Blackburn
Paul Ince is ready to return to what Sir Alex Ferguson calls “The Madhouse”.

A year older and considerably wiser, Ince believes the time is now right for him to relaunch his managerial career.

The former England midfield kingpin said: “I feel I am now better equipped than I was *before.

“I am 44, not 68. I feel I still have a lot to offer to football and I hope I can get the chance to prove that.

“If you actually look at the stats in my time in management, they were not bad at all,” said Ince, who has an impressive 43
per cent win rate in management.

“My first job was at Macclesfield, who were 92nd in the League when I took over.

Mentor: Sir Alex Ferguson
Getty

“That’s when Sir Alex sent me the ‘Madhouse’ message. But I kept the club up.

“Then I went to MK Dons. They won the division and the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – a genuine double.”

But it was his next experience that really left a sour taste in Ince’s mouth.

“When I was approached about the job at Blackburn, I did hesitate,” he recalled.

“What swung it was the thought of whether I’d get the chance again, so I took it. It was a real eye-opener.

“Suddenly there were stories appearing about a mutiny among the players.

“And yet not one of the players I ever worked with has ever come out and said anything that questioned me. They were all lies, pure and simple.

“What is true is that it was not easy from the start. A big player there was David Bentley. He had already told my predecessor Mark Hughes that he wanted a move.

Problems: David Bentley
“I took him with us to Germany for pre-season and he was messing about in training.

“I sent him home. Then Brad Friedel came and said he wanted to move as well. All this before the season had started.

“Then came more lies – like I was never there at training. “Never there? I lived 45 minutes away and we had great facilities.”

Since those days Ince’s life has changed.

He said: “I’ve taken my FA badges and I am pleased about that. The A licence was a great experience. It taught
me a lot about systems and tactics.”

And now he wants to get back into the fray.

“I have been very lucky in football and, to be honest, I don’t need to work again,” said Ince.

“But I am ready to be a manager again. I want to show how wrong those lies were that were spread about me, especially from my time at Blackburn.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-ince-is-ready-to-return-management-870355

AFCCOVENTRY

Paul Ince: I want the Wolves job
Friday 6th April 2012, 7:17PM BST.

Exclusive – by Tim Nash: Paul Ince today declared: “I’d take the Wolves job now,” after throwing his hat into the ring to succeed or work with Terry Connor.

The former Wolves captain is desperate to return to Molineux and relaunch his managerial career.

Ince spoke to chief executive Jez Moxey the day before Connor was appointed to the end of the season on February 24, claiming he was told the board wanted someone experienced.

But the 44-year-old former Macclesfield, MK Dons, Blackburn and Notts County boss believes he has all the qualities to take over a club he knows well.

“When I spoke to Jez about the situation, he said the job was about experience, but a day later they appointed Terry,” said Ince, who captained Wolves to the Premier League in 2003.

“With all due respect to ‘TC,’ I’ve got more managerial experience than him.

“I’ve saved teams from relegation, I’ve got teams promoted and I’ve managed in the Premier League.

“But the job at the moment is about motivating players and the fans and I feel I can do that.”

Ince is that keen to manage Wolves he is prepared to risk a relegation on his CV and start now.

“I feel should be at the club now,” he said.

“If someone said ‘take it for the last seven games’ I’d do it because it’s Wolves and they’re my club and they’re only going one way at the moment.

“Wolves is a massive club. I went there when they hadn’t been in the top division for 19 years and we won promotion at the first attempt and played there for four years so Wolves is a massive part of my life.”

Ince’s last job was at Notts County, where he was sacked a year ago after a club record nine defeats in a row.

But he saved Macclesfield from the drop against all the odds and won promotion with them and MK Dons and feels he could do a good job at Wolves.

“If I went there, they’d have nothing to lose,” he added.

“I’d tell the players the hard facts and say ‘everyone thinks you’re going down anyway’ and try to get something extra out of them.

Ince remains popular with Wolves fans and he topped an Express & Star poll in 2006 when he was interviewed for the job to succeed Glenn Hoddle before Mick McCarthy was appointed.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...aul-ince-i-want-the-wolves-job/#ixzz26lEXyfTV

AFCCOVENTRY

I find this quite interesting and to be honest defo something our club needs from Ince or Money etc...

“But the job at the moment is about motivating players and the fans and I feel I can do that.”

SkyBlue_Bear83

He sounds as if he would have a bigger ego than the players which could be a good thing

And he has learned about tactics and systems in his time out of the game, maybe he can now go into slightly more depth than 'shoot'

@richh87

His quotes about the Wolves job seem disrespectful to me.

Don't like the way he comes across in that video where he's interviewed either.

Can see why Sir Alex called him a big time charlie. Think he's all ego and not much of a deep thinker who'd get to the heart of the issues we've got.

Nonleagueherewecome

That's odd, someone claimed on here earlier that Sir Alex hates Ince-not according to Ince!

lopez04

I don't really understand everyone's hostility towards Ince on here, I think he would be a great motivator at this level and has shown that he CAN produce winning teams and mentality. But I think I'm massively in the minority here...:whistle:

skyblueman

Actually I think he might have a bigger short-term impact than Robins but I just think robins has much more potential to re-build us top to bottom so he's my preference

zimmerman

we need to support whoever gets the job i remember newcastle fans were dead against pardew but hes done a decent job there so if ince gets it give the guy a chance

Chipfat

Ince and Robbins say more about where we are as a club than the two names. Did we really have any other options, 70 might have applied but how many were realistic in terms of what they wanted in wages and ability to spend on the squad.. Sisu, TF have made decision that have brought us to this point, so it does'nt matter for me who is given the chance, i wish them well and luck as i think they will need it.

zuniga

Actually I think he might have a bigger short-term impact than Robins but I just think robins has much more potential to re-build us top to bottom so he's my preference

Agree with this. Ince may be a good motivator but he's tactically clueless. When the inevitable dip in form occurs, I think he would struggle to get us winning again. A 9 game losing run at Notts County hardly fills you with any confidence.

He might be a decent manager at a club with upwards momentum and a big budget, but not us. We need someone who can coach the players and improve us as a team, as well as someone who can read a game and make changes to exploit the opposition. Robins seems a much better fit based on what I've read from Rotherham and Barnsley fans.

scroobiustom

we need to support whoever gets the job i remember newcastle fans were dead against pardew but hes done a decent job there so if ince gets it give the guy a chance

We should just get Pardew and let them have Ince then...

spit

If Ince and Robins are the only ones left on the shortlist then I really fear for our future.

Sick Boy

If Ince and Robins are the only ones left on the shortlist then I really fear for our future.

Who were you expecting us to get in?

Fans demand that the club splash out on money that it doesn't have, whilst at the same time criticising Portsmouth for doing exactly that.

CovfanDan

I'd have thought that if we do get Ince, he couldn't really afford to get it wrong. His reputation would take a bit of a battering and he may struggle to get back into management for a while. Don't know if this, along with other things he would bring, motivation, contacts etc, is enough to give him the job though.

We should give our full support to whoever it is ......unless its Phil Brown.

wingy

So who ever it is will be offered terms,,i'd have expected that element to have already been broached .Another potential pitfall en route to mking this announcement, did'nt i read somewhere that ince would be offered a 3yr deal

Otis

I don't really understand everyone's hostility towards Ince on here, I think he would be a great motivator at this level and has shown that he CAN produce winning teams and mentality. But I think I'm massively in the minority here...:whistle:

Yet Notts County fans reckon he's probably the worst manager they've ever had.

Lots of reports of him wanting financial backing in the transfer markets, fall outs with players, getting it all completely wrong tactically, him never lasting at any club for any length of time, reports of him playing golf when he should be taking training and his failing in his last 3 appointments.

Yep. I don't understand the hostility either! :whistle:

VisitingPie

The times that Ince has done well, he's had Mathias as his assistant until they had a fallout. Without him, his record is less successful. This 9 game defeats under Ince is, in fairness a bit of a red herring though. We did go on a record 9 games defeat but they weren't all under Ince...the last 3 or 4 (can't remember which) were under his successors. Tactically I remember him insisting we play a high line when he first came. The problem was none of our defenders had any pace so we were continually caught out with long balls behind.

He came to us in the middle of a season as he will you if you take him, and it's ok knowing the tactics you want to play, but if you don't have the players to carry it out it's not going to be successful. I do think his next job will be his last chance though, so hopefully he's learned from his mistakes. It always makes me smile though when he says he's a 'motivator'. We saw precious little of that towards the end of his reign. In fact, quite the contrary.

Users who are viewing this thread