Boxing Day 2016 (1 Viewer)

Kilclines curly mullet

Christmas is a time for reflection so I thought I’d come on and actually put it in writing what a fantastic 7 years we have had since the debacle that was Bristol Rovers away. If you ever get annoyed at us playing for a point at Leeds or are one or our newer / returning fans who only know success, research Boxing Day 2016.

The performance that day was quite simply the worst performance in 40 years of watching the Sky Blues, assisted by the worst manager in Russel Slade.

The team that day was

Burge
Sterry
Willis
Turnbull
Page
Bigirmana
McCann
Rose
Reid
Tudgay
Sordell

We had no desire, commitment, structure, playing style, direction off the pitch and left Bristol on the wrong end of a 4-1 defeat. We were getting 8k at home games and would shortly be turfed out of the Ricoh again. Tim was in charge (on the surface) and there were pitch invasions / protests regularly

Roll on 7 years:

3 Wembley appearances
2 trophies ( 3 if you include the league 2 play off)
2 promotions
A spot kick away from the Prem
A change in ownership and more transparency than ever
A reconnection with supporters - players actually engaging with fans and giving it 100% for the badge.
A management team that is given time and trusted to deliver
Holding out for transfer fees that reflect player values as opposed to selling at any price
Spending big on players with a long term strategy of players being ours as opposed loans
A training ground that is as good as it will be (due to building restrictions)
Moaning about having international breaks (due to the league and calibre of player) - I say this in jest
Moaning about not playing on Saturdays at 3pm - I’ll add that I agree with the moaning here but it’s a victim of our success
A ground that feels like home with all of the pictures / fans zones etc
A sell out on boxing day
An average home attendance of 25k to date
Sell outs on most away games
A club shop that not only looks good but it’s on site (as opposed to the walk to the retail park) with an increasing range of decent products
An impressive recruitment strategy of brining in people from the Premier League.

Feel free to add anything that I have forgotten.

I appreciate expectations are now high and if you spend €9 million on a striker he should score more BUT when you look back, what an amazing time to be a Sky Blue.

Last edited:

NortonSkyBlue

Christmas is a time for reflection so I thought I’d come on and actually put it in writing what a fantastic 7 years we have had since the debacle that was Bristol Rovers away. If you ever get annoyed at us playing for a point at Leeds or are one or our newer / returning fans who only know success, research Boxing Day 2016.

The performance that day was quite simply the worst performance in 40 years of watching the Sky Blues, assisted by the worst manager in Russel Slade.

The team that day was

Burge
Sterry
Willis
Turnbull
Page
Bigirmana
McCann
Rose
Reid
Tudgay
Sordell

We had no desire, commitment, structure, playing style, direction off the pitch and left Bristol on the wrong end of a 4-1 defeat. We were getting 8k at home games and would shortly be turfed out of the Ricoh again. Tim was in charge (on the surface) and there were pitch invasions / protests regularly

Roll on 7 years:

3 Wembley appearances
2 promotions
A reconnection with supporters - players actually engaging with fans and giving it 100% for the badge.
Holding out for transfer fees that reflect player values as opposed to selling at any price
Spending big on players with a long term strategy of players being ours as opposed loans
Moaning about having international breaks (due to the league and calibre of player) - I say this in jest
Moaning about not playing on Saturdays at 3pm - I’ll add that I agree with the moaning here but it’s a victim of our success
A sell out on boxing day
A club shop that not only looks good but it’s on site (as opposed to the walk to the retail park) with an increasing range of decent products
An impressive recruitment strategy of brining in people from the Premier League.

I appreciate expectations are now high and if you spend €9 on a striker he should score more BUT when you look back, what an amazing time to be a Sky Blue.
Whilst shuddering at the memory of the Bristol Rovers game and agreeing that Slade was truly inept; it is harsh to attribute that defeat to him. It was his first game I believe.
The timeline since just highlights what a great management team we have had in Robins and his assistants.
Merry Christmas to you all...

Viktor17

The team that day was

Burge
Sterry
Willis
Turnbull
Page
Bigirmana
McCann
Rose
Reid
Tudgay
Sordell

Roll on 7 years:

3 Wembley appearances
2 promotions
A sell out on boxing day

I appreciate expectations are now high and if you spend €9 on a striker he should score more BUT when you look back, what an amazing time to be a Sky Blue.
This is exactly why people need to wobble their heads - spot on. Scary the state we were in v current day - enjoy this, its gold dust, children are getting hooked, adults are getting re hooked - let’s ride the wave there’s 100% loads more to come

Users who are viewing this thread