Why is everyone so Anti Paul Ince? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I don't see too much support for Paul Ince as manager.

What are the main objections?

He has had a couple of bad spells. One at Blackburn where his points per game ratio was still better than Keane managed and the last 9 defeats at Notts County.

If you take them away he averages 1.4 points per game (play off form) and also wins 4 out of every 10.

Better record than any of the managers who have managed us since the Premier days excluding possibly Black and Neilson.

CTID

Was thinking this myself mate, im less concerned about win ratio and more about the type of manager he will be. Im hoping that we select somebody who has been there and done it on the pitch to gain the players respect, and somebody who is stern but fair with the players to get some discipline. I think Ince has that about him at least so i wouldnt be complaining too much if we chose him

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Let's be honest - he's better than what we currently have, surely? He wouldn't be my favourite, but we need someone to be the catalyst for change at this club. If it's Ince - then great

Last edited:

Diehard Si

I'm warming to him, altho I think that might just be I've been ground down enough that I don't care anymore as long as we appoint someone soon.

usskyblue

Ince will do me.

The thought of Shawsy may make the players feel warm and fuzzy but not me.

And Robins? I might be getting old but I don't have a short memory. Barnsley were in complete free fall towards the end of last season.

torchomatic

"he has had a couple of bad spells" does it for me.

I don't see too much support for Paul Ince as manager.

What are the main objections?

He has had a couple of bad spells. One at Blackburn where his points per game ratio was still better than Keane managed and the last 9 defeats at Notts County.

If you take them away he averages 1.4 points per game (play off form) and also wins 4 out of every 10.

Better record than any of the managers who have managed us since the Premier days excluding possibly Black and Neilson.

lordsummerisle

Ince will do me.

The thought of Shawsy may make the players feel warm and fuzzy but not me.

And Robins? I might be getting old but I don't have a short memory. Barnsley were in complete free fall towards the end of last season.

To be fair to Robins, he wasn't at Barnsley at all last season i don't think.

junglej13

Must admit I am warming to the idea of ince. I am still of the opinion the squad is quite decent and we need a motivator and organiser. The job he did at macclesfield was superb. I think he would also have some decent contacts to get a few loan players.

torchomatic

Didn't he leave before Christmas? Out of the uninspiring two I'd rather it was Robins, though I'd obviously support Ince if he got it.

To be fair to Robins, he wasn't at Barnsley at all last season i don't think.

spit

I don't like Ince because he's an asshole and the minute a 'bigger' job comes he'll be off. Money has tried several times to get the Cov job.... He really wants it, and I think he'd do a better job than anyone on the list.

Otis

Robins left but is blamed for managing a team he wasn't even leading? Hmmmmm, let's not let facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

Don't think people are that anti-Ince, just that they don't think he is the answer and just another 'name.'

This stuff they pick up on though.

Milton Keynes Dons (2009–10)

On 3 July 2009, Ince signed again for Milton Keynes Dons on a two-year deal. During Ince's second spell the Dons were less successful, primarily due to negative tactics and many panic buys during transfer windows. However on 16 April 2010, he announced that he would leave the job a year early, at the end of the 2009–10 season.

Notts County

Ince returned to management on 28 October 2010, signing a three year deal with Notts County. On 3 April 2011 he left the club by mutual consent after losing a club record 9 games in a row, including a 2-0 defeat to relegation rivals Oldham Athletic the day before.

Moff

As mentioned in previous posts, i would be more than happy with Ince, whilst i would also be happy with Robins, but sorry Shawsy as the players would call him...no thanks.

Lets face it Ince has had bad spells, so have the others. If any of them were great, why are they not in a current management job (dont include caretaker roles)

I hope and like to think Ince can inspire our insipid, pathetic current bunch of players to greater heights as he has been there and done it, and they clearly havent.
Still thats working from my mindset of respect, and i have no idea what brain activity the current players have!

ccfcway

9 loses in a row

that is 3 times as bad as our current form..

I'm pretty sure that if Richard stays on for a while, and loses another 6 games, taking it to 9, he wouldnt step foot in the city boundaries ever again, let alone being consider for another manager position elsewhere.

Hugh Jarse

I think Spit sums it up for me. He'll use us as a stop gap in the hope something better (bigger) turns up.

He wasn't one of the most reviled men in football for nothing!

Grendel

I think Spit sums it up for me. He'll use us as a stop gap in the hope something better (bigger) turns up.

If he did is that bad?

Has any of our managers been in demand elsewhere whilst in the job?

Otis

9 in a row does point a little to a lost the plot moment, but maybe there were other circumstances to consider too.

You compare that however to the likes of Paul Tisdale whose team went 125 games without back to back defeats and it looks even more dreadful.

Grendel

The last manager we had poached while in charge here was Jesse Carver in 1955.

Don't think Dowie, Coleman or Thorn will end up in Seria A.

turlykerd

"Why is everyone so Anti Paul Ince?"

because on his famous cross-dressing weekends its what he demands to be called

kingharvest

I'd love it if he did a great job and got poached. It'd mean he's doing something right. Anyway, if the board decide on an ethos they want at the club, the manager can be a naturally evolving role. If whatever Ince is doing works and then he goes, you need to get someone in who can do the same things and have the same impact and fit with the ethos of the club.

But thats long term strategy - something we've lacked at this club for a very long time.

spit

I'd love it if he did a great job and got poached. It'd mean he's doing something right. Anyway, if the board decide on an ethos they want at the club, the manager can be a naturally evolving role. If whatever Ince is doing works and then he goes, you need to get someone in who can do the same things and have the same impact and fit with the ethos of the club.

But thats long term strategy - something we've lacked at this club for a very long time.

But what will really happen is that we'll be left in the lurch and we'll start falling away again. We've all been crying out for stability for years - that means getting someone who not only has a decent record but also someone who really wants to be here and is in for the long term. Money is the only one on that list who fits the bill.

sidskyblue1967

If Ince gets the job I wouldn`t be too sure he would have a great rapport with Sir Alex regarding possible Loans .

I recall Fergie referring to Ince as " a big time Charlie "

PUSB

SID

VisitingPie

Hi, Notts fan here. I'd love to tell you that Ince was just a bad fit for our club, but even if you ignore the defeats at the end of his reign it's not the whole picture. Our entire squad appeared fragmented and there was much talk of dressing room unrest. As an example, he used to call everyone in to training at 9am, only to send a message telling them to come back at 3pm as he wouldn't be in till later. He lived a fair drive away and used to be very fond of the golf course.

He rarely gave the post match interviews, particularly if we'd played badly..he left that to his assistant. We were told all this by MKdons fans, but obviously as fans, you don't want to believe it. There was also a lot of talk of the proverbial tea cups being thrown..once literally over one of our opponents coaches, for which he was sent to the stands.

Most of our fans have no doubt that we would have been playing league 2 football that season, had we not got rid.

When he left, he, as usual, blamed the budget, which he always does, even though he said he could build a competitive team on it when he took the job. It is true however, that he lost Ben Davies in the January along with the loanees (his son Tom and Miller who is now at Carlisle). He had funds to replace them, but chose not to bring anyone else in stating that prices were inflated in January.

We did have a purple patch under him before Jan though, during the time that we played and drew to Man City....but I'm afraid in the eyes of most Notts fans he comes under one of the worst managers we've had.....and we've had a few!

usskyblue

Hi, Notts fan here. I'd love to tell you that Ince was just a bad fit for our club, but even if you ignore the defeats at the end of his reign it's not the whole picture. Our entire squad appeared fragmented and there was much talk of dressing room unrest. As an example, he used to call everyone in to training at 9am, only to send a message telling them to come back at 3pm as he wouldn't be in till later. He lived a fair drive away and used to be very fond of the golf course.

He rarely gave the post match interviews, particularly if we'd played badly..he left that to his assistant. We were told all this by MKdons fans, but obviously as fans, you don't want to believe it. There was also a lot of talk of the proverbial tea cups being thrown..once literally over one of our opponents coaches, for which he was sent to the stands.

Most of our fans have no doubt that we would have been playing league 2 football that season, had we not got rid.

When he left, he, as usual, blamed the budget, which he always does, even though he said he could build a competitive team on it when he took the job. It is true however, that he lost Ben Davies in the January along with the loanees (his son Tom and Miller who is now at Carlisle). He had funds to replace them, but chose not to bring anyone else in stating that prices were inflated in January.

We did have a purple patch under him before Jan though, during the time that we played and drew to Man City....but I'm afraid in the eyes of most Notts fans he comes under one of the worst managers we've had.....and we've had a few!

Sounds perfect then.

Users who are viewing this thread