Why is Coventry so crap? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter JuanDan petrolman
  • Start date

Samo

No, never been. That's why I said it has a Camden feel about it!!! ;)

Course I have been! Stayed for a week once and I would guess I have been about 6 or 7 times in total.

I know Camden has a proper market and Fargo is nothing like that at all, but just in terms of feel and buzz and artiness.

Oooh sarcy!
Nobody is a bigger fan of all things Cov than I am. But if you think Fargo is anything close to the character of Camden Town you are deluded.

Otis

Oooh sarcy!
Nobody is a bigger fan of all things Cov than I am. But if you think Fargo is anything close to the character of Camden Town you are deluded.
Been compared by a number of people.

Maybe we should start a deluded club. :)

robbiekeane

Cov is generally crap and I'm the first to say that. However there's been a slight improvement in the last 5 years...the higher end chain restaurants at cathedral lanes, also around the belgrade. One or two bars opened up on Spon Street.

Still shit though. What it really needs is a Westfields/intu shopping centre like Derby, Leicester, Nottingham (the latter isn't a great example but they've just bought it and it's improving quick). Not sure where they'd fit it in the city centre but West orchards is an embrassment.

Also that area where the post office used to be, now full of pound shops and gold pawn shops last time I was back, needs flattening and redoing it's disgusting. Can't see the floor for pigeon shit and doleys seem to congregate there.

So, slight improvement in the last few years but still a huge shit hole centre. Actual residential areas are alright though. Stivichall, finham, earlsdon, parts of cheylesmore, Eastern green, all very nice.

On fargo, obviously it's nothing like Camden but definitely has that vibe to it

Terry Gibson's perm

Coventry looks like it needs a good wash down by pool meadow where the bbc is looks disgusting. I hadn't been to Fargo until a few weeks ago but it does seem OK if that's what your into.

The council should be spending money on the town centre and not on huge buildings for itself every time I drive past the Lucas building by the station I shake my head, the only way I could have ever apreciated it was if she was buried in the footings.

mrtrench

Cov was badly let down by town planners after the war. The people of Coventry suffered more than most through supporting the war effort with engineering and were rewarded with soulless concrete cuboids. However, growing up in Cov during the 70s I knew no better. It was my city, it was buzzing and had an active music and arts scene. I really did notice the difference after they closed the car factories - everything seemed so much flatter - and then I left in 1981.

I've seldom been back into the city centre since but I did go around 10 years ago. I was shocked by how many shops were closed and how many pound shops were there. It did seem to have reached a nadir.

Since then my sister tells me it's improving - I hope so - the people of Coventry deserve so much more.

Nick

Administrator
I went down lockhurst lane this morning, that was an eye opener.. I won't comment as I'd probably get abuse, but Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

The city is a poor to average provincial city with an incompetent council that has a complete and utter disregard for the city and its residents. As others have said, it is getting left behind by the likes of Leicester and Nottingham, and now that Lucas has ensured that it will become a suburb of Birmingham, it is only going to get worse.

Macca

I'm sure in read somewhere it was considered one of the most dangerous cities in Europe in the 80's?
Not sure about Europe but certainly the UK. They reckoned it had the most violent offences per head of population. As young cov kids we were strangely proud of it. Much improved in that respect compared to in no particular order

Brum
Most the north west
Nottingham
South Wales
Teeside
Hull
Portsmouth/ Southamptom
Glasgow
To be fair its soft as shite these days and better for it

digsy2

It is improving but still very shit. I've been trying to get council interested in using spare land (their crappy car parks etc) in town centre to put some up-market residential stuff in , idea being to encourage creative people to live there as this is one of biggest problems we have that makes it feel dead. Like hitting my head against concrete wall tho tbh as council just have this attitude that everything is fine and student stuff everywhere is turning things around. If anyone interested ideas are here >> http://www.awd-restorations.com/coventry-city-centre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

It is improving but still very shit. I've been trying to get council interested in using spare land (their crappy car parks etc) in town centre to put some up-market residential stuff in , idea being to encourage creative people to live there as this is one of biggest problems we have that makes it feel dead. Like hitting my head against concrete wall tho tbh as council just have this attitude that everything is fine and student stuff everywhere is turning things around. If anyone interested ideas are here >> http://www.awd-restorations.com/coventry-city-centre

Good work, digsy. Am with you all the way on this.

Will interestingly follow what transpires. I am full of ideas and have suggested stuff to the council before and got the CT onboard.

Good luck! Some areas certainly needs sprucing up for sure.

mrtrench

They should bite your hand off. Once private companies see an opportunity to invest and improve the city it will start a virtuous circle. Let's hope they don't block you.

clint van damme

Good idea mate. I'm sure you'll end up getting tired of banging your head against a brick wall and take your idea somewhere else where it will be well received and we'll miss out again due to the myopic clowns at the council.

Gazolba

Whatever happened to the plan to uncover the River Sherbourne and turn it into a Coventry Riviera?

digsy2

Whatever happened to the plan to uncover the River Sherbourne and turn it into a Coventry Riviera?

It's still an aspiration, (which means council planners would like to see it happen, but cash would have to come from developers) - the best place to uncover generally recognised to be fairfax st as it runs directly underneath almost entire length - so would need to be planning condition of student stuff that's going into car park there opp baths. Bet it won't be tho, as council only care was re getting highest bid for the land.

Pipehitterz

its i devellopment i think
the 1st phase is being done, opposite the car museum some apartments are going up, the riviera bit will be strickly for the piss heads heading via shortcut to the burgess

Otis

its i devellopment i think
the 1st phase is being done, opposite the car museum some apartments are going up, the riviera bit will be strickly for the piss heads heading via shortcut to the burgess
Not so sure. Would agree, but they are putting up café's alongside that stretch, so it might be a bit too intimidating and high brow for that lot. ;)

Otis

Volgograd? Yes I have actually.
Then you will know the truth, or should do anyway.

Pretty much reduces me to tears when I am there. The earth is salty, so houses are sinking into the ground, with residents still residing in them. It is unbelievable to understand people still live in these places.

The buildings are all crumbling, the roads are full of massive pot holes and the streets are awash with stray dogs and cats. People just abandon them when they can no longer afford to keep them.

My wife thought I was mad, but last time I was there I went out and bought a shed load of dog and cat food and would go and feed them all. Just felt so sorry for them all as they fought over scraps.

The street lighting all but doesn't work at all and there are loads of people just sitting drunk or begging on the streets. 100 times worse that anything here and that is no over estimation. There is all but no greenery, again because of the salty earth.

And yet you compare Coventry to 'Stalingrad?' It is truly laughable and rather embarrassing. Grendel with his sweeping statements again unfortunately.

Large parts of Volgograd are like the third world and I am in a much better position to judge, as my wife is actually from Volgograd and all her family are still there and I have been over a number of times for two weeks at a a time.

My wife calls it a holiday, but I come back believing I need a holiday after.

Speak to my wife and suggest Coventry is like Volgograd and see what response you get.
;)

mrtrench

Not sure whether that was sarcastic :)

It wasn't; I live & work near Southampton and have never seen anything remotely unpleasant. But then I don't go there at night and I am rather naive about such things. Does it really have a bad reputation?

chiefdave

It wasn't; I live & work near Southampton and have never seen anything remotely unpleasant. But then I don't go there at night and I am rather naive about such things. Does it really have a bad reputation?
Southampton starting around on the east side of the city centre and moving out towards the football ground is not very pleasant in the evening. Its still a million times better than Portsmouth. They set up one of those emergency services major incident tents every weekend in the city centre there to cope with the amount of trouble.

Nick

Administrator
Been this morning, lovely and quiet round by the cathedral, some tourists.

Walked down by cathedral lanes / greggs where there are groups of eastern Europeans, staring at every woman that walks past and gesturing.

Get back to the car park and there are a team of beggars working the machines.

Herbert was great though.

It's weird how contrasting parts are so close together.

Stay one side of the cathedral and it's fine.

Otis

Been this morning, lovely and quiet round by the cathedral, some tourists.

Walked down by cathedral lanes / greggs where there are groups of eastern Europeans, staring at every woman that walks past and gesturing.

Get back to the car park and there are a team of beggars working the machines.

Herbert was great though.

It's weird how contrasting parts are so close together.

Stay one side of the cathedral and it's fine.
We went to Fargo today. It was very nice, but unusually quiet.

Supposed to be a barbecue and deckchairs and a bouncy castle, but when we got there, there was just the bouncy castle.

Stayed there 5 and a half hours though. We're going to do the brewery, but left it too late and it was closed by the time we decided to give it a go.

Nick

Administrator
We went to Fargo today. It was very nice, but unusually quiet.

Supposed to be a barbecue and deckchairs and a bouncy castle, but when we got there, there was just the bouncy castle.

Stayed there 5 and glad hours though. We're going to do the brewery, but left it too late and it was closed by the time we decided to give it a go.
What did you do for five hours????

Otis

What did you do for five hours????
An hour and a half in Urban Coffee eating. Then my niece's son wanted to go on the bouncy castle, so we sat outside and had a coffee and watched him play and then we went round the shops for an hour or so and then we got ice cream from Spangles and just sat chatting for a while.

There were 10 of us.

Users who are viewing this thread