Why is Coventry so crap? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter JuanDan petrolman
  • Start date

Samo

No defense, you're still a space cadet! :D

Well possibly. :artist:

Reactions: vow

skybluedan

Yes it is. I've been 3 times walking round there recently and there has been an incident you'd never associate with the Village.

It's the hotel. It's occupants are "interesting"

I was a Gardner for a company in ripon close on Browns lane back in the day (about 22 years actually) and we used to do the gardens at the hotel was called the Coventry hill hotel then and the car hire and it was a scum pit then with the dodgiest of brummies running the car hir Europa

Nick

Administrator
Yes it is. I've been 3 times walking round there recently and there has been an incident you'd never associate with the Village.

It's the hotel. It's occupants are "interesting"
The big one or the smaller one?

It's cheap as chips isn't it? Temporary housing?

Otis

So he means the Coventry Hill hotel, not the Allesley?

The Allesley was fine last time I was there which was at Christmas. My brother and his wife stayed there and the other guests all seemed quite well to do.

Never been to the Coventry Hill hotel.

Allesley Village always seemed to be nice.

Samo

This 8 year old thread seems to be chugging along nicely. Life is all about timing! :)

Samo

The reputation is irrelevant.

It has John Lewis.

Coventry has Primark. I would urge you to go one Sunday and then go the coventry the next Sunday and tell me what the difference is.

Your gold standard for a great city centre is that it has John Lewis? What a colossal prick you are.

Grendel

Ah, not the cov hill one I was thinking of.

Thats bad!

It's become a hostel effectively and has been like it for a while now.

Grendel

Macca

Coventry is just another example of the general level of decline of urban areas in the UK. Having said that far safer than most cities compared to the battleground of the 1980 s

Sick Boy

Coventry is just another example of the general level of decline of urban areas in the UK. Having said that far safer than most cities compared to the battleground of the 1980 s

I'm sure in read somewhere it was considered one of the most dangerous cities in Europe in the 80's?

Grendel

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Here is the link.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/asylum-seekers-not-being-put-11048805

The hotel looks in complete decay. As the reviews say residents are all aware of it but can do nothing. It's been a no go area for a while now.

It says something about 'there is no link in crime rate' and 'we are not housing asylum seekers there.'

Would you say those two statements are bullshit? Genuine question, as I don't live round there so don't know what's going on.

Gazolba

Isn't everywhere getting crappier? People are getting crappier so the places they live get crappier. Families and schools are producing crappier kids who grow up into crappy adults, some of whom become crappy councillors and planners which results in crappy cities. To compound it all, we import crappy immigrants. I don't know the answer, but there is no quick fix. I suspect we need to re-examine the most basic tenets of our society.

Samo

Isn't everywhere getting crappier? People are getting crappier so the places they live get crappier. Families and schools are producing crappier kids who grow up into crappy adults, some of whom become crappy councillors and planners which results in crappy cities. To compound it all, we import crappy immigrants. I don't know the answer, but there is no quick fix. I suspect we need to re-examine the most basic tenets of our society.

What a load of crap! ;)

Otis

Anyone going to the Sky Ride tomorrow?

Is it worth it?

Not really into cycling, but it could be a bit of a spectacle perhaps.

Don't know whether to pop down or not.

Covstu is a keen cyclist isn't he?

Nick

Administrator

Is it worth it?

Is that in town??
Was going to go to the herbert to see some lego as well :(

skybluedan

Is it worth it?

What's the sky ride Otis mate

Otis

Ring road opened up for bikes only.

Think you pay and then you can cycle around all the places you normally can't go. Think they encourage families to go up.

Otis

You pay I think, but then get goodies and a free Halfords bike check (worth £14.99 apparently).

Not trying to sell, cos I have never been. Just picking stuff up from the bumf.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Samo

Ring road opened up for bikes only.

Think you pay and then you can cycle around all the places you normally can't go. Think they encourage families to go up.

Does this mean I can't get the bus into town tomorrow?

Captain Dart

Otis

Goes against the whole vibe of the place. Very much a community spirit place.

Personally I think it would be crazy in the city centre and especially inside a shop.

I do agree Far Gosford St isn't the most ideal, but it needed to be on the periphery and not in the centre.

It very much has a Camden feel about it. City centre would go entirely against what they are trying to create I reckon.

Samo

Goes against the whole vibe of the place. Very much a community spirit place.

Personally I think it would be crazy in the city centre and especially inside a shop.

I do agree Far Gosford St isn't the most ideal, but it needed to be on the periphery and not in the centre.

It very much has a Camden feel about it. City centre would go entirely against what they are trying to create I reckon.

It's supposed to have a Camden feel about it, I'm not at all convinced it does.

Otis

It's supposed to have a Camden feel about it, I'm not at all convinced it does.
It does for me.

We were there three times last week. It's ever evolving and there's always stuff on.

The furniture place is finally going, so all that there will be part of Fargo too.

I love the vibe of the place.

Samo

It does for me.

We were there three times last week. It's ever evolving and there's always stuff on.

The furniture place is finally going, so all that there will be part of Fargo too.

I love the vibe of the place.

Have you been to Camden Otis?

Otis

Have you been to Camden Otis?
No, never been. That's why I said it has a Camden feel about it!!! ;)

Course I have been! Stayed for a week once and I would guess I have been about 6 or 7 times in total.

I know Camden has a proper market and Fargo is nothing like that at all, but just in terms of feel and buzz and artiness.

clint van damme

No, never been. That's why I said it has a Camden feel about it!!! ;)

Course I have been! Stayed for a week once and I would guess I have been about 6 or 7 times in total.

I know Camden has a proper market and Fargo is nothing like that at all, but just in terms of feel and buzz and artiness.
I agree, it also takes time, Camden Market didn't spring up overnight, it grew organically.

Users who are viewing this thread