Why Coventry? (1 Viewer)

Mr T - Sukka!

You do not choose to follow a football club.

The club chooses you. CCFC it is and CCFC it always will be!

If people from Coventry follow Man United or Liverpool or any other glory hunting teams they are just retarded mongs!

Astute

My youngest lad doesn't know yet but he will support Cov. He has the initials CCFC so have been working on it since he was born. He was 3 last week so it is nearly time to take him to a game. I would have taken him by now but I like a beer or several before a game and then the same afterwards to celebrate/drown my sorrows.

Otis

You do not choose to follow a football club.

The club chooses you. CCFC it is and CCFC it always will be!

If people from Coventry follow Man United or Liverpool or any other glory hunting teams they are just retarded mongs!

They tried to choose me and came up to knock at my door.

Luckily though I have a sign up in the window that says; No Sales, No Canvassing, No Cold Calls, No Bullshit, so they went to the neighbours instead.

BigadamL

Born in cov, lived all over the world and had the same reaction from everyone...... Coventry?!?!?!

But at least I can look at them in the eye and feel happy with myself

TheHellion

When I was a kid, my dad worked the gates at Highfield Road. He'd always have a ticket for me when I wanted to go. I had no idea who I was supporting, or who we were playing. I had no idea we were a top flight club and had been for about 25 years at that point but I remember really being hooked. I guess I didn't have a choice as such, I was led down the right path by a guiding hand. I enjoyed it, and it seemed like a family thing, so it stuck. It just felt right.

If I was a young kid growing up going to the games these days, it probably wouldn't have the same effect or meaning on me as it did back then.

LastGarrison

NZ do better pies, better fish n chips (try some smoked marlin). The best dairy products. If you're into wines, you'll get a good reisling around matakana. Get some Maori grub into ya too. Despite being built like brick houses, Maoris are the friendliest people you'll meet. You'll love it over there. Its England with less people.

Met a big lump of a Maori in Sihanoukville in Cambodia and he was a top lad! Me and him remained undefeated on the pool table for about 3 hours and he constantly ripped any Aussie who came near us.

Thought he could have a drink but in that one the English prevailed. ;)

BurbageSkyBlues

Born and bred in cov, until nearly 18.....then lived in Plymouth, London, Ipswich Cambridge brum and festershire, but always stayed loyal to my home in the 36 years since.......what else, it's in the blood, even if the family had always been big rugby fans,

Don't understand the plastic glory fans, born in one place but support another city or town.....!? Bizarre.

Pusb

woody11462

Born in Coventry in 79 but moved to merseyside in 87. First game was a 3-0 win against Oxford. We lived in Earsldon but my grandad lived around the corner from the ground. My dad, who went every home game had already got me hooked when we moved and stuck with them through all the piss taking from my new Liverpool and Everton supporting mates. We even carried on going to Highfield Road for the next season but the drive became too much. Having just won the FA cup helped. Now living in Manchester and still getting confused looks when I tell people who I support!

covlad1986

I was born in Coventry so I support my local team and i can remember the first time I when to my first game which was Coventry v Torquay and we won 4-1 and then i started going more often and since we move to the Ricoh i have been a ST holder

Snouty72

It's a curse. lol

Grew up in the sticks but my dad started watching cov in the Jimmy hill era (warwick boy).

Supported Liverpool as a kid but he took me to 87 1/4 final against sheff wed and was hooked.

My first match was wolves in 81. Uncle brought a rattle and a box for me to stand on and we fought our way out of east end with wolves fans. Then went to liverpool in 82' same year grobbaaller had signed, and sat 3 foot from my then hero daglish as he took a corner. Star struck.

Now am city till I die...

Me too....

I'm another who was born in Cov & have followed them from mainly afar since. I was a kid in the promotion days of the sixties before we moved to Australia. Always lived near the ocean since then. When I was a kid we had to telephone a sports line to get the weekends results but now we get all the EPL. Lived in Earlsdon but my Grandad lived in Bell Green & he'd take to schoolboy international at HR. A tragic Cov fan, that's me.

Astute

Hahahaha love it. What does it stand for?
Cyrus Christie Freddie Coleman ?

Connor Ciaran Francis and surname begins with a C :D

Tried name for club with one of middle kids. Got wife to agree to Skye. Took ages before she got to like the name. When she agreed I said her middle name had to be Blue. She told me to f*ck right off and called her Hannah :(

pipkin73

Was midseason of season 86/7. I never even bothered about football. For school i needed a kit (never mattered what i had).
My Mum took me shopping to get something ready for school. We went to JJB's (well i think it was, but as it was 86 i could be wrong (so many years)). Anyway the Cov TRACKSUIT was on offer for about 10 pounds so my mum asked me if i wanted it. UPTO this point i done Judo and never thought about footy. The weird thing was that as soon as i got the CCFC tracksuit, i saw the CCFC badge and that was THEN MY CLUB FOREVER. Before that i was not really bothered about football. So CCFC LOVE = 26 years of CCFC as my Mum brought me the tracksuit for school.
I have a question was my Mum nice or Kind?

Tad

Got some tickets from the school. I think they use city as punishment. ;)

Last edited:

Astute

I won my first tickets at scool whilst living in Funeaton. My uncle took me. We were about the only Cov fans in the whole home end against Liverpool. I thought there was something wrong when the game started. I couldn't hear the commentator......

covkid69

i used to live not far from highfield road and used to watch city fan's cars park in my road decked out with scarves and rosettes....used to offer to look after them while they was at the match...made a few bob too :D
first game i went to i was about 5 but can't for the life of me remember who we played or what the score was.
when i was a little older i used to meet my dad off the bus in clay lane on a saturday dinnertime and pester the tits off him till he gave me the money to go to the match.
had 2 brothers who supported stoke and leeds but for me it was the mighty sky blues.
we might not have won much but i was proud to support my home town club and not be a glory supporter.
we had some fantastic players in my early days including tommy hutch,colin stein and of course wallace and fergie....bill glazier in goal....ah those were the days
being a sky blue means nothing to most people but to me it means having pride and passion and despite everything that we've been through...the relegations and crap owners....the lack of success...i'll always be a true sky blue no matter what.

once a sky blue always a sky blue :D:D:D

wingy

i used to live not far from highfield road and used to watch city fan's cars park in my road decked out with scarves and rosettes....used to offer to look after them while they was at the match...made a few bob too :D
first game i went to i was about 5 but can't for the life of me remember who we played or what the score was.
when i was a little older i used to meet my dad off the bus in clay lane on a saturday dinnertime and pester the tits off him till he gave me the money to go to the match.
had 2 brothers who supported stoke and leeds but for me it was the mighty sky blues.
we might not have won much but i was proud to support my home town club and not be a glory supporter.
we had some fantastic players in my early days including tommy hutch,colin stein and of course wallace and fergie....bill glazier in goal....ah those were the days
being a sky blue means nothing to most people but to me it means having pride and passion and despite everything that we've been through...the relegations and crap owners....the lack of success...i'll always be a true sky blue no matter what.

once a sky blue always a sky blue :D:D:D

HAHA five years old and taking money with Menaces.;):eek:

Coventry born and bred
My paternal grandfather was a supporter from the 1930s, my father has been a supporter from 1947 (on his return from India) my mother since 1950, my aunt was Jimmy Hill’s secretary and my paternal grandmother used to provide lodging for young players (best know would be Graham Paddon)
The family used to own the shop on the corner of Highfield Road and I can remember watching the games from the upstairs bedroom. Unfortunately there was a stand blocking the view so I could only see a third of the pitch – so working out what the score was and who was wining was a tad difficult.
My first recollection of a game is watching Frank Austin take a throw in and he finished with us 1963!
Moved south 24 years ago but the Sky Blues are still a passion (or is it a curse) - which my eldest son has also inherited.
I can remember the days when I would travel in expectation rather than hope, but for longer than I care to remember it has mostly been the other way around. One day we shall get back to where we used to be - and for the manic depressives on this site that is not the 4th Division!
Being a Sky Blues supporter is certainly character building.

SkyBlueCharlie

Born here, lived here all my life so follow my team. First match was FA Cup 5th Round, March 1963 when we beat Sunderland 2-1 (funny they never mention that when they're whingeing on about all the other stuff). Then followed 5 (?) days later losing to Man U 3-1. I've been hooked ever since despite all of the off-pitch issues.

kg82

Met a big lump of a Maori in Sihanoukville in Cambodia and he was a top lad! Me and him remained undefeated on the pool table for about 3 hours and he constantly ripped any Aussie who came near us.

Thought he could have a drink but in that one the English prevailed. ;)

Hah! I have a story from Sihanoukville too! Walking down the main street away from the beach front I walked past a big lad with a Cardiff shirt on. I had my City shirt on - it was the beginning of last season so it had last seasons badge on. He stopped me and asked who's shirt it was to which I replied "The real CCFC"!

Going back out that way next year for longer this time!

Tonylinc

Connor Ciaran Francis and surname begins with a C :D

Tried name for club with one of middle kids. Got wife to agree to Skye. Took ages before she got to like the name. When she agreed I said her middle name had to be Blue. She told me to f*ck right off and called her Hannah :(
My sons name is David Lloyd Keith.......wonder where that came from???/

LastGarrison

Hah! I have a story from Sihanoukville too! Walking down the main street away from the beach front I walked past a big lad with a Cardiff shirt on. I had my City shirt on - it was the beginning of last season so it had last seasons badge on. He stopped me and asked who's shirt it was to which I replied "The real CCFC"!

Going back out that way next year for longer this time!

Great place stayed on both sides as well although the Victory Hill side is more the old boys chasing the hookers. Still a good crack though.

Reckon my next extended jaunt has going to have to be South America......

Users who are viewing this thread