Why Coventry? (1 Viewer)

Moff

Bred, but not born, in Coventry, and support my home team. No one else ever mattered nor ever will. My town, my team.

Family are geordies but when they moved to Coventry they left Newcastle behind, and took on their new home town team. Still that was just prior to the Hill revolution so they chose a good time to do it.

My kids are both fans, but would love the club to have some success so that they can love a winning team for once.

KersleyDigs

My granny provided digs for the youth players in the 70's. My mum grew up with a few city legends. My gran used to hate Sillet as he used to pick up the youngsters and take them out gambling every week. She said he was a bad influence!

covcity4life

i was born in cov thus i support them

although my uncle did try to lure me to spurs,but my best mate pulled me to cov lol

Baginton

Luton fan relocated here with my work, travelled up and down for 2 seasons but the urge quickly wore off... the M1, bloody roadworks and my folks eloping (no more free dinners) and that bloody Blue Square:(
Decided to get a ST after moving walking distance away and £299 is bloomin cheap! I do wonder if I made the right decision :whistle: but generally happy, Robbins appears to be a great manager, thinks about what he is saying and comes out with sensible stuff.
Looking forward to the Wembley final and a play off chase :D

LastGarrison

Luton fan relocated here with my work, travelled up and down for 2 seasons but the urge quickly wore off... the M1, bloody roadworks and my folks eloping (no more free dinners) and that bloody Blue Square:(
Decided to get a ST after moving walking distance away and £299 is bloomin cheap! I do wonder if I made the right decision :whistle: but generally happy, Robbins appears to be a great manager, thinks about what he is saying and comes out with sensible stuff.
Looking forward to the Wembley final and a play off chase :D
Weird, you're now the 3rd Luton fan I know who has a soft spot for Cov.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
I've lived in Coventry my whole life but none of my family ever liked football.

I actually supported Liverpool when I first discovered football at roughly 8 years old, but that's because they were the only team I'd heard of.

Then my dad got a free ticket from one of his mates and took me to the game against Luton. Safe to say he hated it, but I loved it. Been hooked since.

Brighton Sky Blue

City watching goes back at least to the 30s in my family (on the dad's side), and having been born and raised (mainly) there it's the only team I'd consider. Geography a slight issue at the mo ;)

kg82

Born in Leamington, my family are all from Whitmore Park, although my uncle lives right by the ground now! First game was at the city ground around 87 I think - I was only 5, so don't remember much! It was 0-0! First game at highfield rd was actually against Luton! 91 or 92? We won 5-0! My granddad used to take me up at first, until my dad started coming again but I'm afraid to say we used to get in for free too! My uncle was a special and used to do the games! He stopped doing it around the time the north stand was getting redone (about 94-95 I think)?

Disorganised1

Just unlucky I guess.

Mucca Mad Boys

I don't know how or why I support CCFC? No immediate family encouraged me to support CCFC, mum doesn't give a shit about football, they weren't the first team I heard of (that honour goes to Leeds). I think it was because I was from Coventry to be honest. I decided before I went to my first match which was I think CCFC v Ajax (in a pre season friendly, still not 100% sure!) when I was about 4/5. Since I have been loyal ad have never thought of supporting anyone else.

Nick

Administrator
My dad followed them and took me as a kid, as his dad did for him. Plus being from Coventry it is a simple choice really!

ccfc92

Born in cov, and supported them since. Left cov when I was 8, so missed a lot of the 00's years. Being so far from cov made me want to be there more than if I lived in cov I think. But back up in cov as much as I can now to see the sky blues :)

malkitccfc

Leeds fan as a kid as my dad made me one! Still used to go to about 5-6 City games a season as a kid, first game was a 2-1 victory over Wimbledon sometime around the end of the 90s I think. Used to take the piss out of all the cov supporters at school I remember, then one day just decided to go along and never looked back.

Otis

Oh and answer is, was born here. Therefore my club, even though my dad had been going up since 1939
My city my club.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

WillieStanley

Funny thatI was a Leeds fan in my younger days. My uncle used to take me to HR, my first match was in 1991 against Leeds. When I went to secondary school, my occasional visit turned into a season ticket and that was me, Sky Blue through and through. It was literally one of the best decisions I've ever made. I don't think I would have been half as passionate about Leeds or, indeed football at all. All of this talk about owners and finance and people being bitter about the club not being what it was... They seem to miss the point. The reason I continue to spend my money on CCFC is not because I agree with these owners, Mark Robins or anyone else, it's because it's what I've been doing with my family for years, and it's a tradition, a passion that I feel honoured to have been gifted with.

We are Coventry City. We lose all the time, outsiders aren't sure whether we're a sleeping giant or if we've been punching above our weight, if they even care at all. Some of our fans aren't sure whether we're a sleeping giant or if we've been punching above our weight, if they still care at all!! We haven't had a top 6 finish in forever. We rarely get written about in the papers or talked about on TV. Referees hate us, our rivals aren't as fierce as the old firm.

But...

We've got the memories and legacy of Jimmy Hill, 1987, the colour Sky Blue, PUSB, Robbie Keane, Darren Huckerby, Gary McAllister, Chippo, Hadji, Hutchinson, Gould... we've even got Paul flippin' Telfer and Paul Williams. We've got David McGoldrick, Kieran Westood... We've got unexpected victories, we've got Sutton Utd, Coventry Talbot, 6-1 down and we're still singing, Twist and Shout, LAST, GMK, Sky Blues Talk, chocolate brown football shirts, stripes or plain, a sort of famous fella from a soap, Mo Konjic, Jarni, Hartson, we've jot a great JSB section in the ground, an awesome badge, 4-1 at the Villa, that last half an hour where we're 2-0 up but still have the feeling we're going to lose, Dion Dublin and his Dube, the commentator on FIFA 13 saying "Fantastic save from Joe Murphy... and the most important thing... we have a hardcore fan base who write on here, contribute to Cov City Mad, organise boycott/protest hybrids, work for the club, wear the badge, bore their friends and flood facebook on a Saturday and talk about Cody McDonald as if he were Torres.

We are special, unique and have a history to be proud of. Our club, regardless of spin and league, unites families and the community and makes me proud. I support Coventry City, The Sky Blues... a proper football club with a proper history, and because of that, I have to have faith in a proper future for the club.

Last edited:

kg82

Funny thatI was a Leeds fan in my younger days. My uncle used to take me to HR, my first match was in 1991 against Leeds. When I went to secondary school, my occasional visit turned into a season ticket and that was me, Sky Blue through and through. It was literally one of the best decisions I've ever made. I don't think I would have been half as passionate about Leeds or, indeed football at all. All of this talk about owners and finance and people being bitter about the club not being what it was... They seem to miss the point. The reason I continue to spend my money on CCFC is not because I agree with these owners, Mark Robins or anyone else, it's because it's what I've been doing with my family for years, and it's a tradition, a passion that I feel honoured to have been gifted with.

We are Coventry City. We lose all the time, outsiders aren't sure whether we're a sleeping giant or if we've been punching above out weight, if they even care at all. Some of our fans aren't sure whether we're a sleeping giant or if we've been punching above out weight, if they still care at all!! We haven't had a top 6 finish in forever. We rarely get written about in the papers or talked about on TV. Referees hate us, our rivals aren't as fierce as the old firm.

But...

We've got the memories and legacy of Jimmy Hill, 1987, the colour Sky Blue, PUSB, Robbie Keane, Darren Huckerby, Gary McAllister, Chippo, Hadji, Hutchinson, Gould... we've even got Paul flippin' Telfer and Paul Williams. We've got David McGoldrick, Kieran Westood... We've got unexpected victories, we've got Sutton Utd, Coventry Talbot, 6-1 down and we're still singing, Twist and Shout, LAST, GMK, Sky Blues Talk, chocolate brown football shirts, stripes or plain, a sort of famous fella from a soap, Mo Konjic, Jarni, Hartson, we've jot a great JSB section in the ground, an awesome badge, 4-1 at the Villa, that last half an hour where we're 2-0 up but still have the feeling we're going to lose, Dion Dublin and his Dube, the commentator on FIFA 13 saying "Fantastic save from Joe Murphy... and the most important thing... we have a hardcore fan base who write on here, contribute to Cov City Mad, organise boycott/protest hybrids, work for the club, wear the badge, bore their friends and flood facebook on a Saturday and talk about Cody McDonald as if he were Torres.

We are special, unique and have a history to be proud of. Our club, regardless of spin and league, unites families and the community and makes me proud. I support Coventry City, The Sky Blues... a proper football club with a proper history, and becouse of that, I have to have faith in a proper future for the club.

On my phone so I can't "like" but... Like, like, like!! Quality post.

Hugh Jarse

Born and bred in Coventry, my uncle used to play for CCFC many years ago. Unlike many of my school friends who became 'glory' supporters I stuck by my home team. First match, as far as I can remember, was in 1967. Unable to remember who we were playing but I stood with a couple of mates in the West End and went for a soup and a pie at half time. Moved away from Cov in 1983 and was lucky enough to get a pair of freebies for the '87 Cup Final, what a day that was, travelling home on the tube with a whole bunch of Spurs fans, trying to hide my sky blue scarf. As it turned out, they were a great bunch and we had some banter all the way back into London. Haven't been to a game for a while and hope to rectify that before the end of the season. Once it's in your blood, it's hard to shake off!!:)

D

Deleted member 4232

@ that guy. Where in kiwi land you from? Going in Jan to get married to one of your lot.
Also why do they drink so much?

Hey bud, grew up in at place called Whangarei. Hah, you'll drink / eat more over there, food and drink is too good!

cyril

Hey bud, grew up in at place called Whangarei. Hah, you'll drink / eat more over there, food and drink is too good!
There's some fucked up place names there. I'm going to matakana / warkworth north of aukland. Any recommendations?

ohitsaidwalker king power

Repeating myself.. sorry I've mentioned this before... dont hate me!!

My Father was always Sky Blue.. like his father before him... but one of his good friends was a Villan... and so in my formative years age 7,8 when Dad didn't have a season ticket for CCFC.. we'd go about 6 games to Highfield Road, me Dad and his mate.. and 6 games to Villa park each year.. on my 12th Birthday Dad said we'd get a season ticket.. I could choose.. Villa or CCFC... knowing he was a true Sky blue I picked the City.. 35 years on, a season ticket every year since.. I'm still a Sky Blue.. always will be... and now my son to.
In the latter years of his life, before his passing dad always used to jibe me.. particularly when the song "My old man said be a Villa fan" was sung.. he'd finish off the song with the choice words making him smile even more....looking at me, as fathers do... he said that if I'd made a wiser choice, we'd not have suffered so all those years(except for 87?)... but there was glint in his eye when he said it.. he knew, I know..my son now knows... forever Sky Blue...:claping hands:

:blue:

D

Deleted member 4232

There's some fucked up place names there. I'm going to matakana / warkworth north of aukland. Any recommendations?

NZ do better pies, better fish n chips (try some smoked marlin). The best dairy products. If you're into wines, you'll get a good reisling around matakana. Get some Maori grub into ya too. Despite being built like brick houses, Maoris are the friendliest people you'll meet. You'll love it over there. Its England with less people.

Astute

Born and dragged up in Cov. Lived elsewhere more than half of my life but get to as many games as I can. Over 4 hours each way for a home game. Travel to Cov so I can get on supporters coaches for most away games I go to......even if I pass where we are playing on the way to Cov :D

Otis

Think you'll find that is just a song from the Lion King and it doesn't actually exist.

If your missus is sending you there she can't love you very much. :D

cyril

NZ do better pies, better fish n chips (try some smoked marlin). The best dairy products. If you're into wines, you'll get a good reisling around matakana. Get some Maori grub into ya too. Despite being built like brick houses, Maoris are the friendliest people you'll meet. You'll love it over there. Its England with less people.
Like Jake demus??
I'm looking forward to it. Was supposed to be going south island for honeymoon but now have to go work 24 h after getting married.

Users who are viewing this thread