Why Coventry? (1 Viewer)

favshirt

I would like to know why you support Coventry?

Did your dad follow them and take you to a match when you were a kid? Do you remember your first time watching the club? The game, the atmosphere? Why do you love them so much?

I would be very interested in reading your replies.

thanks.

I was born here and all my family have been City supporters since the club started. Might aswell keep the tradition going cus my brother was born in Leicester, so he doesnt know what football is lol

DazzleTommyDazzle

My Dad came from Coventry.

I can't remember a time before I supported them - it's always been so!

First game I can remember was losing 2-1 at home to Leeds in (I think) 1969.

hill83

A mixture of me not understanding why most of my mates had man utd/liverpool tops on when we were in Coventry, and then my dad returning from Holland and taking me up to games.

blueflint

born king richard st nu 71 used to sneak in without payin followed ever since been a fan since early 50s

Sub

the history of winning many trophies, standing buy our long serving manager, buying players at a low price and selling at a profit and reinvesting in the team, the great relationship between fans and the owners and the main thing is the fact we manage to fill our stadium everygame no matter who we play !!!;);)

real reason though born in coventry and my home town team always will be no matter where i live !!!

lordsummerisle

My dad was a Man United supporter, and initially supported them because of that, despite being from Warwickshire, started to go to City games from about 10 as my mate the vicars son in the village I lived in had a season ticket with his sister and dad, but his sister never wanted to go.

Jimmy Hill used to go hores-riding round the village as was mates with the people next door to the vicarage, and got us all a tour of Ryton and to meet the players one year so felt more of an affinity with the local team, was always quite funny at games with people saying "come on you fucking useless wankers" etc and turning round and seeing my mates dad in his dog collar.

skyblueman

Coventry Born & Bred - first game with dad 1972 - never forget it bloody magical - I was hooked

Just inflicted same punishment on my lad too - he's also got a life sentence

Otis

My dad was a Man United supporter, and initially supported them because of that, despite being from Warwickshire, started to go to City games from about 10 as my mate the vicars son in the village I lived in had a season ticket with his sister and dad, but his sister never wanted to go.

Jimmy Hill used to go hores-riding round the village as was mates with the people next door to the vicarage, and got us all a tour of Ryton and to meet the players one year so felt more of an affinity with the local team, was always quite funny at games with people saying "come on you fucking useless wankers" etc and turning round and seeing my mates dad in his dog collar.

Always knew he had a dark side.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

All of my family - Dad, uncles and extended family were City supporters; but really only started going to games regularly after my egg-chasing was ceased due to knackered knee ligaments. Until that point, I hoped to make my mark as a fine 'number 8'; and had played for Wales under-23 team.

First season with a season ticket would have been 1993, I recall - just before Dion arrived. Since then, every season; rain and shine.

Mainly rain....

Mr B

Jimmy Hill Rode what? I hope you mean Horses dear boy or your defiling a Legend! :eek:

Ash

Wanted to support Liverpool when I was 7 cause I had no idea about football and I'd heard the other lads in my class saying they supported them. My Dad pretty much forced me to follow City and I haven't looked back since, and even though we're shite I'm glad he did!

cyril

Truth is my mum chose cos it was my birthday and the city kit was cheaper than Liverpool. ( Hummel one)

ccfcdan

I started going up to reserve games with my brother when I was 12. Only a quid to get in and it was all we could afford at the time. Then managed to get a job delivering leaflets at 14 and started to attend games at HR.Been hooked ever since.

D

Deleted member 4232

Started late last year. I'm a kiwi, so more used to watching the All Blacks win everything. Met my girlfriend in 2010, while she was travelling Australia, moved over here Sept 2011 and went to a few games, follow the news closely, gutted when we lose, happy when we win. Not born and bred like most of you, not huge on my knowledge of the clubs history or football in general but I'm doing the best I can!

scroobiustom

Because Steve Froggatt told me too...

cyril

@ that guy. Where in kiwi land you from? Going in Jan to get married to one of your lot.
Also why do they drink so much?

LastGarrison

Sames as most born and bred.

However not sure where I got my passion for the club from, my Old Man, although a Cov fan, was never massively into football and think he only ever took me to two games (Liverpool at home mid 80's and Banik Ostrava at home in a friendly late 80's I think). Me and my brother (also not really a football fan) played rugby from the age of 5 through to 16 but I was always much much more into football.

We used to have fights at Cally pretty much every week, one end of the corridor was the rugby lads and the other end the football lads and I always used to join in on the footballers side. Which didn't do me much good because the rugby lads would, on the whole, knock fuck out of the footballers. :D

Used to listen to the City on the radio every week without fail and cut out the players pictures from the telegraph and the pink and have them on the wall, then I got my first season ticket around the age of 13/14 and went with a group of lads from school and was properly hooked for a good 12/14 years after hardly missing a home game.

Last 3/4 years has seen my passion dissipate and in fact I didn't attend a single game last season and have only done Crewe away so far this season. Combination of different factors but just don't get "the buzz" like I used to anymore.

I am jumping on the JPT bandwagon though and will be going up Tuesday night. Might even give the flag an airing just for the crack.

Users who are viewing this thread