Why Coventry? (1 Viewer)

OdieStracs

Born in Scotland, brought up in Northern Ireland....where every single person wears either a Rangers or Celtic top, or a Man U or Liverpool jersey, despite none of them ever going anywhere near Glasgow, Liverpool or manchester, and probably not even knowing whey they are!

So i thought id be a bit rebellious.

At age of 12, had never been to Coventry and had no idea where it was!

87 cup final..v Spurs, first ever live game on telly i watched and i picked the Blue shirts at the start and from there they were my chosen team

Thank God they won!!!

Now i live in Essex!!!

Do you have any idea how many times ive explained that to people who wonder why a guy with an Irish accent supports Coventry!!

kg82

Great place stayed on both sides as well although the Victory Hill side is more the old boys chasing the hookers. Still a good crack though.

Reckon my next extended jaunt has going to have to be South America......

Yeah, I'll be starting off in Ghana, then to India, then SE Asia and then S America! Hoping to stay until Brazil 2014 and be there at the time!

win9nut

Funny thatI was a Leeds fan in my younger days. My uncle used to take me to HR, my first match was in 1991 against Leeds. When I went to secondary school, my occasional visit turned into a season ticket and that was me, Sky Blue through and through. It was literally one of the best decisions I've ever made. I don't think I would have been half as passionate about Leeds or, indeed football at all. All of this talk about owners and finance and people being bitter about the club not being what it was... They seem to miss the point. The reason I continue to spend my money on CCFC is not because I agree with these owners, Mark Robins or anyone else, it's because it's what I've been doing with my family for years, and it's a tradition, a passion that I feel honoured to have been gifted with.

We are Coventry City. We lose all the time, outsiders aren't sure whether we're a sleeping giant or if we've been punching above our weight, if they even care at all. Some of our fans aren't sure whether we're a sleeping giant or if we've been punching above our weight, if they still care at all!! We haven't had a top 6 finish in forever. We rarely get written about in the papers or talked about on TV. Referees hate us, our rivals aren't as fierce as the old firm.

But...

We've got the memories and legacy of Jimmy Hill, 1987, the colour Sky Blue, PUSB, Robbie Keane, Darren Huckerby, Gary McAllister, Chippo, Hadji, Hutchinson, Gould... we've even got Paul flippin' Telfer and Paul Williams. We've got David McGoldrick, Kieran Westood... We've got unexpected victories, we've got Sutton Utd, Coventry Talbot, 6-1 down and we're still singing, Twist and Shout, LAST, GMK, Sky Blues Talk, chocolate brown football shirts, stripes or plain, a sort of famous fella from a soap, Mo Konjic, Jarni, Hartson, we've jot a great JSB section in the ground, an awesome badge, 4-1 at the Villa, that last half an hour where we're 2-0 up but still have the feeling we're going to lose, Dion Dublin and his Dube, the commentator on FIFA 13 saying "Fantastic save from Joe Murphy... and the most important thing... we have a hardcore fan base who write on here, contribute to Cov City Mad, organise boycott/protest hybrids, work for the club, wear the badge, bore their friends and flood facebook on a Saturday and talk about Cody McDonald as if he were Torres.

We are special, unique and have a history to be proud of. Our club, regardless of spin and league, unites families and the community and makes me proud. I support Coventry City, The Sky Blues... a proper football club with a proper history, and because of that, I have to have faith in a proper future for the club.

Well said.

I was born and bred in Cov. Can't remember my first game. One of my earliest memories was sitting in the Family stand one day when Cov were playing a team in claret and blue colours... Could have been Burnley for all I remember.

I just know that I've always supported Cov before I can even remember. My mum was having a clear out the other day and found my first ever city shirt (Talbot). For its size I must've been two...

My Dad, Grandad, Uncle all supported Cov before me.

PUSB

LastGarrison

Yeah, I'll be starting off in Ghana, then to India, then SE Asia and then S America! Hoping to stay until Brazil 2014 and be there at the time!

Fair play to ya.

I've already started making plans for Brazil '14 with the lads but my missus wants a baby so we'll have to see who wins. :D

SkyBlueM

Born and bred in Coventry - my Uncle took me to my first game when I was seven 30 odd years ago, have been a Skyblue for as long as I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread