Whilst i'm very disappointed (2 Viewers)

malkitccfc

If we fail to get promoted with possibly the leagues top goalscorer and the squad we have, its nothing but a failure.

edgy

Agree with the failure posts. From our position after Gillingham to failing to get into the playoffs will be woeful. And Mowbray should shoulder the blame.

Otis

If we fail to get promoted with possibly the leagues top goalscorer and the squad we have, its nothing but a failure.
Don't totally agree with that, but would say it is if we don't finish top 6.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there has only been one 3 or 4 day period when we have been outside the top 6 since the start of the campaign.

If after being top 6 all season, we then drop out, that is failure. Has to be.

We have been top 6 all this time. Where were all the comments on here during that period saying we weren't good enough for the top 6 when we were in the top 6 and a number of points clear?

We obviously have been good enough for the top 6 all season and if we are good enough, then dropping out of the play-off positions has to be failure.

It seems to me some people are now only saying that outside the top 6 is not a failure because we have suddenly been caught up and are now in danger of falling out.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

It seems to me some people are now only saying that outside the top 6 is not a failure because we have suddenly been caught up and are now in danger of falling out.

tbf, I was always thinking midtable would be alright. That would have been on condition of us bobbing around there all the time, however, and the occasional player progressing nicely through the season (A Lameiras or a Phillips)... it'd have also seen us not throw the cups away, seemingly, to focus on the league.

It would be more it'd be a big decline for us to get there and, bar Stokes(?) and Fleck (who's out of contract) we haven't really seen any of our own players progress.

Sky Blue Kid

Up to and including the Gills game we were worthy of the top 6. but the last 3 months, we blatantly have not. Thank God for the brilliant start to the season, without which we would be fighting relegation right at this moment in time. Think about it, we were 3-4 points clear at the top of the league at one point. Now we're on a greasy pole sliding down into the also rans. :(

Last edited:

torchomatic

This is true. Not only has the brilliant start of the season helped but also the fact that other teams around us are also wobbling...it's those behind us like Bradford and Southend we need to keep an eye on.

Up to and including the Gills game we were worthy of the top 6. but the last 3 months, we blatantly have not. Thank God for the brilliant start to the season, without which we would be fighting relegation right at this moment in time. Think about it, we were 3-4 points clear at the top of the league at one point. Now we're on a greasy pole sliding down into the also rans. :(

shy_tall_knight

Mid-table would be acceptable if it looked like we were forming the basis of a team/ squad to compete in the following season, Stokes & RCC - yes have clearly improved and will be part of next years team, Vincelot & Ricketts not sure about improved and both really struggled Saturday, not sure they are top 6 quality especially as Ricketts will be 35 next season. We have gambled short-term which I agree with as we needed a good season to restablish the club but not making the top 6 will feel like a failure.

Otis

This is true. Not only has the brilliant start of the season helped but also the fact that other teams around us are also wobbling...it's those behind us like Bradford and Southend we need to keep an eye on.
This often happens. It's the ones coming up on the rails you have to be wary of, while some teams at the top suddenly run out of steam and tiredness and injuries kick in.

Bradford and Barnsley are the two that worry me.

chiefdave

At the start of the season mid table would have been acceptable to me but having been top of the league a fall out of the play offs would be a huge disappointment.

I can accept the idea that all teams have bad runs but ours shows little sign of ending. When we finished playing teams at the top I expected us to go back on a run and get back up there but that hasn't happened. The season is rapidly approaching its conclusion, things need to change quickly or we're likely to completely fall away.

Not saying we should be sacking Mowbray or anything like that but if we do end up out of the play offs serious questions over his role in the fall will have to be addressed.

Otis

It's fair comment.

Quite shocking to note that we have only twice this season had sequences of back to back wins.

While earlier we were drawing and winning the odd one, now we are losing games we previously would have been drawing.

Otis

From 24th November against Bradford. We have played 14 games, and won only 3. :eek:
It's okay, paxman says we are going to now suddenly have plenty of wins!

That is based on ...errm ...err....... the fact we had back to back wins back in November?

Everyone is now going to play like Bury?

Bribery?

torchomatic

We did really well at the beginning of the season but we aren't doing so well now...so...people automatically presume we'll do just as poorly in the remainder of our fixtures.

Anything can happen, I won't be as quick to write off the team as many on here are.

It's okay, paxman says we are going to now suddenly have plenty of wins!

That is based on ...errm ...err....... the fact we had back to back wins back in November?

Everyone is now going to play like Bury?

Bribery?

Otis

We did really well at the beginning of the season but we aren't doing so well now...so...people automatically presume we'll do just as poorly in the remainder of our fixtures.

Anything can happen, I won't be as quick to write off the team as many on here are.
Me neither, Torch, but if we carry on with these same tactics and same formation then I fear the worst.

We need to change things around and try a slightly different approach, be that two up front, or whatever.

We need to shuffle the pack and while not drastically changing things, we need to make some alterations to our set up.

As I said on the match thread, why not try something like switching Armstrong and have him playing just behind either Tudgay or Henderson? Could then drop either Madison or Murphy and bring Rose in.

after yesterdays result [Fleetwood Town FGS ] The sign of a club moving forward , is making progress . that's enough for me to be content we're heading in the right direction . we will finish 8th - 12 th . this is progress compared to last season [ Crawley final day etc ] so , before we get too downhearted , let's see how we do next season . #PUSB

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Gazolba

<snip> I won't be as quick to write off the team as many on here are.

No-one is writing them off, they are managing to do that very effectively themselves.

Gazolba

We need to change things around and try a slightly different approach, be that two up front, or whatever.

We need to shuffle the pack<snip>

You mean the strategy (suggested by many on here) to pick our strongest team and play them week after week is being abandoned after one game?

Gazolba

Not the keeper any more then, Gazbola? Couple of weeks ago you were saying the problem was the keeper.

Now it is the defence and the midfield.

Are you moving up the pitch in stages? ;)

The goal-keeper is part of the defense is he not? I still think we need a better goal-keeper, but the two goals we conceded against Fleetwood were the direct result of defensive mistakes. I don't think we currently lack striking talent. Maybe effort but not talent.

Otis

You mean the strategy (suggested by many on here) to pick our strongest team and play them week after week is being abandoned after one game?
It's not one game though is it. We have been failing for months.

TM said he believed he put out what is probably his strongest team on Saturday and it failed spectacularly.

And of course it's not an exact science, because you can put out your so called strongest team, but then if players have stinkers, like Murphy and Madison did you can't just then automatically pick them for the next game.

Yes, you try and pick your strongest team, but you also want to put out players who are on form and not badly out of it.

Murphy may well be in our strongest 11 when he's playing well, but when he's pants he obviously should be nowhere near it.

jimchin

I understand what you are saying but it's the strongest squad in a number of years....(albeit on loan) and given the start I'm afraid not making the play offs can only be seen as extremely disappointing

Users who are viewing this thread