What the fuck (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Slippery slope that. What next? She had fake tan I don’t consent? She was getting back at her ex I don’t consent?

Any uni student is an adult and capable of deciding who to sleep with in full knowledge that people on the pull lie and don’t call back.
Not really. It’s a sex game, either you’re happy to take part or you’re not but if you’re part of it you should be made aware or you’re being used.

shmmeee

Not really. It’s a sex game, either you’re happy to take part or you’re not but if you’re part of it you should be made aware or you’re being used.

All sex is sex games. How do I know anyone’s motivations for sleeping with me? As long as the women consented to what happened, the motivations are irrelevant.

Sexual assault is serious. This is just a dick move comparable with claiming you’re a pilot or whatever.

Nick

Administrator

The world is in trouble if anybody who uses somebody else for sex is a rapist. 99% of people will be in jail for crimes either current or historical.

Mucca Mad Boys

Pompous idiots. But, they’re effectively being condemned and potentially punished for speech.

I’m suspicious of any policing of speech. People should have to right to say ridiculous things - that’s also a two way street.

Agree with @shmmeee, a slippery slope indeed.

Evo1883

To be fair, my what's app group with my old army mates wouldn't be deemed a pleasant read for many females 🤷

Mucca Mad Boys

All sex is sex games. How do I know anyone’s motivations for sleeping with me? As long as the women consented to what happened, the motivations are irrelevant.

Sexual assault is serious. This is just a dick move comparable with claiming you’re a pilot or whatever.

I imagine it’s something said very much tongue in cheek. Does anyone really think they’re going round asking students/local in a night club how much they/their family is on?

Durham Uni has one of the highest % of private-educated students.

Nick

Administrator
To be fair, my what's app group with my old army mates wouldn't be deemed a pleasant read for many females 🤷

It's naive for people to think Women don't have them too.

As I said, work in an office that's mainly women and see what happens when a Fireman or an attractive visitor turns up.

It's more when people want to go out of their way to be offended.

Evo1883

Do you know what's more upsetting though... Man United 3rd kit ...only one club that does a good black and white kit

theferret

What on earth has this got to do with the point being discussed?

It was a tongue in cheek response to the posts that immediately proceeded it which had started to go down a political road. It helps if you read the thread.

Anyway, the whole debate about cancel culture and the policing of speech is increasingly being fought along left/right lines. The 'mob', whether they be a twitter mob piling on to JK Rowling, a mob trying to topple a statue somewhere, a mob marauding through Portland smashing up property, or the mob in the image screaming at someone for refusing to adopt their salute; they all claim to represent the left. They have that in common no? Proper leftists can disown them, and should, but it doesn't stop it being true. The whole target of the OP was 'rich white boys', so don't tell me this isn't political.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Do you know the song by the small faces, ohh la? I think that sums it up.

Generally if a bloke wants to shag a girl it is because he wants to shag her. With women it's usually: I'm lonely/he isn't giving me much attention/I want to get back at him/I want to pretend I don't need to commit to someone so I'll have a one night stand.

Honestly wish I was gay. Would be so much easier.

Ian1779

It was a tongue in cheek response to the posts that immediately proceeded it which had started to go down a political road. It helps if you read the thread.

Anyway, the whole debate about cancel culture and the policing of speech is increasingly being fought along left/right lines. The 'mob', whether they be a twitter mob piling on to JK Rowling, a mob trying to topple a statue somewhere, a mob marauding through Portland smashing up property, or the mob in the image screaming at someone for refusing to adopt their salute; they all claim to represent the left. They have that in common no? Proper leftists can disown them, and should, but it doesn't stop it being true. The whole target of the OP was 'rich white boys', so don't tell me this isn't political.

Not true at all. The only people claiming they represent the left are the people on the other side of the political spectrum who like to categorise in this way because they lack the intellectual capacity to understand why people might speak out. Cancel culture is a myth pedalled by right wing snowflakes that get called out for their intolerant bile.

And speaking of ‘mob’ culture - pretty sure the mob of Saville and his band of sexual abusers weren’t exactly identifying on the left side of the political spectrum were they.

Mcbean

Many years ago in our halls of residence a couple of girls from the college decided that would try and shag as many lads in the hall
As possible one Saturday - I have no idea how many they went through but they were legends - most of the lads had to make a visit to the local clinic In the following week at the time which was hilarious but no one was offended by the action -Some of the lads Learnt a thing or two - the difference is today social media on this would have gone viral And many would have been offended . Not just sure which party would have hauled over the coals as it was all consensual - Sadly the world has changed to this woke bollox and attitudes today would not have seen this as harmless fun no one was being exploited -

Nick

Administrator
Many years ago in our halls of residence a couple of girls from the college decided that would try and shag as many lads in the hall
As possible one Saturday - I have no idea how many they went through but they were legends - most of the lads had to make a visit to the local clinic In the following week at the time which was hilarious but no one was offended by the action -Some of the lads Learnt a thing or two - the difference is today social media on this would have gone viral And many would have been offended . Not just sure which party would have hauled over the coals as it was all consensual - Sadly the world has changed to this woke bollox and attitudes today would not have seen this as harmless fun no one was being exploited -

Yeah but were the boys who were victims OK? Did they get the support they needed to come to terms with it?

Mucca Mad Boys

Not true at all. The only people claiming they represent the left are the people on the other side of the political spectrum who like to categorise in this way because they lack the intellectual capacity to understand why people might speak out. Cancel culture is a myth pedalled by right wing snowflakes that get called out for their intolerant bile.

And speaking of ‘mob’ culture - pretty sure the mob of Saville and his band of sexual abusers weren’t exactly identifying on the left side of the political spectrum were they.

Cancel culture is not a myth.

You’ve got universities cancelling events for numerous speakers. Yes, predominantly conservative speakers, but people like Germaine Greer have been cancelled because her feminism isn’t inclusive of trans people.

Freedom of speech shouldn’t be curtailed at all. All ideas should be able to have a public space to debate their ideas, and ultimately, the best ideas end up winning on the merits of its arguments.

You can’t kill ideas by ‘cancelling’ them, you drive them underground and people can get sucked into echo chambers with no alternative views presented. Especially now social media recommends more people who are similar to people you follow/subscribe to.

Ian1779

Cancel culture is not a myth.

You’ve got universities cancelling events for numerous speakers. Yes, predominantly conservative speakers, but people like Germaine Greer have been cancelled because her feminism isn’t inclusive of trans people.

Freedom of speech shouldn’t be curtailed at all. All ideas should be able to have a public space to debate their ideas, and ultimately, the best ideas end up winning on the merits of its arguments.

You can’t kill ideas by ‘cancelling’ them, you drive them underground and people can get sucked into echo chambers with no alternative views presented. Especially now social media recommends more people who are similar to people you follow/subscribe to.

Of course people should have the platform to debate ideas across a variety of views and political beliefs, that doesn’t mean that a) a cancel culture is taking over and b) that it should give free rein to people with some pretty horrific views. There is still enough distinction between discussing controversial ideas and giving a platform to a racist.

No one would dream of giving a platform to a Holocaust denier for example... denying that to someone would not be evidence of a cancel culture either.

Mucca Mad Boys

Of course people should have the platform to debate ideas across a variety of views and political beliefs, that doesn’t mean that a) a cancel culture is taking over and b) that it should give free rein to people with some pretty horrific views. There is still enough distinction between discussing controversial ideas and giving a platform to a racist.

No one would dream of giving a platform to a Holocaust denier for example... denying that to someone would not be evidence of a cancel culture either.

Yes, but there’s clearly an issue with student groups in universities pressuring their institutions to cancel speakers from the centre to right speakers. This has even spilled over to certain left wing speakers who may have a single controversial view. Going back to Germaine Greer, she was cancelled because of her views about trans people, and her talk had nothing to do with trans issues.

Also, there is an increasing tendency on the left to exaggerate the perniciousness of conservative speakers. This was possibly been copied from the right, where they dismissed people anything to the left of social democrats as ‘Trots’, ‘communists’ and so on.

I listen to Ben Shapiro a fair bit to challenge my own assumptions about the world. But, I’m not a conservative. Since he’s outspoken about political correctness and ‘woke’ politics, amongst other things. He’s been branded ‘Alt-right’, ‘white supremacist’ and some views discounted because he is a ‘white cisgender male’. Yet, he routinely brands the ‘Alt-Right’ as evil, is Jewish, and at various points was receiving the anti-Semitic abuse from white supremacists.

I don’t really agree with Farage on a lot, but it bothers me that people call him a ‘racist’, ‘fascist’ or ‘xenophobic’ and the UKIP a ‘neo-nazi party’ (more extreme end of criticism). They’re lazy arguments and these kinds of lazy arguments is why the liberal-left have continued to lose the argument on immigration for over a decade now.

You’ve also go comedians no longer wanting to do uni gigs because of the threat of no-platforms or being ‘cancelled’. This is not a good sign.

I’m rambling. So I’ll end on one point, it’s better for people with terrible views to be challenged in public, by the public rather than to be ‘no platformed’ and driven underground.

As soon as Nick Griffin and the BNP were ‘legitimised’ by given a slot on BBC QT, they were embarrassed, Griffin looked a fool and the BNP’s support started to crumble. The best argument against no-platforms.

SkyBlueOz

It reminds me of that bloody Mungo Jerry song " If her daddys rich , take her out for a meal". " If her Daddys poor, then do what you feel". Makes me cringe every time i hear it.

shmmeee

We did give “platforms” to holocaust deniers. We had a trial in court FFS. They lost miserably and were discredited.

We’re living in the age of infinite “platforms”.

Anyway what’s actually happening is a bunch of randoms are having their lives ruined because of one bad tweet or simply holding views that don’t align with the most radical social justice activists. Look at Jk Rowling, who has fuck you money and is basically untouchable, but another smaller writer got dropped for supporting her. A woman fired for the crime of supporting another woman saying women exist and are an important political category.

Or the Data Analyst fired for retweeting a study (by a black man not that it matters) that showed the democrat vote goes down in areas with race riots. Not even agreeing with anything, just highlighting a study.

It’s rife in academia with people having research funding withdrawn or teaching positions lost because of slightly socially conservative views.

It’s disingenuous to pretend that we’re just stopping some Really Bad Guys saying Really Bad Things. It’s the exact same nasty mob rule as those pedo hunters who attacked a paediatrician.

Brighton Sky Blue

We did give “platforms” to holocaust deniers. We had a trial in court FFS. They lost miserably and were discredited.

Anyway what’s actually happening is a bunch of randoms are having their lives ruined because of one bad tweet or simply holding views that don’t align with the most radical social justice activists. Look at Jk Rowling, who has fuck you money and is basically untouchable, but another smaller writer got dropped for supporting her. A woman fired for the crime of supporting another woman saying women exist and are an important political category.

Or the Data Analyst fired for retweeting a study (by a black man not that it matters) that showed the democrat vote goes down in areas with race riots. Not even agreeing with anything, just highlighting a study.

It’s rife in academia with people having research funding withdrawn or teaching positions lost because of slightly socially conservative views.

It’s disingenuous to pretend that we’re just stopping some Really Bad Guys saying Really Bad Things. It’s the exact same nasty mob rule as those pedo hunters who attacked a paediatrician.

This whole idea of trying to get people sacked for saying anything unfortunate has to stop.

Mucca Mad Boys

This whole idea of trying to get people sacked for saying anything unfortunate has to stop.

Agreed.

There’s seemingly no room for forgiveness when someone may say something out of line and maybe a bit misinformed.

Cancel culture will eat itself alive anyway. Robin DiAngelo, who wrote ‘White Fragility’, faced a bit of backlash because she is a white woman

In general, atomising everyone to their immutable characteristics is not a good way to run society. The rights of the individual is what made Western democracies particularly stable.

Evo1883

I know its been quite rare lately... But I agree with this post of yours

Evo1883

My dad was at university finishing off his phscology degree a couple years back ... And he said the fear of saying something wrong or out of place is a big problem

Evo1883

Define wrong. Back something up with valid sources and evidence, and you can say what you want on every degree I can have immediate experience of...

Source = dad
Evidence = none sorry
What you want me to say, he told me his experience, I believe him, you don't who cares 😂

Ian1779

More than I’m left wing I’m pro free speech and debate. Ideas are hardened in debate and no one has complete answers for everything. You should be able to be wrong, it’s a human right. Diversity of thought is our species’ secret weapon.
I don’t disagree with this, where I feel uncomfortable is where ‘free speech’ is utilised to degrade, dehumanise and persecute people.

Mucca Mad Boys

I don’t disagree with this, where I feel uncomfortable is where ‘free speech’ is utilised to degrade, dehumanise and persecute people.

Even if that is the case, most of the people shut down are not guilty of persecuting people. Ultimately, speech that is based on bigoted and hateful arguments is discredited in the public when confronted with empirical evidence.

Liberal values have to protected at all costs, and freedom of (all) speech is the most important value of them all. Even people I vehemently disagree with.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed.

There’s seemingly no room for forgiveness when someone may say something out of line and maybe a bit misinformed.

Cancel culture will eat itself alive anyway. Robin DiAngelo, who wrote ‘White Fragility’, faced a bit of backlash because she is a white woman

In general, atomising everyone to their immutable characteristics is not a good way to run society. The rights of the individual is what made Western democracies particularly stable.

It’s the hounding and weird satisfaction they get when someone’s sacked that sits badly with me.

Brighton Sky Blue

Even if that is the case, most of the people shut down are not guilty of persecuting people. Ultimately, speech that is based on bigoted and hateful arguments is discredited in the public when confronted with empirical evidence.

Liberal values have to protected at all costs, and freedom of (all) speech is the most important value of them all. Even people I vehemently disagree with.

Even if it causes people to shoot up pizza shops because Alex Jones fed them bullshit?

Users who are viewing this thread