What are you currently listening to? (18 Viewers)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet. German band way ahead of their time. Electronics and musical instruments were a big experiment for them at the time. You needed a great stereo system to really benefit this sound!

Gazolba

The Knack - "Good Girls Don't" (uncensored version):

torchomatic

Tangerine Dream - Ricochet. German band way ahead of their time. Electronics and musical instruments were a big experiment for them at the time. You needed a great stereo system to really benefit this sound!

I love that album. I have a few different versions of it and was one of the first CDs I bought back in the 80s. I'm a bit of an anorak here, but in those days lots of CDs were pressed in Japan as that's where the only pressing plants were, then there was one in West Germany and one in Holland. The early CDs do sound pretty good and are "warmer" than the newer CDs. The cases were also different and had a "smooth" edge rather than the stippled ones nowadays. They were a lot thicker plastic too. I'm a big Krautrock fan.

Mcbean

Given Ricochet a listen and the Orb - given me a bit of music anxiety - how am I going to listen to all this cracking stuff ? I catch a clip on the radio and think - that’s brilliant must dig it out so it was Nantucket Sleighride on Sunday night - just epic - have now taken to putting Planet rock on Sunday night as I go to bed to catch the long player

torchomatic

Given Ricochet a listen and the Orb - given me a bit of music anxiety - how am I going to listen to all this cracking stuff ? I catch a clip on the radio and think - that’s brilliant must dig it out so it was Nantucket Sleighride on Sunday night - just epic - have now taken to putting Planet rock on Sunday night as I go to bed to catch the long player

While you're tangerine dreaming, I would also heartily recommend Neu, Harmonia, Cluster, La Dusseldorf and Can. That's the beauty of Spotify and similar services. Try before you buy. I've always been a bit mad on German electronica.

There's also a couple of more "modern" takes on that kind of stuff. Stereolab. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. That's all I can say.

Also Kosmischer Laufer, which means Cosmic Runner. They have a great backstory, which is totally false.

The story is a guy was smuggled over the border from East to West Germany in the early 70s to record music for the East German Olympic teams to train to and to inspire.

Biography | Kosmischer Läufer – Kosmischer Laufer

It's all nonsense, it's a bloke from Sheffield. All brilliant stuff though, there have been four albums so far, each one a peach.

torchomatic

That's just epic.
Could work as an instrumental also.

Yes, Shamal is my favourite Gong LP, it's from 75, but their other albums are good too.

Camel are another favourite prog rock band of mine. Give them a go too if you haven't heard them before. This is a classic:

Last edited:

Gazolba

The Knack - "My Sharona" (Live concert, Bremen, Germany):

Ring Of Steel

While you're tangerine dreaming, I would also heartily recommend Neu, Harmonia, Cluster, La Dusseldorf and Can. That's the beauty of Spotify and similar services. Try before you buy. I've always been a bit mad on German electronica.

There's also a couple of more "modern" takes on that kind of stuff. Stereolab. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. That's all I can say.

Also Kosmischer Laufer, which means Cosmic Runner. They have a great backstory, which is totally false.

The story is a guy was smuggled over the border from East to West Germany in the early 70s to record music for the East German Olympic teams to train to and to inspire.

Biography | Kosmischer Läufer – Kosmischer Laufer

It's all nonsense, it's a bloke from Sheffield. All brilliant stuff though, there have been four albums so far, each one a peach.

If you’re not already you should get on Mixcloud- hours of great stuff like this.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Gene Pitney I'm gonna be strong , Town without Pity,The Man who Shot Liberty Valence and a Version of Angels never heard before. He used to be great live. Just read on You Tube he once performed without a mic at Great Yarmouth when it broke well believe it

Houchens Head

Gene Pitney I'm gonna be strong , Town without Pity,The Man who Shot Liberty Valence and a Version of Angels never heard before. He used to be great live. Just read on You Tube he once performed without a mic at Great Yarmouth when it broke well believe it
Ah yes. gene Pitney. The man who's voice inspired Elmer Fudd.
Only joking! He sang some great songs. One of my old mam's favourite singers!

Gazolba

The Misunderstood - "I Can Take You to the Sun:
Psychedelia from 1966.

Gazolba

Roxy Music - "Virginia Plain":

Houchens Head

Where's our friend BBR , nearly a month without a post .
Hope he hasn't slipped off his ladder during the shitty weather we've had.
He's fine. We private message each other now and again, mostly about music. He's in the process of moving so it might be awkward for him to sit and type!

Kneeza

Sleighride is one of the greatest pieces of music ever.
IMO!

Kneeza

Anyone else use the Jango Radio app?
Customizable to whatever kind of stuff you like.
I'm currently overdosing on a diet of Dire Straits, SRV, Floyd, Small Faces, Who, Hendrix, Stones, Cocker, etc etc. And free with no ads to get in the way.
Excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread