Westworld (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Do you need to watch the film first?

Otis

No, Daz, I would say not. It stands out there on its own just fine.

It is quite different to the film in many ways. It the film there is a clear distinction between robot and human and in this the lines are very much blurred.

Otis

The only things in common at the moment are that, it is in the future, there is a theme park inhabited by robots, where you have a complete experience and that the robots do on some occasions actually go wrong.

That's about it really. As this is only the first episode it is merely dipping it's toes into the water I would say.

Last edited:

Pipehitterz

Watched it tonight and it was superb.
Really really entertaining with a real a list of actors, although that English guy grated my cheese
Lots of plots already laid in the first episode too.
Been waiting for a tv series to catch my attention, good stuff

Otis

Watched it tonight and it was superb.
Really really entertaining with a real a list of actors, although that English guy grated my cheese
Lots of plots already laid in the first episode too.
Been waiting for a tv series to catch my attention, good stuff
Maybe I was the only one not bothered by the English guy. :)

I just took it that his character was supposed to be really annoying and he carried it off just fine, but yes, overall it was superb wasn't it.

Perfect blend of a great look and feel, great acting, lots of intrigue and a very cool premise. With robots instead of dinosaurs it opens up a whole new world of possibility.

I dare say in the future, long after we have all popped our clogs, that such theme parks will indeed exist.

Nick

Administrator
Put it on last night and got about 3 minutes in and turned it off. Couldn't get into it at all, might try again later.

covcity4life

enjoyed that. didnt know the premise so glad that its like dollhouse which i loved.

i imagine some will become self-aware. good stuff

RegTheDonk

Loved it.

Although I like Sci-Fi I was never a big fan of the original film, perhaps because it concentrated on the tech rather than the characters. This one was spot on though, straight away you were rooting for the "robots" and seeing them as people...and that was before the black-clad gunslinger popped up and you knew who was and who wasn't "real".

I imagine as it develops, the robots will become "conscious" in the traditional electric sheep/blade runner way. Don't know where they will take the story after that, but its been good so far.

Otis

Loved it.

Although I like Sci-Fi I was never a big fan of the original film, perhaps because it concentrated on the tech rather than the characters. This one was spot on though, straight away you were rooting for the "robots" and seeing them as people...and that was before the black-clad gunslinger popped up and you knew who was and who wasn't "real".

I imagine as it develops, the robots will become "conscious" in the traditional electric sheep/blade runner way. Don't know where they will take the story after that, but its been good so far.
Spot on. Agree with all that.

olderskyblue

Watched last nights episode. It's building up very nicely

Otis

Watched last nights episode. It's building up very nicely
I did think it was a bit of a muddle at times last night, but fully accept that after the first episode they had to expand it and bring on new characters, hence the two new guest cowboys.

Still really enjoyed it and it really does look like it is going to be very thought provoking, yet thrilling at the same time.

Ed Harris is excellent too. Really soaks up and commands the whole screen when it's his scene.

chiefdave

Sky have got the film up on demand as well. Never seen it and not sure if I should watch it now or wait until the series is over.

Otis

Sky have got the film up on demand as well. Never seen it and not sure if I should watch it now or wait until the series is over.
It will probably seem very lame paired up against this and I do still find I can't look at Ed Harris as the man in black without thinking about Yul Bryner as the man in black, even though they do seem entirely different.

I am glad I watched the film again just before the TV series and not the other way round.

olderskyblue

It's really dated now. I wouldn't bother with the film.

Otis

It's really dated now. I wouldn't bother with the film.
Yeah, I was surprised as to just how much.

I saw it about 15 years ago and still loved it, but watching it again just a few weeks ago, I did find it had dated an awful lot.

Pipehitterz

superb episode
opening up all kiinds of long storylines
my mrs said she liked this episode better then the first
imdb search suggests these 2 new guys are in it for rest of series 1 , and the boy is in 5 episodes too

ed harris is just having so much fun in this part

one thing that bothers me is the use of knives
kinda means anyone can kill anyone doesnt it? humans and robots, even tho the whole premise is they cant?

hill83

Loving it so far. Watched the first two twice. Watched the film last night too, dated as bollocks but I enjoyed it.

hill83

They've agreed 5 seasons with HBO. I just hope it doesn't turn into a walking dead drag-it-out-athon.

Pipehitterz

They've agreed 5 seasons with HBO. I just hope it doesn't turn into a walking dead drag-it-out-athon.
lol iknew fro the first WD series that it wasnt getting anywhere anytime soon, there is a fantastic 'honest trailer' for WD on youtube

Otis

superb episode
opening up all kiinds of long storylines
my mrs said she liked this episode better then the first
imdb search suggests these 2 new guys are in it for rest of series 1 , and the boy is in 5 episodes too

ed harris is just having so much fun in this part

one thing that bothers me is the use of knives
kinda means anyone can kill anyone doesnt it? humans and robots, even tho the whole premise is they cant?
I think it is just that for the robots it is programmed and the humans are policed, but yeah, it is factually inaccurate, unless they have somehow made the knives so it is impossible for them to penetrate flesh.

With bullets in a gun it is easy, they just bounce off real people, but those knives sure as hell don't look like bendy rubber to me.

olderskyblue

I think it is just that for the robots it is programmed and the humans are policed, but yeah, it is factually inaccurate, unless they have somehow made the knives so it is impossible for them to penetrate flesh.

With bullets in a gun it is easy, they just bounce off real people, but those knives sure as hell don't look like bendy rubber to me.

Seeing as it's set at a time in the future when they can make robots that can't be told apart from humans (in every way...) I don't think "bendy rubber" would be the answer... ;)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Me an 'er indoors love the Walking Dead. It's probably the only time we actually watch TV together!

Otis

Me an 'er indoors love the Walking Dead. It's probably the only time we actually watch TV together!
Another programme that has missed a trick again. TWD has done it twice and so too did GOT.

Now, after all these months, it really doesn't matter who Negan killed and I guess there are many like me who now can't give a rats' arse who got the bat.

They try and hold the suspense, but people just get bored with it and it all gets very diluted and greatly wanes.

Same with Jon Snow. After 3 months no-one cared whether he lived or not.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Another programme that has missed a trick again. TWD has done it twice and so too did GOT.

Now, after all these months, it really doesn't matter who Negan killed and I guess there are many like me who now can't give a rats' arse who got the bat.

They try and hold the suspense, but people just get bored with it and it all gets very diluted and greatly wanes.

Same with Jon Snow. After 3 months no-one cared whether he lived or not.
Yeah, but we still can't wait for the new series!

Otis

Yeah, but we still can't wait for the new series!
Nope, I can't.

Was crossing my fingers it wasn't Glen or Daryl, but now I am rather meh about it all.

Latest word is .......

And this is from a source who are very, very accurate usually, is that both Glen and Abraham get the baseball bat. And to add fuel to the flames, neither have been seen on set of the new series.

Users who are viewing this thread