Weight and working out (1 Viewer)

Marty

I am being serious, what would you recommend instead?

Sensible healthy eating.

something like Porridge with fresh fruit for breakfast, salad with lean meat for lunch then something like veg, brown rice, lean meat for dinner.

That'll only be about 1500 calories and keep you full all day, healthy, easy to maintain, nutritious, etc.

Up activity levels (if you need too), and you'll easily lose the weight within about the same time frame you put it on.

eastwoodsdustman

I’ve lost just over a stone and a half since lockdown by cycling more than I had been. Still eating pretty much the same except I’ve cut back a little on bread.
If you burn more calories than you consume then you’ll lose weight.
Put another way if your cakeholes bigger than your arsehole then your in trouble.

Kieranp96

I’ve lost just over a stone and a half since lockdown by cycling more than I had been. Still eating pretty much the same except I’ve cut back a little on bread.
If you burn more calories than you consume then you’ll lose weight.
Put another way if your cakeholes bigger than your arsehole then your in trouble.
My issue was calories from drinking weather that be beer or coke, it was a bad habit one I have broke this year.

eastwoodsdustman

I Still eat too much chocolate and crisps really as I hardly drink alcohol and haven’t for ages. I’m burning the calories more now and trying to be a little more sensible with my food but not too sensible.

fernandopartridge

Went from 14st 11lb to 12st 2lb a few years ago, over a period of 5 months, just cut out snacks in the week and exercised more, didn't feel as though I was really missing any food as I ate as I normally would at the weekend. Used to use a website where you entered what you ate and it added up the calories, and then you said how much exercise you did and it knocked those calories off. That helped with realising that having a chocolate biscuit really wasn't worth the exercise involved in burning it off.
I used Alan Higgs Centre, would recommend it, not really any posers in there, just normal people that are mainly doing their own thing, but will help you with knowing how to use the machines etc, I found the cross trainers worked best for me, low impact but got the calories burnt.
Heard lots of good things about this place too, haven't been myself though https://www.revolution-training.com/
I'm back up to nearly 14st again now, was hoping to do more exercise in lockdown, but have been too lazy, would like to get to 12st 6lb really. I'll start again tomorrow. Good luck to you.
I know a few people who go to the revolution and say it's good.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

I'm going to sack the beer for a bit, pretty clear correlation between me starting to drink during the week several years ago and weight gain.

Need to get out for exercise a bit more regularly, not sure if anybody else is the same in lockdown but it's taking hours to get my two year old to sleep, when he was at nursery it was a piece of piss.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

During lockdown got up to 14 and a half stone, lost a stone of that window cleaning and walking everywhere. Didn't feel that heavy but shocked at my weight gain. Stopped drinking and never touched a drop for 12 weeks, then sank about 10 cans in the Cov City celebrations in town.
Back off it again now though. I eat a mixture of healthy food and junk but like fruit and veg. When I fully stop window cleaning I hope I don't end up a fifteen stone couch potato, as I was losing motivation for awhile, but snapped out of it.

shmmeee

Some of the things on here are a bit insane. You don’t need to put yourself through eating broccoli for 5 days or going without water for 3 days to lose weight. It’s not a sudden overnight process. Making a commitment to a calorie deficit is sufficient, you want to eat about 200 calories lower than your maintenance at first

Calorie Calculator

That’s far too low. Most places suggest 500/day deficit. 200 a day and you’ll take years to lose anything.

What the smart arse comments like this and “move more eat less” miss is that for most of the people in this thread it’s a mental issue. All the diets and stuff are mostly psychological tricks for eating less.

I do no carbs, not because there’s some magical thing about ketosis or whatever but because at a stroke it removes sugary coffee, snacks, biscuits, etc from my diet. It’s impossible to snack because there are fuck all carb free snacks available anywhere.

“Just eat better” sounds great but when you’ve been battling your weight your whole life and have emotional issues tied up in there it’s less than useless as advice. It’s easier to stay on track with simple hard and fast rules like no carbs or IF or whatever. Quick early results also boost motivation which is the other big problem.

Of course fad diets aren’t sustainable, but they are good for motivation and providing a clean break from which to start from.

This sort of post is the equivalent to dropping into the “Are You Happy” thread with “just cheer up”.

Kieranp96

That’s far too low. Most places suggest 500/day deficit. 200 a day and you’ll take years to lose anything.

What the smart arse comments like this and “move more eat less” miss is that for most of the people in this thread it’s a mental issue. All the diets and stuff are mostly psychological tricks for eating less.

I do no carbs, not because there’s some magical thing about ketosis or whatever but because at a stroke it removes sugary coffee, snacks, biscuits, etc from my diet. It’s impossible to snack because there are fuck all carb free snacks available anywhere.

“Just eat better” sounds great but when you’ve been battling your weight your whole life and have emotional issues tied up in there it’s less than useless as advice. It’s easier to stay on track with simple hard and fast rules like no carbs or IF or whatever. Quick early results also boost motivation which is the other big problem.

Of course fad diets aren’t sustainable, but they are good for motivation and providing a clean break from which to start from.

This sort of post is the equivalent to dropping into the “Are You Happy” thread with “just cheer up”.
With your zero carbs is it just meat? Or have your found other foods to eat that are zero carbs, also might sound grim but when you cut out all your carbs did your ass like explode for a week and you couldn't trust a fart?

tom88

I have found this app (my weight) really helpful to keep me on track and it’s free. I do an official weigh in Every Monday morning after my first piss and every week bar 1 has been a decrease in weight. You can set it up in lbs or stones. I use Monday as my cheat day so it gives me a full week to burn it off before the next weigh in

Attachments

• 04F1EFE0-82C0-4BCD-AABF-08C834FAEA0B.png
    04F1EFE0-82C0-4BCD-AABF-08C834FAEA0B.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 0D9F2FCB-FEC9-4690-AC52-5F792DEAC076.png
    0D9F2FCB-FEC9-4690-AC52-5F792DEAC076.png
    672.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 95E5187E-75C0-4A0C-8275-966763FED161.png
    95E5187E-75C0-4A0C-8275-966763FED161.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 21

Ring Of Steel

[CHARGE=][/CHARGE]

Anyone here had there own weight loss story? Im currently in the process of my weight loss journey started 2020 at 170kg currently 139kg, about to diet and trying to find people who are or who have lost weight to talk and what not .

I'm down 5 stone since Jan 1st (knackered my leg & was working silly hours & eating crap later, ballooned, clothes stopped fitting and I'd had enough- was never really 'big' before), managing a 5k every other night now, its the best thing I ever did. Here's what I'd humbly recommend..

1. I'd be careful with keto & plans like that, you might well lose weight but you're also eating some really unhealthy stuff there. Eat nothing processed- just meat, fish, vegetables- basically anything that was once alive (I skipped this bit personally) or grew naturally. For snacks have bananas, fruit, nuts & also bread is good to fill you up a bit if you start to feel it in the afternoon. Stick to unprocessed and you can also eat really big portions- all the carbs you need are in the veg, sugar too from the fruit and it won't make you sluggish. And alcohol is a killer, avoid if possible.
2. You honestly don't need a gym- just a cheap mat for the floor, a good pair of trainers and a skipping rope- walking the kind of steps you are & with good diet the weight will literally drop off you after the first shitty couple of weeks. Maybe a gym further down the line but at this point you're looking to burn fat- working out helps a lot but your own bodyweight is more than enough resistance. And skipping burns more calories than swimming.
3. Never eat outside noon to 8pm or times that work for you- this really does work.
4. Get a free app like Cronometer which you can use to scan every label to show you where you are on calorie intake and what the breakdown of fat/ protein & carbs is. It will also plan your day for you in terms of foods.
5. Once you get more used to walking- try a gentle jog and just keep pushing yourself to the next step, it feels brilliant to feel the progress. It should never be easy, but you don't want to be gong too hard.
6. Get a mat- they cost a tenner if that- you can do a huge workout on your stomach & chest just with various crunches, pressups & situps, you'll find thousands of videos showing you. A kitchen chair will take care of your arms. You really don't need a gym if you don't want to go to one, worry about that when you want to tone up after losing weight.
5. Most importantly, cannot emphasise this enough- have discipline, its really, really shit at first but you soon get used to it- probably a fortnight- and after you start losing its more than enough motivation, you'll never look back. Also patience, do not get dejected if you don't feel like you're making progress, you're literally changing your body shape here, it will fight back at first and you will feel like crap- but that will pass. Sure the walking & things hurt but this is mostly a mental thing you're doing, stick at it and you will get to where you want to be.

Massive massive good luck to you

Marty

I'm down 5 stone since Jan 1st (knackered my leg & was working silly hours & eating crap later, ballooned, clothes stopped fitting and I'd had enough- was never really 'big' before), managing a 5k every other night now, its the best thing I ever did. Here's what I'd humbly recommend..

1. I'd be careful with keto & plans like that, you might well lose weight but you're also eating some really unhealthy stuff there. Eat nothing processed- just meat, fish, vegetables- basically anything that was once alive (I skipped this bit personally) or grew naturally. For snacks have bananas, fruit, nuts & also bread is good to fill you up a bit if you start to feel it in the afternoon. Stick to unprocessed and you can also eat really big portions- all the carbs you need are in the veg, sugar too from the fruit and it won't make you sluggish. And alcohol is a killer, avoid if possible.
2. You honestly don't need a gym- just a cheap mat for the floor, a good pair of trainers and a skipping rope- walking the kind of steps you are & with good diet the weight will literally drop off you after the first shitty couple of weeks. Maybe a gym further down the line but at this point you're looking to burn fat- working out helps a lot but your own bodyweight is more than enough resistance. And skipping burns more calories than swimming.
3. Never eat outside noon to 8pm or times that work for you- this really does work.
4. Get a free app like Cronometer which you can use to scan every label to show you where you are on calorie intake and what the breakdown of fat/ protein & carbs is. It will also plan your day for you in terms of foods.
5. Once you get more used to walking- try a gentle jog and just keep pushing yourself to the next step, it feels brilliant to feel the progress. It should never be easy, but you don't want to be gong too hard.
6. Get a mat- they cost a tenner if that- you can do a huge workout on your stomach & chest just with various crunches, pressups & situps, you'll find thousands of videos showing you. A kitchen chair will take care of your arms. You really don't need a gym if you don't want to go to one, worry about that when you want to tone up after losing weight.
5. Most importantly, cannot emphasise this enough- have discipline, its really, really shit at first but you soon get used to it- probably a fortnight- and after you start losing its more than enough motivation, you'll never look back. Also patience, do not get dejected if you don't feel like you're making progress, you're literally changing your body shape here, it will fight back at first and you will feel like crap- but that will pass. Sure the walking & things hurt but this is mostly a mental thing you're doing, stick at it and you will get to where you want to be.

Massive massive good luck to you

5 stone in 6 months is so impressive, congratulations, what was your starting weight if you don't mind me asking.

Ring Of Steel

5 stone in 6 months is so impressive, congratulations, what was your starting weight if you don't mind me asking.

No bother at all- just a tad under 18 stone, I was 12 stone 11 this morning. I don't really mind about the weight so much though, I wanted to have a decent BMI and body fat % (I got one of those fancy scales)- BMI of 24 and fat % of 17.4% now.

olderskyblue

I need to lose weight. Trouble is, both my hips are knackered, so exercise is a problem, I take steroids to try to ease the pain, and oh my, do I get hungry around 10pm ish. Apparently a side effect.... and I can smell the biscuit tin from 10m away. :emoji_grin:

I don’t eat much veg (never liked it), rarely drink, and other than the biscuits, eat fairly healthily (low veg intake aside)

oh, and little willpower

there’s no hope For me :eek:

only plus is I’m 6’ 1” so it doesn’t show much (apart from the big belly, man boobs and the extra chins) :emoji_sweat_smile:

Brighton Sky Blue

Is there anything people particularly recommend for home exercise equipment? Looking at getting a bike in here but no idea which ones are reliable.

Ring Of Steel

Is there anything people particularly recommend for home exercise equipment? Looking at getting a bike in here but no idea which ones are reliable.

It depends what your budget is.

Do you mean indoor exercise bike or 'real' bike? If you have the budget then the absolute best way is a 'real' bike and turbo trainer, they are the business... they can also be ridiculously expensive though. If you're going for an indoor machine then I'd probably go for a rower over a bike, you'll get the same sweat on but also get tone on way more areas of the body- cheaper too.

Number one would always be weights or kettle bells- when you use weights you'll burn way more calories even when you're sitting on your backside doing nothing, any other exercise you do will get more impact if you're doing some weights as well, even just a small bit. Number two would be a mat- you can do thousands of things on there- crunches, planks, pressups, squats, pretty much a really vigorous total workout, and number three as I mentioned up above would be a skipping rope, clocking in at maybe a fiver. You would be amazed at the difference one of those can make, 20 mins skipping is basically much better than a walk or swimming, as good as a fast jog.

There's no such thing as one piece of equipment that will sort everything out, I would always say its better to get the basics and devise a routine that suits you- instead of sitting on a bike/ rower which will do you good but limit the benefits to certain areas, a couple of weights & a mat opens up a whole world of different things you can do. Harder & takes more discipline, but as with most things unfortunately the harder it is the more good its probably doing you.

Brighton Sky Blue

It depends what your budget is.

Do you mean indoor exercise bike or 'real' bike? If you have the budget then the absolute best way is a 'real' bike and turbo trainer, they are the business... they can also be ridiculously expensive though. If you're going for an indoor machine then I'd probably go for a rower over a bike, you'll get the same sweat on but also get tone on way more areas of the body- cheaper too.

Number one would always be weights or kettle bells- when you use weights you'll burn way more calories even when you're sitting on your backside doing nothing, any other exercise you do will get more impact if you're doing some weights as well, even just a small bit. Number two would be a mat- you can do thousands of things on there- crunches, planks, pressups, squats, pretty much a really vigorous total workout, and number three as I mentioned up above would be a skipping rope, clocking in at maybe a fiver. You would be amazed at the difference one of those can make, 20 mins skipping is basically much better than a walk or swimming, as good as a fast jog.

As we are fitness amateurs probably nothing high end at this point but the advice on cheaper equipment is very useful. We’d looked more at indoor bikes just because of space but the stuff on rowing machines makes sense. Any idea what a reliable brand is?

Ring Of Steel

As we are fitness amateurs probably nothing high end at this point but the advice on cheaper equipment is very useful. We’d looked more at indoor bikes just because of space but the stuff on rowing machines makes sense. Any idea what a reliable brand is?

Concept are the probably best, they're the ones you'll actually see in gyms- but can be wildly expensive. One of the more basic ones by them on Amazon would be about £500- the best bet there is to look at ebay and pick up one of those (there are some ridiculous bargains on there), or if you want new then maybe something like below... if its for indoors then make sure its quiet, the more expensive ones are designed for gyms and can make a hell of a din- plus you can fold this up for space, the better ones don't and would take up a lot of space.

[URL="https://www.jllfitness.co.uk/r200-rowing-machine.html"]JLL R200 Rowing Machine[/URL]

RedSalmon

Have found the best piece of equipment is a Concept 2 Ergo Rowing machine. If you google it you will see what I mean. You can download all the training programmes from their site. If you use it correctly and get the technique right (not difficult) it will exercise just about every muscle in your body, plus give you an excellent CV workout. Good for loosing weight and keeping it off. Downside is that it takes up a bit of space.............and it will only work if you use it. Don't go buying a new one, there are usually plenty on E Bay.

Also, if you have the space, is get a bike and put it on a turbo trainer. You can cycle as long as you like and it really works. I do it watching TV and you can quickly loose half an hour on it. Again look on E Bay, there are usually plenty on there you can pick up cheaply.

Brighton Sky Blue

Have found the best piece of equipment is a Concept 2 Ergo Rowing machine. If you google it you will see what I mean. You can download all the training programmes from their site. If you use it correctly and get the technique right (not difficult) it will exercise just about every muscle in your body, plus give you an excellent CV workout. Good for loosing weight and keeping it off. Downside is that it takes up a bit of space.............and it will only work if you use it. Don't go buying a new one, there are usually plenty on E Bay.

Also, if you have the space, is get a bike and put it on a turbo trainer. You can cycle as long as you like and it really works. I do it watching TV and you can quickly loose half an hour on it. Again look on E Bay, there are usually plenty on there you can pick up cheaply.

Good advice, space is an issue but will check these out.

RedSalmon

Also, remember to change things around and avoid doing the same thing all the time. If you don't alter what you do it gets boring, when that happens it becomes a drag and the next step is you just can't be arsed.

As RoS said kettle bells are great and don't take up too much space. These days there are so many good exercise programmes you can look up on google/you tube that allowsyou to add a bit of variety.

Remember to eat properly before you exercise, and to be honest everyone has their own way of working out what suits them on this one. I always have a Dextro Energy tablet just before I start exercising. Was finding that I was running out of steam about half way through a work out and really struggled to see it through. When I take one of these the work out is still an effort (and it should be) but I don't feel like packing it in half way through. It might just be psychological but it seems to work for me.

Brighton Sky Blue

Also, remember to change things around and avoid doing the same thing all the time. If you don't alter what you do it gets boring, when that happens it becomes a drag and the next step is you just can't be arsed.

As RoS said kettle bells are great and don't take up too much space. These days there are so many good exercise programmes you can look up on google/you tube that allowsyou to add a bit of variety.

Remember to eat properly before you exercise, and to be honest everyone has their own way of working out what suits them on this one. I always have a Dextro Energy tablet just before I start exercising. Was finding that I was running out of steam about half way through a work out and really struggled to see it through. When I take one of these the work out is still an effort (and it should be) but I don't feel like packing it in half way through. It might just be psychological but it seems to work for me.

On the balance of things, and as a rookie with this type of stuff I’ve gone with a mat and some bells for now and will see how I get on with those before paying for more expensive stuff that I might not use. Great recommendations though, thanks again.

RedSalmon

On the balance of things, and as a rookie with this type of stuff I’ve gone with a mat and some bells for now and will see how I get on with those before paying for more expensive stuff that I might not use. Great recommendations though, thanks again.

Agree, best to see how it fits in to your life before getting loads of equipment. Good luck.

RedSalmon

One last bit of advice, keep a diary of what you do and when and how you felt during and afterwards. It can be rewarding to look back and see how you have progressed. Also it gives you an idea of what you need as a recovery period between sessions.

win9nut

Cheers for this Hill.

I've been looking for something similar and I've just placed my 1st order

I'm at 103kg, down from 112kg

I was doing Man v Fat Football every week and making good progress until Covid...
MANvFAT Football

I'm based in Milton Keynes, so am in that League, but there is one in Cov and one in Hinckley... If you like playing football, it is a good workout!

It don't matter how good or bad you are...

Ring Of Steel

Cheers for this Hill.

I've been looking for something similar and I've just placed my 1st order

I'm at 103kg, down from 112kg

I was doing Man v Fat Football every week and making good progress until Covid...
MANvFAT Football

I'm based in Milton Keynes, so am in that League, but there is one in Cov and one in Hinckley... If you like playing football, it is a good workout!

It don't matter how good or bad you are...

Playing a sport is the ultimate- you aren't focusing on how much road is left or how many steps you're doing while getting bored, you lose yourself in the match.

win9nut

Playing a sport is the ultimate- you aren't focusing on how much road is left or how many steps you're doing while getting bored, you lose yourself in the match.
Rolling subs too if you get too knackered!

I usually ended up focusing on the game, and running my arse off for the first 10 minutes, then really knackered for the rest of the match so was the one asking to sub all the time!

Also most of the people I work with are Egg-Ball chasers, so I got to spend time with football fans (albeit being MK based glory supporters)

Brighton Sky Blue

Rolling subs too if you get too knackered!

I usually ended up focusing on the game, and running my arse off for the first 10 minutes, then really knackered for the rest of the match so was the one asking to sub all the time!

Also most of the people I work with are Egg-Ball chasers, so I got to spend time with football fans (albeit being MK based glory supporters)

Always wanted to try Man v Fat but weekdays really don't help. Would've been great to have had a summer league on in different circumstances!

clint van damme

Due to a combination of hay fever induced asthma and a couple of niggling injuries hardly done any cardio for a few weeks and have banged on a stone.
All of which knocks your confidence as much as anything else.

Motivated by the posts on this thread just did a gentle 3 miles and all good so hopefully back on it now and get my fitness up and weight down.
Keep up the inspirational tales!

Brighton Sky Blue

Due to a combination of hay fever induced asthma and a couple of niggling injuries hardly done any cardio for a few weeks and have banged on a stone.
All of which knocks your confidence as much as anything else.

Motivated by the posts on this thread just did a gentle 3 miles and all good so hopefully back on it now and get my fitness up and weight down.
Keep up the inspirational tales!

Told the missus we got some weights and mats on the way. First question 'how will that help my legs', you can tell we're new to this.

olderskyblue

One last bit of advice, keep a diary of what you do and when and how you felt during and afterwards. It can be rewarding to look back and see how you have progressed. Also it gives you an idea of what you need as a recovery period between sessions.

It shows where my I am in all this. I read that as "dairy"..... just checking fridge for cheese..

Users who are viewing this thread