Match Thread Watford FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 9th Mar (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Lots of criticism of the 352 system today, and we’ve never looked that comfortable with it. But if we can engineer a strike partnership between Wright and Simms that hits its stride before the end of the season then I have to think that gives us the most attacking threat, as opposed to the 433 with a makeshift RW and a lone striker who’s mostly an afterthought.
If that's enough to overcome how shaky we look at the back and how sloppy we've been in possession then sure

SBT

If that's enough to overcome how shaky we look at the back and how sloppy we've been in possession then sure
Sheaf coming back into the side will surely help with the latter. As for the defensive issues, I’m honestly starting to wonder whether we will regret letting Fadz go…. (Yes, I know he was sent off today)

harvey098

I said on a thread the other day that weve been spoiled by success.. this thread is conclusive proof. What the fuck is wrong with everyone!! We’ve just won away from home to go a point off the play offs. Why are you even looking for any negatives - it’s incredible and I’ll be celebrating tonight. What a season, what a team!!

Brighton Sky Blue

Sheaf coming back into the side will surely help with the latter. As for the defensive issues, I’m honestly starting to wonder whether we will regret letting Fadz go…. (Yes, I know he was sent off today)
We were struggling defensively in the same formation with him in the side to be fair. His red card was down to being caught for pace which he was struggling with when he was here too.

Maybe a Sheaf/Torp midfield can do a better job but we're otherwise back to asking 3 players to do most of the attacking work.

Last edited:

larry_david

Anybody else spot the race between O'Hare and their defender ? He was massively outpaced I really hope he stays and will wish him well if he goes but I think his lack of pace will be a big challenge in the prem
Don't think he's ever really been quickly. The amount of times he's been played into space and the defenders get there first

SBT

We were struggling defensively in the same formation with him in the side to be fair. Maybe a Sheaf/Torp midfield can do a better job but we're otherwise back to asking 3 players to do most of the attacking work.
Whereas the 433 relies on four players, two of which are Simms as a lone striker (meh) and [insert name here] as a RW. Never thought I’d say it but if Wright and Simms can click then I think the 352 will work.

Brighton Sky Blue

Whereas the 433 relies on four players, two of which are Simms as a lone striker (meh) and [insert name here] as a RW. Never thought I’d say it but if Wright and Simms can click then I think the 352 will work.
Like last season it's very much a one trick pony of a formation but unlike last season we're conceding really poor goals most games.

Johnnythespider

PNE lost, Hull drew. Pretty good outcome for us today. Norwich put 5 past Rotherham but we know exactly how bad they are so this was factored in I think. We're now 1 point behind Norwich and Hull with better GD and 9 games to go. Even if PNE win the game in hand they're behind us.
HUD AWAY W; CAR HOME W; LEE HOME D; SOU AWAY L; BIR AWAY W; IPS HOME - D; HUL HOME - D; BLA AWAY - W; QPR HOME - W = 73 points... 6th spot. Southhampton in playoffs 2 legs. WBA in the final at Wembley.
I might be wrong but I think that's 75 points and I think we'll need every one of them

Levship20

He needs to stick to his assets
Quick feet and gives and go
He’s been poor last 2-4 games
That is nothing new, O’hare is hugely talented but seriously lacks pace. Being saying it for a long time, that if a prem club comes in for him, his speed will be exposed against some of the elite.

MikeyMoo

I might be wrong but I think that's 75 points and I think we'll need every one of them
You are not wrong, I realise this was based on a predicted draw vs. WAT AWAY!

HUD AWAY W; CAR HOME W; LEE HOME D; SOU AWAY L; BIR AWAY W; IPS HOME - D; HUL HOME - D; BLA AWAY - W; QPR HOME - W = 75 points... 6th spot. Southhampton in playoffs 2 legs. WBA in the final at Wembley.

Now we could also lose two of the D vs LEE/IPS/HUL or have CAR HOME D instead of W, 73 points. However, if you think 75 needed even with better GD...

SBbucks

2 or more goals for a player-14 or 15 times this season. anyone know of a site that has an easy read summary of games and scorers on one page?

Great stat - I read that this was the highest anywhere in the top 40 leagues in Europe.
We’ve also scored more goals this calendar year than anyone else in the 92 (I believe now one ahead of Liverpool).
Apologies if this is old news, I just got home from the game and I’m not reading the whole thread to check!

Users who are viewing this thread