Wasps in talks to takeover Ricoh (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

How did he "blow me out of the water" if it happens fair enough if it doesn't well I think he may be taking a cold shower - don't you?

All he has said is that talks are taking place.

You called him a poodle.

He has categorically confirmed they are taking place.

That's all he can say because that is all that is happening. A multitude of things can happen between now and then as you well know.

One I hope that happens is SISU take the place of wasps or do a joint deal with them.

Last edited:

ccfc92

Yep....all the more galling when the Football/Rugby clubs at the wrong end of the M69 have assumed the position of the Cov teams in the 70'S.....

TBF Leicester as a city is growing in many ways :( Football club, Rugby, University, Prosperity etc.... :(

Ian1779

Bear in mind that the club returned to the Ricoh within the last month, after over a month of negotiations.

The club may well be initially suggesting that it is not a deal forever, but given the bad blood previously between the parties - it's not really that odd that a short-term deal was initially signed. Trust needs to be built up on both sides in order to get to a position where a long term deal (perhaps involving ACL being bought out by SISU) happens.

Given the fact that plenty of people were hugely vociferous about SISU's actions (and rightly so) I find it galling that we are seeing soundbites from Bob Ainsworth and even worse a comment from the CET which are ultimately supportive in the move.... no matter how it is attempted to be spun. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Quite frankly the fact that people are defending ACL in this is disturbing. If you rank the financial perfomance of ACL above that of the long term future of CCFC then you need to have a serious think about your priorities.

martcov

In answer to ccfc4life. Have we finally returned? Last I Heard, the New Stadium was definatelx going ahead. Site to be announced soon.

Astute

All he has said is that talks are taking place.

You called him a poodle.

He has categorically confirmed they are taking place.

That's all he can say because that is all that is happening. A multitude of things can happen between now and then as you well know.

One I hope that happens is SISU take the place of wasps or do a joint deal with them.

Sounds like a good idea. Let them all get stoned and talk peacefully for once.

martcov

The question is more about CCFC's stance, that they are definitely building a new stadium. Not interested in ACL particularly. CCFC have said they are going. Ok. I am against it, but so long as that is the final word, you can't blame ACL. I hope it is a bluff ( like the stadium ). They, CCFC, should stop messing around and put the money on the table. Higgs want out and were originally prepared to do a deal with CCFC. Wasps is just talk now. Buy the Higgs share and Wasps, or whoever else, will have to deal with CCFC as we'll as CCC.

dongonzalos

Bear in mind that the club returned to the Ricoh within the last month, after over a month of negotiations.

The club may well be initially suggesting that it is not a deal forever, but given the bad blood previously between the parties - it's not really that odd that a short-term deal was initially signed. Trust needs to be built up on both sides in order to get to a position where a long term deal (perhaps involving ACL being bought out by SISU) happens.

Given the fact that plenty of people were hugely vociferous about SISU's actions (and rightly so) I find it galling that we are seeing soundbites from Bob Ainsworth and even worse a comment from the CET which are ultimately supportive in the move.... no matter how it is attempted to be spun. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Quite frankly the fact that people are defending ACL in this is disturbing. If you rank the financial perfomance of ACL above that of the long term future of CCFC then you need to have a serious think about your priorities.

Sorry Nick but due to the tone of this email I have to bring it up again.

A children's charity getting its money back, where does that sit on the serious thinking about priorities ladder?

NorthernWisdom

but so long as that is the final word, you can't blame ACL.

Well you can, because it stamps all over the heritage and tradition of the COVENTRY Rugby club.

What it shows is there's no place for anything but financial gain on all sides, what it reveals is this has been and looks, unfortunately, like it always will be a financial dispute.

And if that's the case, and we accept it's a financial dispute, may as well just let em all get on with it and stamp on all tradition. We may as well let London Wasps in the Ricoh, and Coventry City play in Coleshill.

Astute

Defending ACL?

Pushing it a bit again I see. Do you really think that looking at the truth and working out which way things look to be going is defending ACL? Has Fisher not said yet again that they are building a stadium? Have they only negotiated a two year deal with a possible two more so they can move once the stadium is built? Are ACL supposed to not look for a new tenant or have talks with anyone else until the stadium is empty? Are we not supposed to say anything that could be bad for our club without being accused of defending ACL whilst you can make comments as so without expecting to be defending SISU as it all boils down to the same?

Nobody is defending anyone that I have seen. Nobody wants this Wasps thing that I have seen. Any comments like this are just chatting shite.

Rusty Trombone

Well you can, because it stamps all over the heritage and tradition of the COVENTRY Rugby club.

What it shows is there's no place for anything but financial gain on all sides, what it reveals is this has been and looks, unfortunately, like it always will be a financial dispute.

And if that's the case, and we accept it's a financial dispute, may as well just let em all get on with it and stamp on all tradition. We may as well let London Wasps in the Ricoh, and Coventry City play in Coleshill.

They will be building houses on Coundon Road before you know it.

Astute

So ACL are supposed to put CRC first when SISU don't put CCFC first?

Otis

I don't think people are defending ACL. They are merely saying if Sisu are determined to leave whatever, then they haven't got much choice other than to find a another club to house.

Reading the whole thread, that's what's clearly coming across to me. I don't support ACL, but can understand that if Sisu mean to leave, they have to look at other options

At the end of the day we all surely want CCFC to remain at the Ricoh if at all possible don't we?

Last edited:

Ian1779

Sorry Nick but due to the tone of this email I have to bring it up again.

A children's charity getting its money back, where does that sit on the serious thinking about priorities ladder?

If the children's charity was so concerned about their money.... you have to wonder why they invested in the first place knowing full well they could have lost the lot....

Rusty Trombone

If the children's charity was so concerned about their money.... you have to wonder why they invested in the first place knowing full well they could have lost the lot....

Fortunately some people, well a person, is willing to offer millions to the charity as a donation.

Otis

Best move in everybody we can while we're at it, abandon all ethical and cultural positions and condone the commodification of sport, thus condoning SISU while we're at it...

I hate bananas, therefore I love raspberries.

How many ethical businesses are there these days? Not many that's for sure. Sad times. :(

dongonzalos

So where does it sit on your priorities
TF is telling the truth SISU are building a stadium in let's say Hinckley.
Wasps will do fair business with ACL and buy half their share.
A children's charity get their money back which is spent on deprived children.

Not sure you should be telling others to have a hard think about their priorities unless your need for CCFC to be within the Coventry boundary is more than the need of a deprived kid.

Astute

If you remember it all started by Higgs loaning CCFC money to keep us afloat. Alan Higgs was a big CCFC supporter. He didn't want our club to be in financial trouble. There was then a deal where Higgs paid more money....6.5m in total which would be paid back to get the lease back which was to keep our club going for longer. And as we know this hasn't happened although SISU could have done. It isn't as though they did it to make money or to take the lease away for good.

tuousis

[
QUOTE=Rusty Trombone;777805]They will be building houses on Coundon Road before you know it.[/QUOTE]How could they build houses on Coundon Road.

Ian1779

I don't think people are defending ACL. They are merely saying if Sisu are determined to leave whatever, then they haven't got much choice other than to find a another club to house.

Reading the whole thread, that's what's clearly coming across to me. I don't support ACL, but can understand that if Sisu mean to leave, they have to look at other options

At the end of the day we all surely want CCFC to remain at the Ricoh if at all possible don't we?

SISU were never going to return to Ricoh on a rental deal.
The language changed from build to own a stadium.
Now the club are back - initially on a 2 year deal....

There has been a shift in the approach - The comments suggest a change whilst trying to publicly save as much face as possible.

Surely the logical step for everyone would ultimately be for CCFC to secure long term partnership and maybe even ownership of the Ricoh.

ACL remember were the company that rebuffed SISU's attempt to distress them, and we've been repeatedly told that they can survive as a long term business without the club (whether you believe that or not).So why sell to Wasps? They are now potentially going to do the same thing as Northampton did.. who they tried to sue. The actions of CCFC were derided by them.

I'm sorry if i'm not fawning at the idea of ACL making sure that they are OK. They have claimed to 'have the best interests of the club at heart'. The whole things smacks of double standards and hypocrisy.

Bear in mind that ACL would not exist to this day if it were not for CCFC.

Otis

Not sure you should be telling others to have a hard think about their priorities unless your need for CCFC to be within the Coventry boundary is more than the need of a deprived kid.

For me, I just don't get all this outrage. It's like some posters on here don't seem to be listening to a single word people are saying, just see the letters ACL and believe people are supporting them or defending them.

All people are saying (for the eleventy billioneth time) is that if Sisu are determined to leave, what else can ACL do besides look for another tenant?

Seriously, has anyone actually answered that question? Sisu leave the Ricoh, leaving it vacant. What do ACL do with the stadium? Just let it rot? Let Coventry United play in it, what?

NorthernWisdom

For me, I just don't get all this outrage. It's like some posters on here don't seem to be listening to a single word people are saying, just see the letters ACL and believe people are supporting them or defending them.

All people are saying (for the eleventy billioneth time) is that if Sisu are determined to leave, what else can ACL do besides look for another tenant. Has anyone actually answered that question? Sisu leave the Ricoh, leaving it vacant. What do ACL do with the stadium? Just let it rot? Let Coventry United play in it, what?

They could always offer it to Cov Rugby club...

Or turn it into affordable housing.

Or turn it into a speedway track.

Or a centre for kabbadi excellence.

Otis

SISU were never going to return to Ricoh on a rental deal.
The language changed from build to own a stadium.
Now the club are back - initially on a 2 year deal....

There has been a shift in the approach - The comments suggest a change whilst trying to publicly save as much face as possible.

Surely the logical step for everyone would ultimately be for CCFC to secure long term partnership and maybe even ownership of the Ricoh.

ACL remember were the company that rebuffed SISU's attempt to distress them, and we've been repeatedly told that they can survive as a long term business without the club (whether you believe that or not).So why sell to Wasps? They are now potentially going to do the same thing as Northampton did.. who they tried to sue. The actions of CCFC were derided by them.

I'm sorry if i'm not fawning at the idea of ACL making sure that they are OK. They have claimed to 'have the best interests of the club at heart'. The whole things smacks of double standards and hypocrisy.

Bear in mind that ACL would not exist to this day if it were not for CCFC.

Totaally agree with the highlighted of course. Common sense.

Ian1779

If you want to go down that line then perhaps it's worth thinking about where all the profits from ACL have gone over the last 9 years?

Surely a deprived kid is more deserving of that money than paying down a mortgage we were told they could manage sufficiently.

Grendel

So wasps are buying the Higgs share for £6 million are they ?

Where is that from Simon or Alan?

Do you thing a children's charity. (Your view if Higgs not mine) should buy into football at all ? Is buying a pub helping a deprived kid?

Ian1779

All people are saying (for the eleventy billioneth time) is that if Sisu are determined to leave, what else can ACL do besides look for another tenant?

Seriously, has anyone actually answered that question? Sisu leave the Ricoh, leaving it vacant. What do ACL do with the stadium? Just let it rot? Let Coventry United play in it, what?

They're not going to leave are they.... unless of course they are kicked out by their new landlords.

Otis

They could always offer it to Cov Rugby club...

Or turn it into affordable housing.

Or turn it into a speedway track.

Or a centre for kabbadi excellence.

Surely far too big for Cov rugby. Housing? Yep, right. Speedway? Again, surely far too big. Has any other speedway club in the country got a stadium as big as that? Last one ..... I'm not interested in Indian cooking to be honest, though I am partial to the odd onion pakora.

Astute

If you want to go down that line then perhaps it's worth thinking about where all the profits from ACL have gone over the last 9 years?

Surely a deprived kid is more deserving of that money than paying down a mortgage we were told they could manage sufficiently.

Higgs are not short of money. This doesn't mean that they shouldn't get money back. Why should a hedge fund gain from a charity?

Otis

They're not going to leave are they.... unless of course they are kicked out by their new landlords.

So why the bloody hell do they keep saying they are? It's all well and good us fans not believing they are leaving, but then why do they keep going on about leaving and keep saying they are building their own stadium?

If it is indeed a nonsense then they are justlooking like complete and utter fools and consistently so too.

Grendel

So why the bloody hell do they keep saying they are? It's all well and good us fans not believing they are leaving, but then why do they keep going on about leaving and keep saying they are building their own stadium?

If it is indeed a nonsense then they are justlooking like complete and utter fools and consistently so too.

They haven't said they are for some time.

NorthernWisdom

Surely far too big for Cov rugby. Housing? Yep, right. Speedway? Again, surely far too big. Has any other speedway club in the country got a stadium as big as that? Last one ..... I'm not interested in Indian cooking to be honest, though I am partial to the odd onion pakora.

Can reduce the size of it to an approproate level if needs be...

Ian1779

Higgs are not short of money. This doesn't mean that they shouldn't get money back. Why should a hedge fund gain from a charity?

Where did I say they should? Of course they should have their money back.

My point was referring to the fact that Higgs have not taken profit from the ACL venture. So are they really a children's charity (in the context of this deal only) if they are not utilising the money from it to support children. It doesn't mean that they aren't doing that work elsewhere... but the children's charity comment in this area doesn't hold up.

Users who are viewing this thread