Wasps in talks to takeover Ricoh (3 Viewers)

Grendel

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
When is the takeover likely to happen?

I couldn't tell you that, or indeed if it ever will be. But I can tell you talks are happening, as reported.

We could have waited until the deal had been completed and people would talk on the record. We probably could have even negotiated the exclusive.

But we felt the public interest was so great that supporters and the taxpayers of Coventry should be informed before it was "too late" so to speak.

If you feel that was the wrong way to handle this development, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

All I can say is that this is a thoroughly researched story and we will keep on top of it as much as we can despite some pretty water tight confidentiality agreements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

Why are you taking this off topic - what is your motive?

I suppose hypothetically if I was looking to sell and only had one likely party interested I would pick up the phone to my pet poodle and ask them to publish a story saying another franchise was interested.

Not that I am suggesting for one moment this is happening here.

This is clearly a real story as will be proved when wasps buy a controlling interest in ACL.

You were the one that started talking about SP going to Huddersfield and that was your post that I was replying to.

So I'll throw your question back at you. Why are you taking this off topic?

Grendel

You were the one that started talking about SP going to Huddersfield and that was your post that I was replying to.

So I'll throw your question back at you. Why are you taking this off topic?

I'm not as Simon acknowledges. You just can't see it.

Grendel

All I can say is that this is a thoroughly researched story and we will keep on top of it as much as we can despite some pretty water tight confidentiality agreements.

A lot more researched that the Pressley of to Huddersfield story then.

dongonzalos

A lot more researched that the Pressley of to Huddersfield story then.

Pretty sure they just reported that he was clear favourite.

It's the bookies who made him clear favourite.

Unless I am wrong and there is a CET article I missed saying he had signed for them?

Grendel

Pretty sure they just reported that he was clear favourite.

It's the bookies who made him clear favourite.

Unless I am wrong and there is a CET article I missed saying he had signed for them?

No they didn't just say that

dongonzalos

So anyway wasps talking over the Ricoh.......

I just hope its not too late and this is the one thing that speeds up the only feasible solution to this whole mess.

SISU negotiate in good faith (this time) for a part or all of ACL and at a proper price

hill83

I couldn't tell you that, or indeed if it ever will be. But I can tell you talks are happening, as reported.

We could have waited until the deal had been completed and people would talk on the record. We probably could have even negotiated the exclusive.

But we felt the public interest was so great that supporters and the taxpayers of Coventry should be informed before it was "too late" so to speak.

If you feel that was the wrong way to handle this development, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

tumblr_inline_n068dmPwJe1rx7bhw.gif

Grendel

Nick

Administrator

Honest question, wasn't it reported in a lot of other places before the CET? Was a thread on GMK wondering why it wasn't reported on the CET but was in other places?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=6&thread_id=38596+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

dongonzalos

You clearly missed the article that made him favourite.

The CET managed to sway all the main bookies across the country and Internet?

Huddersfield were interested, we as usual were to the outside footballing world look like a club in real financial peril, the bookies played the safe bet. Turned out SP has more principles than most in the footballing world.

Grendel

So what is your view on this then?

Your paper adopted a very strong stance that franchised sport is wrong. Wasps fans don't want it so will you continue this stance and oppose it in the CET?

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Honest question, wasn't it reported in a lot of other places before the CET? Was a thread on GMK wondering why it wasn't reported on the CET but was in other places?

The fact they were possibly looking to relocate there was reported elsewhere. The deal for an effective takeover of the venue / majority shareholding in ACL had not been picked up by anyone else.

Nick

Administrator

Huddersfield were interested, we as usual were to the outside footballing world look like a club in real financial peril, the bookies played the safe bet. Turned out SP has more principles than most in the footballing world.

Did SP reject them?

Otis

I dont seem to recall it being a laughing matter, I remember people looking at neighboring teams such as the Saints and the Tigers and ruling them out as possible tenants/owners of the Ricoh as they already have sufficient stadia.

No one could foresee any other clubs moving to the Ricoh, as people laughed at the notion of moving a club miles away from its home to the Ricoh, like a franchise, as this was exactly what had happened to us and people found it abhorrent. It now seems quite ironic really.

It was a laughing matter to some I can assure you. A thing of great amusement.

ACL had absolutely zero chance of anyone coming in to the Ricoh if the Sky Blues left, according to some on here.

dongonzalos

So what is your view on this then?

Your paper adopted a very strong stance that franchised sport is wrong. Wasps fans don't want it so will you continue this stance and oppose it in the CET?

I can't find wasps fans opinions on it been genuinely looking. Where have you found it?

Last edited:

skybluetony176

That's the power you have as a newspaper when your tea boy has more twitter followers than a world renowned award winning journalists.

dongonzalos

Did SP reject them?

In the media he did before they got a replacement (the very paper that somehow made him bookies favourite). ;)

Pressley told the Telegraph last week: "It's obviously flattering to be connected with such a job but I am truly happy at this football club.

"I've begun what I believe is a long journey developing the club and bringing through our young players, putting some pride back into the football club.

"I'm only scratching the surface in doing that so there's a lot of work to be done over the coming years and I certainly hope I'll be here to see that through."

Nick

Administrator
In the media he did before they got a replacement (the very paper that somehow made him bookies favourite). ;)

Pressley told the Telegraph last week: "It's obviously flattering to be connected with such a job but I am truly happy at this football club.

"I've begun what I believe is a long journey developing the club and bringing through our young players, putting some pride back into the football club.

"I'm only scratching the surface in doing that so there's a lot of work to be done over the coming years and I certainly hope I'll be here to see that through."

Oh, I thought you meant they had offered him the job and he turned it down. Not just a generic comment in reply to a question about him being linked in the media.

dongonzalos

Oh, I thought you meant they had offered him the job and he turned it down. Not just a generic comment in reply to a question about him being linked in the media.

No like the CET never reported anymore than he was the bookies favourite.

Then they reported SP saying he wasn't interested.

Can't see anywhere they didn't report anything that was not true or researched

Can you?

Last edited:

skybluetony176

It was a laughing matter to some I can assure you. A thing of great amusement.

ACL had absolutely zero chance of anyone coming in to the Ricoh if the Sky Blues left, according to some on here.

There probably wasn't until TF kept repeatedly advertising to the press that CCFC aren't interested as they've moved on. So someone else thought, in that case let's see if we can move in.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Whats this?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=6&thread_id=38596+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Or had they just not seen it? That post is 9am, your article is the afternoon.

That link doesn't work...

If it's to the thread on GMK, I did see it after we'd published, but the only media stories linked talked of a possible relocation - not control.

Neither did the articles categorically state that talks were ongoing as far as I can tell.

Limey

If it's to the thread on GMK, I did see it after we'd published, but the only media stories linked talked of a possible relocation - not control.

Neither did the articles categorically state that talks were ongoing as far as I can tell.

The question is, what next? Getting a response from Joy would be very interesting. I think off the back of this story its time for Fisher to leave.

Grendel

Don is wumming just ignore him - everyone else does (well other than tony)

MichaelCCFC

Any chance we can get this thread back on track?

When I was a kid in the early 70s Cov rfc was the best side in the country and CCFC after the Sky Blues revolution of the 60s was in the top flight, made it into Europe etc. The City had the most skilled engineering workforce in the world. Look at us now. What has happened to civic pride, pride in being a Coventrian and a city of ambition and a 'can do' attitude?

Is anyone going to fight this or are ppl just going to continue their personal bickering on here?

Nick

Administrator

Ah it was the GMK link, but of a co-incidence on the same morning? I haven't read the other stories to be fair.

Otis

I guess this now all could hinge on what part CCFC play in all this. If Sisu are to play no part in any buyout, will ACL/CCC have a caveat in place that stipulates the football club have to have a tenure at the Ricoh for many decades to come?

CCFC have to be part of this whole shebang to my mind, otherwise I feel it could all really kick off big time and there will be real anger from all and sundry. The Ricoh was built for the citizens of Coventry and for CCFC and many of the citizens of Coventry are fans of the football club. That club is Coventry City FC. Coventry City belongs to Coventry and the people of Coventry.

I can't think of anything crazier than CCFC being kicked out of the Ricoh and a London rugny club coming into our Arena and taking their place.

Common sense must prevail. Either the club take at least part ownership of the Ricoh, or if it is to be Wasps coming in, then CCFC have to be part of the new set up. They simply have to be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread