Wasps downward spiral... (6 Viewers)

chiefdave

Have they managed to sort out the TV rights yet?

Was reading about C4 getting the current test series and it seems that the initial asking price was £20m, Sky and BT said no and C4 eventually got them at the last minute, when there was a concern there would be no coverage at all, for £2m.

One quote lept out at me "the sports rights market has collapsed", basically saying that if it isn't football the ROI isn't there for Sky and BT as other sports struggle to drive subscriptions. Cricket being in a much stronger position than rugby as it fills hours and is played over the summer when there's little else to retain subscribers.

Turns out that there's a sizeable chunk of things shown on Sky and BT for which they aren't even paying a rights fee. The market is so poor for sports rights that an international feed is produced and supplied free of charge in the hope that it will increase exposure and sponsorship revenue.

Would suggest its not a good time to be looking for a new deal, especially when you're looking for it to be much larger than your current deal. The viewing figures on BT are terrible for live Premiership rugby and the RFU pissed off the BBC when they promised them live games during the pandemic and then pulled out at the last minute.

Kneeza

Have they managed to sort out the TV rights yet?

Was reading about C4 getting the current test series and it seems that the initial asking price was £20m, Sky and BT said no and C4 eventually got them at the last minute, when there was a concern there would be no coverage at all, for £2m.

One quote lept out at me "the sports rights market has collapsed", basically saying that if it isn't football the ROI isn't there for Sky and BT as other sports struggle to drive subscriptions. Cricket being in a much stronger position than rugby as it fills hours and is played over the summer when there's little else to retain subscribers.

Turns out that there's a sizeable chunk of things shown on Sky and BT for which they aren't even paying a rights fee. The market is so poor for sports rights that an international feed is produced and supplied free of charge in the hope that it will increase exposure and sponsorship revenue.

Would suggest its not a good time to be looking for a new deal, especially when you're looking for it to be much larger than your current deal. The viewing figures on BT are terrible for live Premiership rugby and the RFU pissed off the BBC when they promised them live games during the pandemic and then pulled out at the last minute.
I despair tbh.
Cov were on Sky twice last season. Once on a free-to-view Sky channel (which seems the right way to do it).
The second time, however, it was on a pay-to-view one. I haven't seen the viewing figures but can only imagine (and having spoken to many others at various other Champ clubs) the second one drew the square root of fck all viewers.
Why bother going to the effort of televising and then getting virtually nobody watching?

Terry Gibson's perm

They have scrapped relegation for a year and will be expanding the league by one to allow promotion. Is that what you call a closed shop.

chiefdave

Complete joke of a league. Know its incredibly unlikely but would be funny if someone apart from Saracens got promoted and messed their plans up.

At a time they're struggling to get a new TV contract they've just voted to make a big chunk of their games completely meaningless!

SBAndy

Comical. Fuck ‘em, no one will be interested (and I say this as a bit of a casual rugby fan). A 13-team league doesn’t even make sense.

Edit: liked this snippet from the article.

The RFU said promotion and relegation could be put on hold for "three or four seasons" as it reviews the calendar.

Takes them 4 years to review a calendar, eh?

fernandopartridge

Comical. Fuck ‘em, no one will be interested (and I say this as a bit of a casual rugby fan). A 13-team league doesn’t even make sense.

Edit: liked this snippet from the article.

Takes them 4 years to review a calendar, eh?
The cauliflower eared bone heads are confused by leap years I think

SG21

Shame really. I Like rugby, but Wasps coming here never made sense to me. Such a random place to try and get the sport active when Cov Rugby is doing well (in terms of costs and size of club etc) and with things so heated between the council and the people here. Surely Wasps knew this going in? a quick bit of research on the ricoh would show this would never go down well.

Last edited:

Grendel

Shame really. I Like rugby, but Wasps coming here never made sense to me. Such a random place to try and get the sport active when Cov Rugby is doing well (in terms of costs and size of club etc) and with things so heated between the council the people here. Surely Wasps knew this going in? a quick bit of research on the ricoh would show this would never go down well.

The owner had been hanging around for years he’s a land owner and would have had interests in growth potential of the area around it

Terry Gibson's perm

Shame really. I Like rugby, but Wasps coming here never made sense to me. Such a random place to try and get the sport active when Cov Rugby is doing well (in terms of costs and size of club etc) and with things so heated between the council the people here. Surely Wasps knew this going in? a quick bit of research on the ricoh would show this would never go down well.

The council will have said there is a nice little money maker here ripping off the football club with high rent charges.

lifeskyblue

I've gone from being passive about rugby to absolutely hating it thanks to those cunts.

Same here...used to play rugby at school (many many years ago) and would always take an interest in the 6nations and rugby World Cup. Also occasionally went to watch Leicester Tigers with a friend. But now couldn’t tell you the name of any rugby players...would turn tv over or off rather than watch. It may just be coincidence but it has largely tied in with Wasps arrival in Coventry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG21

The council will have said there is a nice little money maker here ripping off the football club with high rent charges.
Not surprising as the council here are awful - easily one of the worst. They seem quite content with doing more harm than good and wasting money. A city this size really doesn't need three stadiums, but here we are.

It says it all that they got rid of a failing swimming pool to then be surprised the newer, more costly one would...also fail.

SG21

How on earth did Saracens get beaten today!!??
Imagine the backtracking from the RFU if (somehow) they aren't the one going up to the closed shop!!
At a guess, moral is very low. The entire recent history of the club is littered in shame now, players haven't played well for a while (see england's six nations for that) and Saracens are having to adjust to a budget. Something they've not done for a while...

Seamus1

isn't the hotel site by the Ricoh, Now going to be a car airport thing.....
That’s just a very short term gimmick. It will only be around for a few months (if indeed it is built at all) for prospective investors to have a look. The illustrations for it did show the hotel in the background just for illustrative purposes, but there will not be a such air-port permanently. If Maton or O’Boyle had their way, the car park would become yet another sodding warehouse

fernandopartridge

Very quick glance suggests not much good news in there. Has the finance plc contained a note about not being an ongoing concern before?

I think they might have done last year

In the Wasps Holdings accounts, Wasps themselves are the subject of the biggest drop in turnover.

Given that the venue was open for 75% of the year (closed from end March 20 to end June 20), the drop in revenues seems worse than you might expect

Users who are viewing this thread