Wasps downward spiral... (7 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

Looks like more cheap/free money for rugby

Amazing football is told to get the money from the prem and leave the lower clubs at their mercy while government bails out Rugby including the worlds/universes richest club.

jordan210

Does anyone know if the bond holders got their interest payments paid today?

Looking on ADVFN some have but some have not.

I believe part of the deal they agreed with bond holders to wave rights is they have to release accounts soon. So will be some interesting numbers.

Kneeza

Amazing football is told to get the money from the prem and leave the lower clubs at their mercy while government bails out Rugby including the worlds/universes richest club.
It's virtually all loans-access though, and about 0.75m max of that to Champ clubs (and as far as I can see, about 23m between the several hundred clubs below the top 24).
Cov have already lost around a million in income since March, and without crowds (ok, some, but income will still be severely limited by the restrictions on numbers/hospitality/ beer sales etc) how do they service loans? Even low interest loans?
Frankly, it's not helping.

jordan210

It’s never worth £40million they should snap there hand off

40 Mill is what the current contract is. So rugby looks like its a bit to big for its boots trying to ask for so much more. As BT wanted to pay less.

My guess they are trying to hold out for Amazon to pay big bucks. Would be funny if it back fires.

Terry Gibson's perm

40 Mill is what the current contract is. So rugby looks like its a bit to big for its boots trying to ask for so much more. As BT wanted to pay less.

My guess they are trying to hold out for Amazon to pay big bucks. Would be funny if it back fires.

Anything that makes it more difficult to watch is great news.

Kneeza

I'll continue to watch Cov at the BPA (when they let us back in), but as for the Premadonnas, nah. Awful stuff, on TV or live.

chiefdave

I remember having a discussion with Italia back in the day when he was arguing Wasps games had more exposure than ours and were therefore more valuable in terms of stadium naming rights. The ratings for live games was shockingly low. This was when we were in L1, or possibly even L2, and one live game for us on Sky had more viewers than every Wasps game combined on BT.

The rights are of little value other than filling hours in the schedule, they aren't shifting a lot of subscriptions for Premiership games.

The Premiership have also pissed of the BBC so they won't be looking to help them out even if they could afford it. They were promised the Premiership Final, when we were in lockdown, and then the league pulled out at the last minute.
Premiership Rugby is engaged in fresh controversy after the BBC was forced to cancel advanced plans to broadcast the Gallagher Premiership final between Exeter Chiefs and Wasps on October 24.

The BBC was approached in mid-September by Darren Childs, chief executive of Premiership Rugby (PRL), about simulcasting the final live with BT Sport and bringing the showpiece event to a wider audience.

PRL maintains they were only “exploratory” talks but the BBC was under the impression it would be broadcasting the game and cleared space for it on BBC Two. The broadcaster had arranged some complicated production logistics, secured a studio and booked a commentary team with two former England internationals due to work as pundits on the game.

speedie87

Do wasps have to file their accounts for year end 30th June 20 this month, or did they get that rule relaxed when the bond holders voted to relax other restrictions?

jordan210

Do wasps have to file their accounts for year end 30th June 20 this month, or did they get that rule relaxed when the bond holders voted to relax other restrictions?

Im sure part of the bond holders vote thing was they had to release them. As a few people on ADVFN said about it

fernandopartridge

They are supposed to report bi annually, it's well overdue but I'm wondering whether they have quietly dropped the reporting requirement now. The bond price has gone up presumably with the possibility of a bail out.

oldfiver

They are supposed to report bi annually, it's well overdue but I'm wondering whether they have quietly dropped the reporting requirement now. The bond price has gone up presumably with the possibility of a bail out.

Wasps Finance has to file at Companies House end of March. The bond holders may have a different deadline

Wasps Group is end of June

There are extended filing date this year

chiefdave

Somehow the rugby authorities seem to manage to make the incompetents at the FA and EFL look good!

They've cut funding to the lower leagues (was that before or after the goverment gave them millions?) and are now moaning that if clubs go down to those lower leagues they'll get less money! Seems not only do they want to ringfence the top division they want to pick who those clubs are.

For a sport whose TV viewing figures are terrible and who are struggling to even get a new TV deal it seems odd to be going out of your way to make a huge chunck of your season meaningless and therefore less attractive to viewers.

Brighton Sky Blue

Somehow the rugby authorities seem to manage to make the incompetents at the FA and EFL look good!

They've cut funding to the lower leagues (was that before or after the goverment gave them millions?) and are now moaning that if clubs go down to those lower leagues they'll get less money! Seems not only do they want to ringfence the top division they want to pick who those clubs are.

For a sport whose TV viewing figures are terrible and who are struggling to even get a new TV deal it seems odd to be going out of your way to make a huge chunck of your season meaningless and therefore less attractive to viewers.

Such a shit sport

Covkid1968#

Leaves Cov with nothing to aim for or aspire to. Look at how well run Exeter are... a team that came from the lower leagues. The sooner one of these ‘big’ clubs go bust the better.... and we all know which one we want to disappear. Closely followed by the Tigers

Terry Gibson's perm

At my school is was a sport played by bad footballers or fat lads mainly. We had a couple of brothers who played for coventry but their dad played and they got it from there rather than the school.

Terry Gibson's perm

NFL is probably bigger than rugby in this country. Or on course to be.

That would be interesting to know viewing figure wise, when the nfl franchise comes to London the attendances for that one team will dwarf all of the club rugby attendances added together.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think that rugby will be on amazon prime or one of those type things it just doesn’t have enough interest to get sky excited and by have obviously had their fingers burnt with nobody watching.

Kneeza

Question for you Kneeza as you know a fair bit about rugby; how do you think the concussion claims will affect the game?
That's the 64 million dollar question that everyone in the game would love to know the outcome of.
Mislaid me crystal ball atm though.

We'd better hope it's not too far-reaching though, as the potential for damage to all even slightly physical sport is frightening, and will give impetus for all sorts of claims for Astle-type injuries among others, and could even damage that over-dressed abomination, Gridiron.

Liquid Gold

That's the 64 million dollar question that everyone in the game would love to know the outcome of.

We'd better hope it's not too far-reaching though, as the potential for damage to all even slightly physical sport is frightening, and will give impetus for all sorts of claims for Astle-type injuries among others, and could even damage that over-dressed abomination, Gridiron.
But the NFL are already dealing with the issues by putting in concussion protocols, banning helmet to helmet hits and allowing injury timeouts. They are in a position with the stop start nature to make changes. If Rugby has the same issue then they may has well close it down.

Terry Gibson's perm

I heard an interview with John Stiles (son of Nobby) and they had given Bobby’s brain to a doctor to look at and he said that it was damaged from heading the ball and that there are a law firm that are starting up forty football related cases.

When quizzed if Nobby would have chosen a different profession if he had known how he would end up he said at 17 he wouldn’t have but at 70 he might have.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

Yes, similar to heading in football I guess. I can see that being banned for u18's and then adult players signing some sort of disclaimer accepting the risks.

I've read the theory that as rugby players are now nearly all like Johan Lomu, rather than him being the exception, there are bigger impacts and more injuries, certainly seems that way. I assume that fear of injury would slowly put off the number of youngsters playing.

Evo1883

NFL is probably bigger than rugby in this country. Or on course to be.
Not sure, rugby is huge in all the nations plus Ireland, especially international rugby.

I think rugga is still Comfortably more popular.. The only time I see anybody talk about NFL within my own life circle is on here, that's not the case with rugby

covcity4life

Not sure, rugby is huge in all the nations plus Ireland, especially international rugby.

I think rugga is still Comfortably more popular.. The only time I see anybody talk about NFL within my own life circle is on here, that's not the case with rugby
Sky sports give it their own channel around this time of year

I agree it must be close. But I don't really know many rugby fans. Fans of beer and 6 nations sure but not rugby fans sporting wise

Evo1883

Sky sports give it their own channel around this time of year

I agree it must be close. But I don't really know many rugby fans. Fans of beer and 6 nations sure but not rugby fans sporting wise
Just looked up NFL attendances in America... For a country 5 or so times larger In population... It draws a total of 16 million attendances a season compared to rugby's 9 million attendances ove rhere... I think rugby is definitely more popular over here

Staggered by how few actually attend matches in the US

Users who are viewing this thread