Wasps downward spiral... (4 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

Just looked up NFL attendances in America... For a country 5 or so times larger In population... It draws a total of 16 million attendances a season compared to rugby's 9 million attendances ove rhere... I think rugby is definitely more popular over here

Staggered by how few actually attend matches in the US
It’s just because there are only 32 teams and 17 games. 8 home games a season. Add in college football if you want to get a better picture of attendances, some places regularly well over 100,000.

tisza

Just looked up NFL attendances in America... For a country 5 or so times larger In population... It draws a total of 16 million attendances a season compared to rugby's 9 million attendances ove rhere... I think rugby is definitely more popular over here

Staggered by how few actually attend matches in the US
NFL teams sells around 96% of total available tickets. average TV audience per game around 16 million.
FBS college games average crowds of 41,000. Range being around 17.000 to 110.000 per game.
premier rugby attendances under 2 million mark in last uninterrupted season. BT sport had viewing figures around 170k per game pre-COVID.

Evo1883

NFL teams sells around 96% of total available tickets. average TV audience per game around 16 million.
FBS college games average crowds of 41,000. Range being around 17.000 to 110.000 per game.
premier rugby attendances under 2 million mark in last uninterrupted season. BT sport had viewing figures around 170k per game pre-COVID.
Bt sport is not the best platform in general for sport... Most people choose sky over bt and don't pay for both.
It must have a huge impact on TV figures... The 9 million was an official number for rugby union

NFL is poop

Mucca Mad Boys

NFL is probably bigger than rugby in this country. Or on course to be.

Wouldn’t mistake viewership with participation. If super league can get a TV deal, so can the Premiership. It’s that they’re asking for too much money.

Rugby Union needs to accept it’s a niche sport.

Skybluefaz

NFL is poop

giphy.gif

jordan210

An RFU compliant 3G pitch costs around 600k + from scratch

Upgrades from a current artificial one. if it has the correct infrastructure is around 250k

" The £2m construction contract will also see extensive renovations of the 13-acre site." I doubt it. with the costs involved in just the pitch.

fernandopartridge

An RFU compliant 3G pitch costs around 600k + from scratch

Upgrades from a current artificial one. if it has the correct infrastructure is around 250k

" The £2m construction contract will also see extensive renovations of the 13-acre site." I doubt it. with the costs involved in just the pitch.

I think they mean a few tins of Dulux tbh mate

chiefdave

Telegraph reporting today that there is going to be an airport for flying cars (I checked and its not April 1st) in Coventry. The location is the Ricoh car park, so guess that means the hotel isn't happening.

0_take-off-for-ev-626961.jpg

fernandopartridge

Looks like another little favour from CCC given that the commercial market is not interested in Wasps' car park. Can't remember the details of the deal to hand the car park over, but seem to recall there was a lot of furore about demand for hotels.

chiefdave

Looks like another little favour from CCC given that the commercial market is not interested in Wasps' car park. Can't remember the details of the deal to hand the car park over, but seem to recall there was a lot of furore about demand for hotels.
I think the lease was on the basis of the hotel being built. Presumably if they don't build the hotel the lease stays with the council and they've found an alternative use for it.

Would actually be a good move from the council if this is something that is realistically going to happen. There's been talk of a hotel since the Ricoh was being built and its never happened. If there's a chance to bring something else to the city then go for it. Although you'd hope the lost parking spaces would be replaced.

Terry Gibson's perm

Probably find the council have sold the land to London Wasps for 3p and then a mysterious group have bought the land for millions and it will suddenly appear in the council assets😉

There is no more need for a hotel there than my back garden, exhibitions will take a long time to come back and probably never to the same amount I have worked at lids and companies just spend fortunes often with little reward.

Last edited:

AOM

Whats next for the Ricoh and pie in the sky ideas.

Maybe carpark A could be the flooded and used as a port for cruise ships turning coventry in to the number 1 cruise destination in the midlands

Coventry. The Venice of the Midlands

CCFC88

Bt sport is not the best platform in general for sport... Most people choose sky over bt and don't pay for both.
It must have a huge impact on TV figures... The 9 million was an official number for rugby union

NFL is poop
There's a reason it's on BT. If sky want something, they get it, the fact they've never gone all in on Premiership Rugby Union tells you all you need to know

chiefdave

Looks like more cheap/free money for rugby

In recent days there's been a lot of complaints from those promised funding, such as National League football and Elite League ice hockey, that the terms for the promised funding have been significantly altered so that the funding is now loans and not grants or in some cases even the option of a loan has been withdrawn.

National League clubs are discussing not being able to complete the season and Elite League ice hockey have abandoned plans for there to be a season leaving Team GB players with no prep before playing in the top division of the World Championships against the likes of USA, Canada and Sweden - the top players in the world who are all playing.

Hopefully the same rules have been applied to all sports but would anyone be surprised if that wasn't the case.

Travs

I think the issue with football, people see the money flying around at the top, and say "sort it out yourselves"

When players are getting paid hundreds of thousands a week, i can fully understand the govt not wanting to throw more money at the problem.

Obviously its not that simple, but i expect that's how it looks from the outside.

Liquid Gold

I think the issue with football, people see the money flying around at the top, and say "sort it out yourselves"

When players are getting paid hundreds of thousands a week, i can fully understand the govt not wanting to throw more money at the problem.

Obviously its not that simple, but i expect that's how it looks from the outside.
It's the perception that has stuck in the general public about football as a whole. Whenever someone mentions something on social media about football there are always the 'overpaid prima donna' comments, not realising that is the top (and second) level. The pyramid goes a lot further down than that but people don't give a shit.

Reactions: AOM

Frostie

Agree. What people forget though is football generates ridiculous money too & how much do they contribute to the economy in tax etc?

Kneeza

On the 'cheap/free money' for RU clubs - Championship clubs have only been offered loans. No grants.
Loans need repaying.
No income whatsoever at the moment.
That's not 'cheap' money, and it's certainly not free.

Users who are viewing this thread