Match Thread Walsall vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 10th Nov (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCRJ

I’ve said in that last post it’s only my assumption like you did in opposition. Both our opinions are assumptions but I’m clarifying he can play a central midfield role to which you claimed or interpreted he’s not. He’s a number of years experience playing in centrally in a 442 so it’s not foreign to him.

You say your basing opinion based in facts, so I ask you how are his legs are gone? To what brings this opinion or is it centred around he’s 30 and had a bad injury so it’s really hard to come back from?

It is a ask, tho not a huge one. He definitely looks dead on his feet in the second half from 60 mins in but the same can be said for a young fit Tom Bayliss from 70/75 mins onwards.

The switch from 4231 I totally agree as a side that formation don’t suit us, I also called for the change to a 442 style might I add. MR has since switched to a 442 or 4411 as it more seems like last weekend which we used v Portsmouth, to which the last time Andreu played in a position to which were now scoring Connor Chaplin down in his overall contribution and effect in games.

Is that the system or the player you have to ask?

All I’m saying is along side Doyle a more defence minded player you could play Andreu or more logically as a replacement later in games for Bayliss as naturally he’s a starter over Andreu.

It’s something I’d try in a checkatrade game alongside a defensive midfielder not play him as a second striker or no 10 with no movement around him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's fair enough. I didn't go that far back to find out whether or not he'd played in that position. Interesting to know!

It's from what I've seen with my own eyes. Albeit it's not helped by the rawness he possesses due to the amount of time out of the game. But for instance, the Plymouth game particularly comes to mind. It was clear he had a great deal of talent but his movement was sloppy, his passes weren't the best although there were one or two through balls that Baka should've dealt with better,and his pace was bordering on the non-existent. Understandably he was never blessed with pace in the first place but it was noticeable that he was struggling, even in the first half. The game looked like it completely bypassed him.

Whilst he does look like he's puffing wind by the 70th at least he can last the full 90 - I highly doubt Andreu would however.

I do understand your point and on paper I'd agree (if that makes sense), but my response is why isn't he getting first team minutes? There's been a number of opportunities this month for him to come on yet MR chose to leave him on the bench. As you say Bayliss can at times struggle beyond the 70th so surely if MR thought he would be a like-for-like replacement he would've subbed him on to take charge of our creativity.

I'd agree with that as personally I'd rather use the Checkatrade to get those fringe players who are desperate for match sharpness/fitness, some minutes. I just don't agree that F.A. Cup game should be used in the same way.

Gibbo

I’ve said in that last post it’s only my assumption like you did in opposition. Both our opinions are assumptions but I’m clarifying he can play a central midfield role to which you claimed or interpreted he’s not. He’s a number of years experience playing in centrally in a 442 so it’s not foreign to him.

You say your basing opinion based in facts, so I ask you how are his legs are gone? To what brings this opinion or is it centred around he’s 30 and had a bad injury so it’s really hard to come back from?

It is a ask, tho not a huge one. He definitely looks dead on his feet in the second half from 60 mins in but the same can be said for a young fit Tom Bayliss from 70/75 mins onwards.

The switch from 4231 I totally agree as a side that formation don’t suit us, I also called for the change to a 442 style might I add. MR has since switched to a 442 or 4411 as it more seems like last weekend which we used v Portsmouth, to which the last time Andreu played in a position to which were now scoring Connor Chaplin down in his overall contribution and effect in games.

Is that the system or the player you have to ask?

All I’m saying is along side Doyle a more defence minded player you could play Andreu or more logically as a replacement later in games for Bayliss as naturally he’s a starter over Andreu.

It’s something I’d try in a checkatrade game alongside a defensive midfielder not play him as a second striker or no 10 with no movement around him.

Doyle & Andreu together = a central midfield made up of two elderly gents. You could play Andreu with Doyle if the latter was 15 years younger

Gibbo

Rest players? They only play 90 minutes, once a week.
And the rest of the week they train for those 90 minutes
I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. And I don't train for it.
It's the risk as much as anything. Injury picked up in an FA cup game would be stupid

Sky Blue Harry H

Is James on twitter? If so they are going to have to increase the number of characters so he can finish his tweets!

skybluegod

That's fair enough. I didn't go that far back to find out whether or not he'd played in that position. Interesting to know!

It's from what I've seen with my own eyes. Albeit it's not helped by the rawness he possesses due to the amount of time out of the game. But for instance, the Plymouth game particularly comes to mind. It was clear he had a great deal of talent but his movement was sloppy, his passes weren't the best although there were one or two through balls that Baka should've dealt with better,and his pace was bordering on the non-existent. Understandably he was never blessed with pace in the first place but it was noticeable that he was struggling, even in the first half. The game looked like it completely bypassed him.

Whilst he does look like he's puffing wind by the 70th at least he can last the full 90 - I highly doubt Andreu would however.

I do understand your point and on paper I'd agree (if that makes sense), but my response is why isn't he getting first team minutes? There's been a number of opportunities this month for him to come on yet MR chose to leave him on the bench. As you say Bayliss can at times struggle beyond the 70th so surely if MR thought he would be a like-for-like replacement he would've subbed him on to take charge of our creativity.

I'd agree with that as personally I'd rather use the Checkatrade to get those fringe players who are desperate for match sharpness/fitness, some minutes. I just don't agree that F.A. Cup game should be used in the same way.

May be wrong, but believe Andreu has been out injured for about 2/3 weeks, but might explain why he hasn't been in and around first team or even played for U23's?

SkyBlueCRJ

May be wrong, but believe Andreu has been out injured for about 2/3 weeks, but might explain why he hasn't been in and around first team or even played for U23's?

He is. But he was on the bench for the Charlton game and the Wycombe game but didn't come on. Both games we left it late to find a winner. Why not put him on in the final 20 minutes to see if he could've made a difference?

ccfchoi87

Andreu could play deeper in a midfield 3 no problem. We had our best spell in the forest green game when he dropped in there. I doubt he could do it in a 2.

no_loyalty

Some of the Walsall fans suggesting it goes to pens if the scores are level after 90 mins, I don't think that's true is it?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Although I think Andreu will be moving on from us either during January or the close season, I think IF he were to fit into the team it's actually more likely in a Bayliss central role. I'm starting to think he's not really a '10' - late runs into the box or long shots from distance aren't his thing - but sitting a bit deeper picking a pass he could do. It's whether he gets the movement to make the most of it.

It's not like Bayliss picks up the slack for Doyle's age when he plays. In fact quite often this season he's run down cul-de-sacs and lost possession and left us open on the counter.

However, I don't think he'll get the opportunity as Bayliss is first choice and Kelly will come in if he can't play for any reason.

skybluegod

Some of the Walsall fans suggesting it goes to pens if the scores are level after 90 mins, I don't think that's true is it?

You are correct they are wrong. It’s a replay if we draw isn’t it? Pretty sure there were changes in the league cup (no extra time straight to pentlaties) but pretty sure that the only FA cup changes were from the 5th round onwards, instead
Of replays, it goes to extra time and pens.

speedie87

You are correct they are wrong. It’s a replay if we draw isn’t it? Pretty sure there were changes in the league cup (no extra time straight to pentlaties) but pretty sure that the only FA cup changes were from the 5th round onwards, instead
Of replays, it goes to extra time and pens.

This is correct

steve82

Think I’d go with this tomorrow.

---------------Burge-----------
Grimmer--Willis--Davies--Brown
Thomas--Kelly--Doyle--Shipley
-----------JCH---Hiwula-------

Chaplin unfortunately drops to the bench as Id have him in mind to play against Cheltenham when hopefully he can grab a few goals to ignite some ruthless strikers goal scoring confidence into him. He’s not far off but a few goals against easier Cup opposition could do wonders going to Burton next weekend.

CanadianCCFC

giphy.gif
The daunting prospect of listening to CWR without watching the match awaits me unless I find a stream...

Marty

Anyone know if you can 'pay on the gate' into the home end today? I can see on the ccfc website that it's ticket only for us today.

Nick

Administrator
Anyone know if you can 'pay on the gate' into the home end today? I can see on the ccfc website that it's ticket only for us today.
You would have thought so, can't see them turning down more home fans

clint van damme

Can't make today. Safe journey to those that can.
Fingers crossed for a win but it's a sad indictment of the way football's gone that I would rather see us lose in a competition I used to love and pick up 3 points next week.

Mucca Mad Boys

Reckon we'll have a strong team today but expect one or two changes

Agreed. The team should remain largely intact, with a minor shuffling of the pack to manage injuries/fitness. We’ve got Cheltenham to be a bit more experimental with our setup!

Ricketts

Fingers crossed for a win but it's a sad indictment of the way football's gone that I would rather see us lose in a competition I used to love and pick up 3 points next week.
It doesnt work like that.

We can win both.

I would rather City lose and I win the lottery.

Not likely, as I dont join in with that thing that is basically a tax on hope, and the poor.

NortonSkyBlue

I get where you are coming from but I will still cream my pants if we win today...,.magic of the cup and all that!!! Ahem..

clint van damme

It doesnt work like that.

We can win both.

I would rather City lose and I win the lottery.

Not likely, as I dont join in with that thing that is basically a tax on hope, and the poor.

just to be clear, I want us to win both! But would choose a win next week over today. Just reread my post and I made it sound as though I want us to lose today which I definitely don't!

Users who are viewing this thread