Walsall Thread (1 Viewer)

Monners

I thought we were good in the first half. Walsall came back into it at the beginning of the second but then we got stronger as the match progressed. Added time was the usual "hanging on by a thread".

We all see things differently, of course, but I thought Petrasso and MArshall were good all match, particularly Petrasso who looked like he could really create something. And he did, of course. Blair Adams shot was great too and he was unlucky not to score.

All sounds a million times better than Sunday (and the dross at Notts which I had the misfortune to witness). Is it simply the case that we now carry some threat up front with WIlson returning. It must breed confidence. But, Murphy is player of the season - very reliable at this level.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fantastic result last night in a Midland Derby, shame more of us weren't there to be able to enjoy it, but that's a different topic entirely which doesn't deserve a place on this thread.

We sounded a constant threat all night, although the MOM must have been Joe Murphy who made some fantastic saves throughout the game.

The ten point deduction has been mentioned everywhere, it doesn't matter if we were one point off the play offs or eleven fact of the matter is you won't get away from people mentioning, however the aim has to be finishing seventh now which with a game in hand on Swindon is six points away is very realistic, at that point if we finish three, five or eight points off the play offs we can take note of the incredible achievements that Steven Pressley has managed with this young squad this season and look to next season with huge optimism.

First priority has to be maintaining league status, which is another 4 or 5 wins away. The postponement of fixtures has worked well for us and with players returning the pressure should start to ease.

RoboCCFC90

First priority has to be maintaining league status, which is another 4 or 5 wins away. The postponement of fixtures has worked well for us and with players returning the pressure should start to ease.

I agree, but it's very tight between ourselves and seventh that realistically with this squad it's where we should be aiming for, if we can maintain the fitness of our strikers we can climb the league and away from relegation.

skybluelee

5 wins would give us 56 points. No way we'll need that many to stay up.

stupot07

10 points should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

torchomatic

Bingo.

I didn't even know they were playing last night. That's how much my interest has been lost for the last year or so. Nice to see a win though. But I can't see that lifting us out of the quagmire.

Brighton Sky Blue

5 wins would give us 56 points. No way we'll need that many to stay up.

The bottom half is very tight this year-53 I would be reasonably confident on but you never know. This team has maintained top 10 form across the season, and that is where we should be looking to finish-play-offs will just be a bridge too far I think, although I'd love to be proven wrong.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree, but it's very tight between ourselves and seventh that realistically with this squad it's where we should be aiming for, if we can maintain the fitness of our strikers we can climb the league and away from relegation.

The mentality of the squad and especially the manager has never been in question, they'll be aiming as high as they can. Where we will always be held back with the present set-up is in the size of the squad and its dependence on young players, and we all know whose fault that is.

Nick

Administrator
Hasn't Pressley said from day dot he wants a small squad? Granted not so many youngsters.

RoboCCFC90

The mentality of the squad and especially the manager has never been in question, they'll be aiming as high as they can. Where we will always be held back with the present set-up is in the size of the squad and its dependence on young players, and we all know whose fault that is.

Pressley has always said that he wants a squad of about 23 players, I think we could still do with some experience in the Centre of Midfield and up top, Kris Boyd would be a great sigining should the recent rumours be correct.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hasn't Pressley said from day dot he wants a small squad? Granted not so many youngsters.

A small squad isn't necessarily a bad idea however it is top heavy with young players who are still developing physically and are more likely to pick up injuries, particularly with the pressing, high tempo style he wants to develop. Groundsharing hasn't helped with this as the pitch is deteriorating twice as fast which just raises the chances of injury.

Brighton Sky Blue

Pressley has always said that he wants a squad of about 23 players, I think we could still do with some experience in the Centre of Midfield and up top, Kris Boyd would be a great sigining should the recent rumours be correct.

Boyd is the wrong side of 30 and still looks overweight for Kilmarnock-it would be a risky investment.

RoboCCFC90

torchomatic

Everything's a risky investment from buying a player to buying a car.
Boyd is the wrong side of 30 and still looks overweight for Kilmarnock-it would be a risky investment.

SkyBlue_Bear83

So did Freddie eastwoods

Eastwood had only scored regularly for Southend in league 1 and league 2 when we signed him, flopped at Wolves in the championship. So I guess it depends on what standard you consider the Scottish premier league to be comparable to

Brighton Sky Blue

Perhaps, but his goal scoring record speaks volumes.

Alan Shearer's goal scoring record speaks volumes, it doesn't mean teams are queuing up to drag him out of retirement. There are better targets north of the border we could be going for, especially with Rangers' impending financial implosion.

Brighton Sky Blue

Eastwood had only scored regularly for Southend in league 1 and league 2 when we signed him, flopped at Wolves in the championship. So I guess it depends on what standard you consider the Scottish premier league to be comparable to

Most teams are operating on League 1 budgets and having watched it enough up here that is about where the standard lies. A few of the bigger clubs could compete in the Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread