Virgin trains stop selling the Daily Mail (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

The Mirror used to be a Nazi paper - have I entered a 6th form debating society?

if you're mentioning a paper that wasn't part of the debate because you conceive it to be left wing and are therefore making an attempt to point score as the paper which the debate is about is having it's dubious nature exposed then I think you are!

martcov

View attachment 8770 View attachment 8771 View attachment 8772

I always get the sense that they are trying to stir up trouble and get people angry.

Yes. That is their policy. Make people angry. No place for this disgusting rag in modern society. I hope more people stop selling it. My mother reads it, but she is nearly 90 and has got used to it over the years. She still voted remain though by postal vote because she believed in her kids’ and grandchildren’s futures.

The Mail Online is gaining readership and the paper version will continue declining as time goes on. They like talking about celebrities and showing bits of bums and tits, which always goes down well.

martcov

BVQTKHuCMAEos6j.jpg

BG8PRC6CMAAW7zM.jpg

Strong and stable.

Kingokings204

So they only sell the times, the financial times and the mirror now yeah?

fernandopartridge

Banning certain sections of the media? Yeah not surprised whose liking the anti democratic feel as well
They're a retailer free to stock what they like. I didn't even realise they sold the Daily Mail. PR stunt anyway, there's no genuine sentiment in it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

martcov

So they only sell the times, the financial times and the mirror now yeah?

70 copies per day of a propaganda rag will not be sold or distributed on a train or trains. The Mail is in fury.

The brexiteers, led by ban the Burka Farage, are against a ban on their favourite rag ( which is not a ban at all ).

Pathetic.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Is that wrong though Otis? The same with the Halal thing in your post below that one. Those aren't necessarily untruths, in fact you'll probably find they are actually quite accurate.

That's the problem with the mail, they quite often post loads of shit which discredits them, but they also post a lot of stuff other media outlets aren't brave enough to cover. It means you always have to take them with a pinch of salt, but I'd also argue the censorship goes way beyond the mail as most mainstream media won't cover what they are willing to post.

I don't really buy the whipping up hate thing. The left newspapers have a simialir style and seem to get away with it. For example telling european citizens we all hate them due to Brexit, or saying white people are a disgrace to society.

I'd normally say Virgin are a business and can sell what they want, but this does seem more like an act of censorship than an outright business decision.

fernandopartridge

Is that wrong though Otis? The same with the Halal thing in your post below that one. Those aren't necessarily untruths, in fact you'll probably find they are actually quite accurate.

That's the problem with the mail, they quite often post loads of shit which discredits them, but they also post a lot of stuff other media outlets aren't brave enough to cover. It means you always have to take them with a pinch of salt, but I'd also argue the censorship goes way beyond the mail as most mainstream media won't cover what they are willing to post.

I don't really buy the whipping up hate thing. The left newspapers have a simialir style and seem to get away with it. For example telling european citizens we all hate them due to Brexit, or saying white people are a disgrace to society.

I'd normally say Virgin are a business and can sell what they want, but this does seem more like an act of censorship than an outright business decision.
You're brighter than that. Censorship of what? What percentage of the population uses Virgin Trains daily? Virgin does not sell the Guardian or the Morning Star? Is that censorship or just a company selling what sells?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Otis

It's the constant and consistent scare stories they post and the agenda they put across. It's very xenophobic. It's all seemingly done in a doom and gloom, sensational, scare story way in order to create panic and anger.

Philosorapter

It's simple supply and demand. If there's no demand then why supply it?

The days of newspapers having the social impact they once had is greatly diminishing.

Personally when I take a trip down the west coast line, I am always connected to the Internet. Newspapers seems to be getting a little old school.

Otis

It's simple supply and demand. If there's no demand then why supply it?

The days of newspapers having the social impact they once had is greatly diminishing.

Personally when I take a trip down the west coast line, I am always connected to the Internet. Newspapers seems to be getting a little old school.
I do read the Metro, but then that's only because it is free. Same too with the Evening Standard.

skybluetony176

CwWgOZJXEAAiX6m.jpg

Are people really defending a publication that views being gay as a fault of someone's character?
Clearly all gays are remoaning traitor saboteurs. It’s in the gay contract that they have to sign to join the club. True story. And don’t even get me started on ex Olympian fencers. Grrr

Kingokings204

70 copies per day of a propaganda rag will not be sold or distributed on a train or trains. The Mail is in fury.

The brexiteers, led by ban the Burka Farage, are against a ban on their favourite rag ( which is not a ban at all ).

Pathetic.

How about answering my question? Try that

SIR ERNIE

Nothing more than political grandstanding Earlsdon.

Let's face it, if they're only selling 70/week then it's an utterly unimportant stock item to both VT and their customers. Discontinue it and neither party will miss it. So why bother announcing your decision to the world unless it's for political reasons.

I'll continue to travel VA Upper Class because it's the best but think I'll probably boycott his pickle. Need to make a stand.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Obviously not worth them stocking it. The point is though, if it's so insignificant to their business, why even bother announcing that they're discontinuing it? It's a pathetic political

Nothing more than political grandstanding Earlsdon.

Let's face it, if they're only selling 70/week then it's an utterly unimportant stock item to both VT and their customers. Discontinue it and neither party will miss it. So why bother announcing your decision to the world unless it's for political reasons.

I'll continue to travel VA Upper Class because it's the best but think I'll probably boycott his pickle. Need to make a stand.

I don't know who publicised the discontinuation of them stocking it but I'd agree, not sure why it was publicised.

Paxman II

Interesting. But to be honest all newspapers are full of fake news these days. Their very survival almost depends on it in the age of digital media.
They just has a political bias depending on which rag you read. Have to say the Liberal press are indeed the worse offenders of fake news.
As for Branson and his political stance I couldn't care less, fell out of love with this guy many moons ago.
The fact is - going back to the earlier exchanges of Grendel and Otis, Freedom of speech should mean exactly that. Only you should decide what you pay attention to, your choice.
Censoring your right to free speech is wrong. You may not like someone for what they say but they have a right to say it. You don't have to listen and you have the same right.
It's also important to hear/know what people are saying and thinking. Suppressing it is not helpful.

rob9872

I don't have a problem with them banning it. As a business decision that is entirely their choice, but they should have the balls to admit that it's due to poor sales or because it doesn't fit in with the politics of either their target audience or the management of the company. They actually hid behind an LGBT agenda which is both poor and lazy.

I noted higher up that someone referred to the anti-gay stance, but as Andrew Pierce pointed out (openly gay Daily Mail hack), he works with a number of other gay reporters and proportionally higher than on many other newspapers - he is proud to do so. I guess that doesn't fit with the promoted agenda, but is an undisputable fact.

I would also replace a lot of what is reported (and listed on here) from xenophobic to patriotic. Some of it oversteps the mark and is indefensible, but others (and some among you) would gladly have any proud Brit pigeon holed as a racist.

Kingokings204

could well be, I know it's now only 3.
Wonder why it's only the West coast franchise?

I guess you can can see why people are arguing the case a bit then as they stock 3 pro remain papers but as a leaver what can I buy on the train? Yeah sure I can buy a daily mail and take it on with me but it’s not really the point as then just get rid of all papers. Who buys a paper on the train anyway? You buy one before surely?

richnrg

I'm still confused as to who gets which bit of the paper, if they only sell one every 4 trains?. Surely it's not fair that the bloke on the 6.32 to Littlecockton gets the sports section, whilst someone else gets stuck with the 'racist letters' page just because they happen to be on the stopper service to Bolvangar Parkway?

clint van damme

I guess you can can see why people are arguing the case a bit then as they stock 3 pro remain papers but as a leaver what can I buy on the train? Yeah sure I can buy a daily mail and take it on with me but it’s not really the point as then just get rid of all papers. Who buys a paper on the train anyway? You buy one before surely?

I can't figure out any rationale behind the decision to be honest unless it genuinely is down to sales.
I agree, I think most people buy a paper prior to boarding.

Kingokings204

I can't figure out any rationale behind the decision to be honest unless it genuinely is down to sales.
I agree, I think most people buy a paper prior to boarding.

Surely they do. I would buy a paper before the train or use the app of the chosen paper.

Captain Dart

Some WWI propaganda.. the Hun bayoneting children.. or did they?
220px-MB_Walker_-_German_bayoneting_children_-_Life_-_July_25%2C_1915.png

First World War

Macca

All media has an agenda. Because media is run by people and every person has an agenda / opinion. I don't read any of them preferring to draw on my life experiences

Otis

All media has an agenda. Because media is run by people and every person has an agenda / opinion. I don't read any of them preferring to draw on my life experiences
But not necessarily always on the front page and constantly and consistently forever pushing the same agenda over and over and over and not always so sensationalistically.

We all expect it from the Sun and Mirror, but the Mail and the Express position themselves as just that bit more intelligent than those two jokey tags.

Grendel

But not necessarily always on the front page and constantly and consistently forever pushing the same agenda over and over and over and not always so sensationalistically.

We all expect it from the Sun and Mirror, but the Mail and the Express position themselves as just that bit more intelligent than those two jokey tags.

They are tabloids that sell on headlines with little pretence. As previously stated the biggest hypocrites are the left wing newspapers which portray themselves as morally superior and claim to appeal to a higher demographic yet include within their cabal left wing luvvies like Love Myself.

Users who are viewing this thread