Vintage rumours (1 Viewer)

Jagmannn

Am I correct in thinking we tried to sign Steve Bull and Ally McCoist in the 90s? Was chatting to the old man about it while England were shit against Scotland the other night. Might have just been pissed though.
The story was we went to watch Ally McCoist at Rangers ...and came back with Kevin Drinkwell instead

long way home

Big Ron, thought he had pulled a master stroke by signing the Czech international Radek Bejbl before Euro 96. Apparently all was agreed, but the player wanted to wait until after the tournament to sign. He was not that well known before but ended up playing every minute of every game reaching the final. Really good player, who signed for A Madrid after the euros.

I also remember GS chasing Don Hutchinson and Niklas Alexandersson the the summer before we got relegated.

Blind-Faith

Big Ron, thought he had pulled a master stroke by signing the Czech international Radek Bejbl before Euro 96. Apparently all was agreed, but the player wanted to wait until after the tournament to sign. He was not that well known before but ended up playing every minute of every game reaching the final. Really good player, who signed for A Madrid after the euros.

I also remember GS chasing Don Hutchinson and Niklas Alexandersson the the summer before we got relegated.

Well atleast we eventually got Hutchinson 😂

Flying Fokker

Am I correct in thinking we tried to sign Steve Bull and Ally McCoist in the 90s? Was chatting to the old man about it while England were shit against Scotland the other night. Might have just been pissed though.
Trevor Francis was the one in my day as well.

This link 'Get me a tea’ - Trevor Francis on Nottingham Forest, Brian Clough & the million pound fee - Nottinghamshire Live (nottinghampost.com)

And this as well

Only two clubs had pockets deep enough to match Birmingham’s asking price: Forest and Coventry City, who proposed a novel joint-ownership scheme with Detroit Express, the American team controlled by the Coventry chairman Jimmy Hill with whom Francis had played the previous summer.

“They were very keen and wanted me to make a decision there and then,” Francis remembers. “What they didn’t realise is that I’d made my mind up before I’d even started negotiations, and after that meeting I was absolutely certain that what I wanted was to go to Forest. But out of respect for Coventry I felt I owed a phone call to their manager, Gordon Milne. I wanted him to be the first one to know what was going on.”

oud of being the first £1m player? Absolutely.”

Last edited:

RedSalmon

I remember hearing that we were very close to signing John Collins during the 1998 World Cup. Rumour was that him and McCalister (injured at the time) were big mates and it was all but nailed on.

Gynnsthetonic

In the late seventies we seemed to have such a good side with money to spend and big crowds, it all seemed to go wrong when we went all seater, crowds then dropped and players and managers left!

Legia Sky Blue

Phil Masinga spotted at KFC. Must have been the the first of the 'in the know' internet message board rumours alongside those from Jim the Gateman, a kind of precursor to the recent Bristol City 3 & Gilmour rumours. Not the last to be completely wrong though :)

oscillatewildly

Not a rumour, but back in the mists of time we turned down future European footballer of the year Kevin Keegan for being too small and Chris Waddle when they had trials. Someone was seriously shit back in the day.
The KK story is long overdue a QI style klaxon response every time it gets a mention.

Users who are viewing this thread