Vintage rumours (1 Viewer)

Greggs

Am I correct in thinking we tried to sign Steve Bull and Ally McCoist in the 90s? Was chatting to the old man about it while England were shit against Scotland the other night. Might have just been pissed though.

slowpoke

Steve Bull definitely when Big Ron was manager fee of 3 million was agreed but for some reason didn’t happen

COV

Steve Bull definitely when Big Ron was manager fee of 3 million was agreed but for some reason didn’t happen

Don’t think it was 3mill, I thought it was 1m…

(checks)

it was 1.5m, and as it turns out he wanted to go to Villa. Remember seeing him in Gynn’s testimonial and the hunger to score goals even in a game like that was obvious- I think he’d have made it in the top division with ease.

Greggs

Ah, thanks guys! That would have been interesting if it would have happened, didn't he end up staying at WOlves all his career?

COV

Ah, thanks guys! That would have been interesting if it would have happened, didn't he end up staying at WOlves all his career?

I don’t think it would have worked- after he turned us down he started getting injured regularly, he only played a couple more seasons after that.

in his prime in today’s market he’d be a £30m player for sure.

he played a couple of games for Hereford right at the end but that was it.

Terry_dactyl

I saw Bull playing for wolves vs Pompey. 0-0-0 at halftime. 5-0 Wolves full time. I think he scored 3.
Im sure he got minutes at Italia ‘90.

oscillatewildly

Don't ever recall a 'Super Ally' link but I know we were close to signing Craig Burley from Chelsea around 1996. So close in fact that the BBC text pages listing the Scotland squad for euro '96 had his club side (in brackets) as Coventry.
I've also got an old newspaper clipping from around 1971 with the news that Coventry City were just crossing 't's' and dotting 'i's over the signing of Brian Kidd.

Robccfc87

Didn’t we choose Moldovan over someone who went on to be amazing? I’ve got Van Nistelrooy in my head when he was still at Herenveen, might just be me blurring reality v my memory of playing on championship manager back in the day mind!

bringbackrattles

Brian Clough wanted to sign Trevor Francis and was told by Brum Forest would have to pay a record fee for him. He was also told one other club would pay the money also and it was Coventry City. Francis talked first with Cloughie who got him to sign and the rest is history so to speak. Clough was rumoured to have said " bloody Coventry City ! "

junglej13

Decent article from the Telegraph back from 2001 with Ray Clarke with some info from his days as European scout...

JimmyHillsbeard

The Savage story was never true apparently, but Lennon had agreed a move to us only the back out the next morning.

Trezequet was apparently true as was the story that Strachan turned down a Dutch striker called Ruud van Nistelrooy becaause he thought £3m too steep a price for an unproven foreigner.

fernandopartridge

I seem to remember us being linked with Jorg Albertz and maybe Neil McCann from Rangers? Also Gary Naysmith who ended up at Everton and im sure some random norwegian guy called Lund at some point. God knows why i remember this.
Lund was linked after Dublin was sold. Him and another scandi, sure the name began with H. Hagh maybe?
Neil mccann around the same time but I think it was from Hearts rather than Rangers.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Lund was linked after Dublin was sold. Him and another scandi, sure the name began with H. Hagh maybe?
Neil mccann around the same time but I think it was from Hearts rather than Rangers.
Was there a Gary Wales or something like that from Hearts too? I remember Lund being one of a number of links with scandi players but dont recall names. I just remember that as a kid i used to love reading the back pages of the telegraph for this stuff.

Think i just remembered another one....Nuno Gomes!

kg82

Pretty sure Lentini was one we were after as well, wasn’t he? And there was a french guy for Monaco, played for Fulham later on. Can’t remember his name now.

Edit: Legwinski?

junglej13

Lund was pictured on the back of the Telegraph holding the shirt. Then failed a medical with a knee injury. Not long after he went to Wimbledon and his knee went and pretty much ended his career.

junglej13

I seem to remember us being linked with Jorg Albertz and maybe Neil McCann from Rangers? Also Gary Naysmith who ended up at Everton and im sure some random norwegian guy called Lund at some point. God knows why i remember this.
McCann was after we sold Keane so probably had more money to fritter away than ever. I think we were preparing to pay about £4.5m for him and Rangers kept upping the price each time we thought we had a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread