Vintage rumours (1 Viewer)

JimmyHillsbeard

I seem to remember us being linked with Jorg Albertz and maybe Neil McCann from Rangers? Also Gary Naysmith who ended up at Everton and im sure some random norwegian guy called Lund at some point. God knows why i remember this.

Andreas Lund was going to be Dublin’s replacement. Instead we got Darren Jackson on loan from Hibs.

bit like when we failed to sign Chris Marsden after a brilliant loan spell, choosing instead to bring in Sandy Robertson

Jesse Carver

Juan Ugarte from Wrexham in 04/05 - was tearing it up when they were in League 1 or whatever it was called back then.

Gynnsthetonic

Pavel Nedved was on our radar in 96 until Czech Republic got to the final of Euro 96 with him being star man, think he went to Italy in the summer!

NorthernWisdom

We were briefly linked to Gazza by the CET when he was in Italy
Pretty sure we actually did bid for him... but ended up with Paul Telfer instead.

Story of the Atkinson years, bid for players with no clue how they'd fit into the shape of the team. As mentioned before, a Neil Lennon type was just what our midfield needed so once he didn't come, we needed to find the same style.

Last edited:

SBT

I have a vague memory from the late 90s of a spurious tabloid rumour that Rangers and Celtic were going to buy their way into the Premiership by launching takeovers of Coventry and Wimbledon respectively. Can remember getting super excited at the time, but can’t find any trace of it now. Anyone else remember or did I imagine it?

skybluelee

I heard an interview with Bull recently. He said he was offered less in wages to play in the Premier League with Cov than he was to stay at Wolves in Div 1 (as it was then called).

Joy Division

MV5BOTA4NDc0MGEtOTk5YS00YWJhLThiMTktZDBiMjBkMDg0OGY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

ovduk78

We were briefly linked to Gazza by the CET when he was in Italy
I heard that when he was at Rangers and around the time of the David Busst testimonial that he played in, Walter Smith wanted a player swap with Gascoigne for McAllister. If true I would have snapped his hand off.

blunted

Not a rumour, but back in the mists of time we turned down future European footballer of the year Kevin Keegan for being too small and Chris Waddle when they had trials. Someone was seriously shit back in the day.

Legia Sky Blue

Not a rumour, but back in the mists of time we turned down future European footballer of the year Kevin Keegan for being too small and Chris Waddle when they had trials. Someone was seriously shit back in the day.

Yes Waddle came down from the North East with Ray Gooding who we signed instead. Staying on the Charlton theme from the Lee Bowyer days am sure about the same time we were also reported to be in for Richard Rufus.

SleepyGinger

Not one of our rumours but across this story from when Alen Boksic and Noel Whelan signed for Middlesborough.

“In 2000, Middlesbrough bolstered their attack with the signings of Lazio's Alen Bokšić and Noel Whelan of Coventry City. The former won the Champions League with Marseille and Serie A with both Juventus and Lazio, the latter received two England under-21 caps in 1994.

After a particularly poor display, Bokšić was left frustrated by his new strike partner. Having previously played alongside the likes of Davor Šuker, Marcelo Salas and Alessandro Del Piero, Whelan took a bit of getting used to.

The next Monday, Bokšić paid a visit to one of the Middlesbrough hierarchy and demanded to know how much his new teammate was being paid. He then wanted to know how long Whelan had remaining on his contract. Satisfied with the answers, he left.

The next day, Bokšić returned waving a cheque at the Boro staff member. “That's Whelan's wages for the rest of his contract”, the Croatian said, “Now tell him to f*ck off.”

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson on permanent moves. It was talked about at the time, few years later Ray Ranson came out and said both were close-ish but SISU pulled the plug.

Back in the day I seem to remember Andrew Driver, Peter Whittingham, Daniel Nardiello, getting lots of mentions on the transfer rumour front.

Grendel

Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson on permanent moves. It was talked about at the time, few years later Ray Ranson came out and said both were close-ish but SISU pulled the plug.

That was a rumour in Uncle Rays tiny mind.

JulianDarbyFTW

Yeah, I could maybe buy Carroll as being genuine, but Henderson was always coming just for the experience, he was always slated for the first team at Sunderland.

I'm sure we were going to loan Henderson back the following season, and then their manager (was it Ricky Sbragia?) got sacked, and that was that.

Users who are viewing this thread