Vintage rumours (1 Viewer)

ProfessorbyGrace

For ages, I thought Bulgarian international Trifon Ivanov was a rumour, until I understood he had a trial, featured in a reserve match, but got sent off for going studs up on someone. Big Ron wasn't impressed, obviously.

It's probably been mentioned, however I do recall Czech player Radek Bejbl having agreed, in principle, to join us after Euro 96...bah. Really solid defensive midfielder. Something we truly lacked for so long, in the 90's.

Also, Michael Thomas of Liverpool in the mid 90's: it was definitely a rumour as it was in the usual rags: The Sun and The Star.

junglej13

Phil Masinga spotted at KFC. Must have been the the first of the 'in the know' internet message board rumours alongside those from Jim the Gateman, a kind of precursor to the recent Bristol City 3 & Gilmour rumours. Not the last to be completely wrong though :)
Remember the Masinga sighting but didn't he actually agree to sign for Strachan following relegation but didn't get a work permit?

junglej13

Again not a rumour as such but Ravanelli came in on trial under McAllister. Remember he was going to play in the reserves... But clearly couldn't even be arsed to do that. Remember McAllister and possibly McGinnity saying when he was in the office set to sign he kept taking calls with his advisors clearly desperate for another option to materialise, consequently we pulled the plug.

long way home

Stuart Parnaby was at the club training with both parties trying to sort a contract. It didn't happen as we were miles apart on what we could/would pay and what he thought he was worth/wanted. He was offended by the offer apparently, obviously we wasn't locking gates or doors to stop him leaving by all accounts.

Sky Blue Harry H

Slightly off piste, but having just posted a clip of the Michael Doyle outburst at the Notts County play off game, do people remember the rumours flying about that Mansfield, Forest and a few other 'crews' were teaming up to attack us at that game. I remember gently mocking someone I knew who was convinced it was happening. Heard it from a few others that night. Amazing how these things can spread.

ProfessorbyGrace

Ok, the rigours of time may indeed be at fault here, but didn't we almost sign Peter Ndlovu's brother Adam?

I've just googled it, nothing about nearly joining us, however he almost signed for Manchester United, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread