USSR invades Ukraine. (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is that how this works? I'm not sure it is ..

The United States of America, comfortably the world's greatest military power since WW2 have struggled in Vietnam against farmers , against Somalian guerrillas and against the taliban .

They dont have a shit army

What this war has proven is that Ukraine is just about keeping its head above water , against a country that has sanctions galore placed on them , whilst being backed by every Western Power possible in the process

In a direct war between Russia and Ukraine without western help it's over quite quickly isn't it ?

I'm glad we are helping them but a bit of perspective
I think the biggest thing to mention in these is who were the people in a foreign land with all the problems that entails in terms of troops and supplies? Home advantage and a large number of people available for the cause, either willing to fight or at the very least not comply and create difficulties.

Otis

I think the biggest thing to mention in these is who were the people in a foreign land with all the problems that entails in terms of troops and supplies? Home advantage and a large number of people available for the cause, either willing to fight or at the very least not comply and create difficulties.
It's a massive advantage for Ukraine on home soil and it also seems the Russian soldiers morale has not been great at all in general either. Raw recruits who were told they were on a training exercise etc.

Sick Boy

Yes I think it was around May time.

But that's the thing - they have stopped! They've made little to no progress since.

Ukraine will never surrender either. They have a constant supply of arms from the west, Russia are resorting to tanks and missiles and other equipment that's 60 years old.

The HIMARS have made a MASSIVE difference.

I don't see how Russia can win from here.
They don’t have a “constant supply of arms from the west” because eventually it’ll stop if the war continues, especially once the cost of living really hits in the west.

Last edited:

PVA

They don’t have a “constant supply of arms from the west” because eventually it’ll stop if the war continues, especially once the cost of living really hits in the west.

Well they do at the moment and until that changes that statement is true.

Plus polling has shown that people are happy to continue supplying arms to Ukraine, even during a cost of living crisis. Hopefully that holds true.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well what an intelligent response.

You do realise Biden and co really don’t care about this war - Europe don’t care - and now Johnson has gone we don’t care

Yes no need for a distraction from domestic scandal every 2 minutes

jimmyhillsfanclub

Talking of constant supplies, I was reading yesterday about the EU now being supplied russian gas and oil via 3rd party nations such as India and Mexico....

....and even before that rather duplicitous practice is explored, its worth remembering the EU have paid russia nearly $100 billion for oil just between the months of March and July 2022

Cher-ching

Last edited:

PVA

A well referenced article.

I'd be interested to hear what those who think Russia will win the war make of that article. (genuinely interested, I'm not antagonising!)

PVA

Big hit by Ukraine on a Russian Air base in Crimea which is obviously absolutely miles behind the front line. Seems very significant.

Flying Fokker

Big hit by Ukraine on a Russian Air base in Crimea which is obviously absolutely miles behind the front line. Seems very significant.
Hopefully, but Russia is clear that Crimea is now thirs and that Ukraine will take a mighty blow. Who blinks first. East or West. It only takes one trigger happy idiot to send nukes over.

Russia shot itself In the foot and the sanctions have sent them back to the 1960’s. I’m could have been so different. Russia and more importantly, China need a route out of this current division. We are at loggerheads with them.

so what do we do with China…Educate them in the ways of the west through giving them acces to universities and intellectual property of businesses. Great move if we are talking a free world. I’m not sure China wants things that way?

shmmeee

Hopefully, but Russia is clear that Crimea is now thirs and that Ukraine will take a mighty blow. Who blinks first. East or West. It only takes one trigger happy idiot to send nukes over.

Russia shot itself In the foot and the sanctions have sent them back to the 1960’s. I’m could have been so different. Russia and more importantly, China need a route out of this current division. We are at loggerheads with them.

so what do we do with China…Educate them in the ways of the west through giving them acces to universities and intellectual property of businesses. Great move if we are talking a free world. I’m not sure China wants things that way?

Wouldn’t trust China as far as I can throw them TBH. Energy and manufacturing dependence both need looking at, energy is easy enough. Might be that we have to take a cost of living hit and make agreements with friendly nations to ramp up manufacturing again and trade with each other.

Relying on one country, especially an anti democratic one, for large chunks of your economy is never a smart move.

tisza

Isn't this the "mistake" that EU made with Russia? A belief (mainly because it worked for Germany post WW2) that prosperous trade would trump political ambitions, temper aggression and oppression. A belief that everybody really wants liberal democracy and healthy trade is a part of achieving that.

Much as EU countries allowed themselves to be too reliant on Russian natural resources they have let China build up a massive trade imbalance with EU. They've ignored the various abuses ( political, human rights and more) for the sake of trade.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There's already a large contingent of Chinese students in UK universities and why would they bother with IPR when they flagrantly ignore it constantly with rip-offs.

On a bigger scale in terms of collabs between institutions, again you have to be very careful. The Chinese government has influence everywhere in that country, whether volunteered or by coercion, and are constantly looking for means of undermining the security and systems of other nations. They're not interested in working with others, they're interested in imposing their will on them. Not disimilar to us a few centuries back really.

Sky Blue Pete

Wouldn’t trust China as far as I can throw them TBH. Energy and manufacturing dependence both need looking at, energy is easy enough. Might be that we have to take a cost of living hit and make agreements with friendly nations to ramp up manufacturing again and trade with each other.

Relying on one country, especially an anti democratic one, for large chunks of your economy is never a smart move.
Cheap though

Flying Fokker

There's already a large contingent of Chinese students in UK universities and why would they bother with IPR when they flagrantly ignore it constantly with rip-offs.

On a bigger scale in terms of collabs between institutions, again you have to be very careful. The Chinese government has influence everywhere in that country, whether volunteered or by coercion, and are constantly looking for means of undermining the security and systems of other nations. They're not interested in working with others, they're interested in imposing their will on them. Not disimilar to us a few centuries back really.
Yep. All of that….what happens when china pulls said students back? WBS goes Kaput.

shmmeee

Massive strike on an airfield in Crimea. Looks like huge losses for the Russians. Lovely stuff.

PVA

Massive strike on an airfield in Crimea. Looks like huge losses for the Russians. Lovely stuff.

And they don't know what kind of weapons did it. Which just casts huge doubts in the minds of the Russians.

Now they know they can be hit where they thought they were safe. Way, way behind the front line. Serious failure of Russian air defence as well.

Some top trolling by Ukraine as well:

Last edited:

shmmeee

Fog of war is strong at the moment so hard to tell for sure, but seem to be making decent progress with the counter. Big ask but if they can retake Kherson before the winter it’ll change the face of the war.

Noticed Putin for the first time called it a “special operation in Donbas” which suggests a maybe reality is creeping in for him.

Grendel

Fog of war is strong at the moment so hard to tell for sure, but seem to be making decent progress with the counter. Big ask but if they can retake Kherson before the winter it’ll change the face of the war.

Noticed Putin for the first time called it a “special operation in Donbas” which suggests a maybe reality is creeping in for him.

Russia have just stop gas supply to the Nord pipeline so I wouldn’t be so sure

Alan Dugdales Moustache

He's desperate but at the same time he knows cutting the supply is going to cripple western Europe. He wants to see how the west responds given the difficulty he is facing in Ukraine.
I wouldn't underestimate Putin . The injured lion backed into a corner will resort to God knows what . If the rest of Europe shows any weekness over the supply of oil he'll exploit it. NOPM to Russian oil I say ! 😀

shmmeee

He's desperate but at the same time he knows cutting the supply is going to cripple western Europe. He wants to see how the west responds given the difficulty he is facing in Ukraine.
I wouldn't underestimate Putin . The injured lion backed into a corner will resort to God knows what . If the rest of Europe shows any weekness over the supply of oil he'll exploit it. NOPM to Russian oil I say ! 😀

If (and it’s a huge if) he loses Kherson and with it likely the rest of the south coast, he’s going to face a choice of take the separatist regions plus the 2014 annexations and spin it as a win, or the war will reach places like Crimea and even Belgorod and he’s going to get asked some very difficult questions at home.

shmmeee

Germany and France have contributed less than Portugal on a GDP basis. Support comes from mostly the US, Canada, and U.K. with the Eastern EU nations helping out.

27278.jpeg

If Putin, or you, think making the Germans pay through the nose for gas will stop Ukraine they’re wrong.

And anyway last German polling I saw had 70% support for supporting Ukraine.

CCFCSteve

There’s so many moving parts though. If Putin keeps the gas turned off to Europe they lose billions of income as I don’t think they can pipe it elsewhere (although don’t quote me on that). I think oil sales to Asia dropped recently, China who they are relying on are in the shit and Europe is dramatically cutting back.

This winter isn’t going to be pretty for anyone. Putins fucked up and all he can do is try to squeeze Europe with energy and threaten nuclear attacks. I agree with comments that him being backed into a corner is a dangerous prospect though

Alan Dugdales Moustache

There’s so many moving parts though. If Putin keeps the gas turned off to Europe they lose billions of income as I don’t think they can pipe it elsewhere (although don’t quote me on that). I think oil sales to Asia dropped recently, China who they are relying on are in the shit and Europe is dramatically cutting back.

This winter isn’t going to be pretty for anyone. Putins fucked up and all he can do is try to squeeze Europe with energy and threaten nuclear attacks. I agree with comments that him being backed into a corner is a dangerous prospect though
I have a log burner and have amassed absolutely loads of bits of old wood and scraps I've picked up recently. It won't warm the house much beyond the living room and even though it goes against my feelings on the environment I'm determined to use as little gas as possible this winter. Blankets and thick curtains. Putin can get lost.

CCFCSteve

Germany and France have contributed less than Portugal on a GDP basis. Support comes from mostly the US, Canada, and U.K. with the Eastern EU nations helping out.

27278.jpeg

If Putin, or you, think making the Germans pay through the nose for gas will stop Ukraine they’re wrong.

And anyway last German polling I saw had 70% support for supporting Ukraine.

Good old France

Edit - that might be a bit unfair if additional support via EU isn’t included in their figure.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Good old France

Edit - that might be a bit unfair if additional support via EU isn’t included in their figure.
Napoleon probably thinks as he runs Europe he needn't contribute much.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Good old France

Surely not France......the biggest foreign employer in Russia.....not France, that last of the big EU beasts to slowly & reluctantly withdraw some, but by no means all, investments & operations from them.....

See that $25 billion in USA aid......now multiply it by 6, add all the other nations contributions in the list and you'll be getting close to the amount the EU has paid Russia for oil in the same period. Joke really innit.

Users who are viewing this thread