Unpatriotic English People (1 Viewer)

pastythegreat

Last night on Twitter was like the internet had been turned back on in Scotland, after being off for a month.
I never support Scotland or Wales at any sport. The majority of their fans hate the English, so they don't deserve my support.
What I do hate is people like Andy Murray and certain media personalities from Scotland, who claim to quite like England, because its good PR. I'd rather Murray was sat in a BBC studio wearing a Croatia shirt, that putting on a fake persona.
Andy Murray doesn't pretend to like the English. Last time we did play Croatia he did wear a Croatia shirt, and when man u played Barca in the UCL he done his interview in a Barca shirt.

What annoys me is people that do that, people who go out of there way to go against England. Ie, a jock wearing a Croatia top. I couldn't physically pull another countries shirt over my head, it's be like pulling on a Villa shirt or a Leicester shirt. All just to prove you don't like the English. It's a bit desperate, sad and pathetic if you ask me!
I absolutely detest w***s, I'm not about to start wondering around in a Harlequin top though, I just ignore them.

Sad little jocks.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There's definitely an anti-English sentiment that goes on. Problem is I pick it up from not just other home nations, but also some English too. For some reason they have got it into their heads that we should feel bad because our ancestors did some invading. As we are taught not to hassle your average German for Hitler, I don't see why it is OK to have a guilt/hate complex over us.

What really got me yesterday was how many people from around Europe who live/lived in the UK including some of my former English students that were supporting Croatia and wanted England to lose. They've had essentially a free education and great time here and they feel the need to celebrate England losing to a country they have no affiliation with.

I couldn't imagine a senario where I had gone to Spain to study for example, and then decided to support against them deliberately. It makes zero sense.

It's OK to love your country, and whilst people got carried away with 'it's coming home' we are probably to this day one of the most tolerant countries in the world. I get that you get a few dickheads in places like Magaluf, but they aren't the majority at all.

There was a table full of Scots in our restaurant yesterday and they were rubbing it in our faces particularly at the final whistle. One of them had a Man Utd shirt on ffs. Banter is fine but these guys really were spoiling for a fight with their behaviour. There was no need whatsoever.

Terry_dactyl

Ah that famous Marx quote “anyone but England”

(What!?)
Yeah, I can’t really remember his rationale. I guess it would make more sense if he refused to recognise any nations. Anyway, it was a long time ago...he’s probably in UKIP by now. Good teacher though!
I remember I asked him what he thought if I supported England as I was familiar with their players (not from Cov obviously) and he said that he’d give me that!

Happy_Martian

I'm born to Scottish and Welsh heritage (with a touch of Irish way back). I was born in Coventry and am proud of that but I still partly blame my parents, they had 9 months warning that I was due but still couldn't get to either border in time :) But while I was born here, I don't like England the National team. First World Cup I can remember properly was 1978 and Scotland in Argentina. So I went with family ties. And since then, I haven't had even a modicum of interest in England. Saying that, I will watch English clubs in Europe. Any occasions I don't want to support a team, I say I'm supporting the referees to avoid these kinds of arguments. And apart from Man Ure, I'm rarely gleeful when any club loses.

baldy

If it's England, or an Englishman, in any sport, I am rooting for them all the way, be it football, rugby, cricket, tennis, golf, F1, darts, snooker, cycling, curling, hockey, swimming etc. etc.

And I always have considered myself an Englishman rather than a Brit. Englishman first every time.

Doesn't matter either if I dislike Man U, or Chelsea, or Liverpool, or whoever, as soon as they are playing in a European match, I back them. Even backed Villa when they won the European Cup. They represent England.

Eurgh fuck that...could never stick up for any other team just because they're in Europe...especially the Vile too...geeeeez

Otis

Always been the same since I was a kid, wanting to see the English teams do well.

Think it all started with Man U beating Benfica back in 1968 in the European Cup.

It was one of the first ever games I can recall and our neighbours even let us go round and watch the game round their house, because they had a colour TV.

Man U won 4-1 and it was a thrilling game with the likes of Best and Charlton.

Kind of set up my thinking and stance from an early age to follow English clubs and have done so ever since.

Next game I can remember after that was Chelsea in the Cup Winners Cup. Think that was 1971.

I was supposed to go to cubs, but me and all my mates ditched it to watch the game on TV and the next week they kicked us all out of cubs, such was the scout leader's rage.

Makes perfect sense to me, because it was all formed in early childhood.

Don't see how you can criticise it. :)

ccfchoi87

I support England in most sports, not overly fussed by the football. It's actually shocked me the amount of people picking country over club but I imagine if you asked the question a month ago the answers would've been different. The Facebook page did the same and the results were massively in favour of club which has restored my faith in humanity.

I used to support England at rugby but I can't bring myself to cheer for wasps players if they score a try against a player from the club I support. Maybe that's sad but I've now become an impartial observer when watching England rugby.

In Europe I will support the team I prefer to watch whether they're English or not. I certainly wanted Madrid to beat Liverpool and Barca to beat Chelsea for example.

I'll happily see Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland win because I'd rather watch them in the next round than Denmark or Switzerland etc.

Hobo

Always been the same since I was a kid, wanting to see the English teams do well.

Think it all started with Man U beating Benfica back in 1968 in the European Cup.

It was one of the first ever games I can recall and our neighbours even let us go round and watch the game round their house, because they had a colour TV.

Man U won 4-1 and it was a thrilling game with the likes of Best and Charlton.

Kind of set up my thinking and stance from an early age to follow English clubs and have done so ever since.

Next game I can remember after that was Chelsea in the Cup Winners Cup. Think that was 1971.

I was supposed to go to cubs, but me and all my mates ditched it to watch the game on TV and the next week they kicked us all out of cubs, such was the scout leader's rage.

Makes perfect sense to me, because it was all formed in early childhood.

Don't see how you can criticise it. :)

In fairness I always wanted UK teams to do well (except Wales ).

Otis

In fairness I always wanted UK teams to do well (except Wales ).
Yeah, sort of with you there. I wanted Aberdeen to do well in Europe and Rangers too.

I have never been to Scotland, but haven't had any problems with the Scots down here past a bit of very friendly banter, but with the Welsh I have always encountered quite a lot of bitterness.

Understandable really, as they have only had an English king since 1282 and been part of the UK since 1536.

We need to give them time to adjust.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

If it's England, or an Englishman, in any sport, I am rooting for them all the way, be it football, rugby, cricket, tennis, golf, F1, darts, snooker, cycling, curling, hockey, swimming etc. etc.

And I always have considered myself an Englishman rather than a Brit. Englishman first every time.

Doesn't matter either if I dislike Man U, or Chelsea, or Liverpool, or whoever, as soon as they are playing in a European match, I back them. Even backed Villa when they won the European Cup. They represent England.
Spoken like a true wise old Englishman .

But the Villa, I'd have to be pissed first.

oucho

Does anyone else have "associates" who are English born and bred, yet take much glee in the English football team losing?

Personally, I don't like many more other sports other than football and rugby, but I'd never rout against England, regardless of the sport.

Just wanted an additional stance on this, as I've seen several people I know revel in the result tonight...

I was born in Bahrain, grew up in Wales and England and have Scottish ancestry. As such I see myself as British not English. I do not feel a strong passion for the England football team but was disappointed last night, as much as i was disappointed but not gutted when Wales lost to Portugal 2 years ago. It just doesn't matter that much to me.

NortonSkyBlue

I support England in most sports, not overly fussed by the football. It's actually shocked me the amount of people picking country over club but I imagine if you asked the question a month ago the answers would've been different. The Facebook page did the same and the results were massively in favour of club which has restored my faith in humanity.

I used to support England at rugby but I can't bring myself to cheer for wasps players if they score a try against a player from the club I support. Maybe that's sad but I've now become an impartial observer when watching England rugby.

In Europe I will support the team I prefer to watch whether they're English or not. I certainly wanted Madrid to beat Liverpool and Barca to beat Chelsea for example.

I'll happily see Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland win because I'd rather watch them in the next round than Denmark or Switzerland etc.
I would support the home nations over others for just that reason. They are the people of these islands. They lived and died alongside us under our banner and monarch. Rivals in sport yes, brothers in arms certainly.

David O'Day

Anyone who thinks you have to support England bevuase you are born here is a prize fucking plum

End of story

Otis

Anyone who thinks you have to support England bevuase you are born here is a prize fucking plum

End of story
I am excused. My family has been traced all the way back to 1066 and Nottingham on one side and all the way back to 1596 on the other side and to the Gloucester and Evesham area. All English all the way through.

I DO have to support England. :)

Otis

How's that then? Born in Coventry, England. Your team chooses you, you don't choose your team. Same as your nationality.

Yeah, but then you could be on holiday over here and give birth here, or just be working for a while here and give birth here.

Sick Boy

How's that then? Born in Coventry, England. Your team chooses you, you don't choose your team. Same as your nationality.

Are nationality and heritage/ethnicity the same thing? No, they're not.

There's no rule to how people identify and I don't see how others can dictate it either.I was born in England but identify more with Ireland due to my whole family being Irish and having lived there for 3 years as a child.

It's no one's right to tell you how you should identify.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Yeah, sort of with you there. I wanted Aberdeen to do well in Europe and Rangers too.

I have never been to Scotland, but haven't had any problems with the Scots down here past a bit of very friendly banter, but with the Welsh I have always encountered quite a lot of bitterness.

Understandable really, as they have only had an English king since 1282 and been part of the UK since 1536.

We need to give them time to adjust.
You should have gone to a Scotland v England game at Hampden Park back in the 70s,
I went once, had a cousin who lived in Glasgow and he took in with the Scottish fans behind the goal, I'll never forget what he told me just before we went in, " what ever you do don't speak " if they here you are English you may never get out alive.
Scotland won 2 nil, it's a good job England didn't score on the day, I might not be here to tell the tale.

Trust me when it comes to football in Scotland they hate the SASSENACHS.

Otis

You should have gone to a Scotland v England game at Hampden Park back in the 70s,
I went once, had a cousin who lived in Glasgow and he took in with the Scottish fans behind the goal, I'll never forget what he told me just before we went in, " what ever you do don't speak " if they here you are English you may never get out alive.
Scotland won 2 nil, it's a good job England didn't score on the day, I might not be here to tell the tale.

Trust me when it comes to football in Scotland they hate the SASSENACHS.
So, did you survive then?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

So, did you survive then?
Yeah only just, one hundred thousand pissed up Scotts, not a pretty sight.

giphy.gif

baldy

End of story

Totally agree...I didn't ask to be born in this country so I don't have to support England if I don't want to (plus I have Welsh blood in me anyway)

Otis

Totally agree...I didn't ask to be born in this country so I don't have to support England if I don't want to (plus I have Welsh blood in me anyway)
Are you on a NHS waiting list for an operation?

Users who are viewing this thread