Unpatriotic English People (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
It's stranger than when you hear a group of English lads going on about "huns" or "IRA" trying to sound cool because they saw something on social media.

Have a word with yourselves lads.

NortonSkyBlue

My parents were Irish and were grateful for the life England afforded them despite my father spending his war years in the armed forces being abused for being Irish.
I am Coventry born and raised, wouldn't consider supporting anyone else but my hometown and my country, England.
I had one this morning in Riyadh, a gentleman with an East Midlands accent went large that England were beaten last night. I said the better team won and no complaints. He said that will teach the English a lesson. Lesson learned Lord Haw Haw( younger readers can google him, other browsers available)

Terry_dactyl

I know quite a few people who are happy for England to fail. I think they argue that a brief search through some history books might explain where this comes from. Coupled with the perception that everything within Britain is Anglo-centric.

Sky

I'm happy when we win but the comparison to winning at club level is non existant. I was probably more anxious and emotional for the last few league games of the season where we needed points for the playoffs than I was for a world cup semi final yesterday

torchomatic

I've never been a fan of international football - even as a kid - so it's only ever been CCFC for me. Don't really take much notice or interest in England games. Saying that I was routing for them and hoped they would go through. Southgate seems like a calming influence and the players are young, so I would imagine they will get some success in the future.

I'm not patriotic in the slightest. I'm a republican if anything. I'd describe myself as British before English. I'm one of those who doesn't like the St George cross as it does have sinister undertones for me. Saying that I do hope the English guy or team wins if I happen to be watching anything.

torchomatic

I'm happy when we win but the comparison to winning at club level is non existant. I was probably more anxious and emotional for the last few league games of the season where we needed points for the playoffs than I was for a world cup semi final yesterday

Same here. CCFC every time.

hill83

Some Scouser on Talksport was full of glee saying England were carp and he was cheering for Croatia. When Cundy said you're English he said no I'm Scouse and I'm glad they got beat. He then started rattling on about how Liverpool had won 5 champions league so we're more successful than England's 1 World Cup. Cundy called him sad and scum!!!
Sounds fishy to me

hill83

I love the England football team, not arsed about any other England sports team and not patriotic in the slightest. None of my family are English more than 1 generation back and it’s all chance where you are born anyway. Nationalism is absolute nonsense. Still love the football team though.

Bumberclart

Last night on Twitter was like the internet had been turned back on in Scotland, after being off for a month.
I never support Scotland or Wales at any sport. The majority of their fans hate the English, so they don't deserve my support.
What I do hate is people like Andy Murray and certain media personalities from Scotland, who claim to quite like England, because its good PR. I'd rather Murray was sat in a BBC studio wearing a Croatia shirt, that putting on a fake persona.

JimmyHillsbeard

Last night on Twitter was like the internet had been turned back on in Scotland, after being off for a month.
I never support Scotland or Wales at any sport. The majority of their fans hate the English, so they don't deserve my support.
What I do hate is people like Andy Murray and certain media personalities from Scotland, who claim to quite like England, because its good PR. I'd rather Murray was sat in a BBC studio wearing a Croatia shirt, that putting on a fake persona.

Lives in London. Wife is English. Child is English. Despite the throwaway statement made 12 years ago about supporting 'anyone but England' (and no-one ever questions Tiger Tim's banter before that, it's quite possible that by now he does quite like England.

Nick

Administrator
I don't see why some have gone to the extent in buying flags and shirts of the opposition.

It's a little bit sad, especially as they are dog shit themselves. Could understand them taking the piss if they were better.

It's like Nuneaton Town trying to take the piss because we got promoted from League 2.

ajsccfc

There's not much in the way of actual hate for the English as a whole, they do like to see our national team fail though as it's the only involvement they get in tournament football.

Malaka

Wasps fans?
What people fail to understand is that Rugby fans are happy to watch a game. Anyone who has attended a Rugby match will often find neutrals who just want to see a good game.
On a personal level, I support Coventry City and given the choice I would prefer a successful Coventry City rather than England any day of the week. But I don't have a choice, I always cheer for England and the Brits in any sport (even though I am of Cypriot origin). But if Coventry City were playing England in anything it would be the mighty Sky Blues and would want England smashed!

hill83

Going by the Irish eligibility as a guide, I'd qualify for a Scottish passport so if they ever did go independent and were part of the EU I'd apply. Can't give up that free data roaming on holiday now.

Same

hill83

I don't see why some have gone to the extent in buying flags and shirts of the opposition.

It's a little bit sad, especially as they are dog shit themselves. Could understand them taking the piss if they were better.

It's like Nuneaton Town trying to take the piss because we got promoted from League 2.

No different to our lot singing shit on the villa

Nick

Administrator
No different to our lot singing shit on the villa

It's a bit more extreme, it's like them going out and buying flags / shirts of every team that Villa play in the FA Cup.

Even just trying to give Villa shit is the same thing though, unless we play them next season!

Terry_dactyl

Just re-read the original theme...yes, I do know people who are English born and bred and adopt an anti-English stance.
I remember my old teacher at stringer saying that he would always support whoever england were playing against in the football. It was a Marxist thing.

CovUpNorth

I see McNulty has been giving it the big ‘un on twitter and winding people up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He’s a sweaty sock what do you expect, they never have a team to support at these tournaments, so result in supporting England’s opposition, sad really.

CovUpNorth

Is it unpatriotic to be glad that people might be able to string more words together than "It's coming home" for everything?

I don't think we deserved to win last night.
I’ll be very happy to not have to hear that song again for a while.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I lived in Edinburgh during the 98 world cup......the anti-english sentiment was rife....there were pubs proudly flying the Argie flag down on the Leith Walk.....

I reckon some of the Scots get more anti-english if they've actually managed to qualify as they did in 98.......

ajsccfc

I do miss Scotland being at tournaments, having nearly everyone there at the last Euros made it a lot more interesting. With the World Cup going to 48 teams in 2026 they've really got no excuse to not have reached one by then at the latest.

rob9872

I do miss Scotland being at tournaments, having nearly everyone there at the last Euros made it a lot more interesting. With the World Cup going to 48 teams in 2026 they've really got no excuse to not have reached one by then at the latest.
They'll be close, but I predict a gutsy narrow defeat by Gilbratar for a play-off spot.

hinckley cov

I think they are just jealous that they are not good enough,I also think we need a new competition for the lesser nations like Scotland so they can play at a tournament for once

matesx

I think they are just jealous that they are not good enough,I also think we need a new competition for the lesser nations like Scotland so they can play at a tournament for once

You're out, beaten by the better team.

No amount of venting your spleen on the sweaty socks will take you to final.

Suck it up.

clint van damme

There's not much in the way of actual hate for the English as a whole, they do like to see our national team fail though as it's the only involvement they get in tournament football.

totally agree. Spent loads of time in Scotland, never had a problem. You'll see Scots and English mixing quite happily on holiday, (not saying there is never any issues).
Remember going to Yugoslavia many years ago and the Dutch and Germans were knocking fuck out of each other every night, I didn't realise how bad it was between them.

shmmeee

Just re-read the original theme...yes, I do know people who are English born and bred and adopt an anti-English stance.
I remember my old teacher at stringer saying that he would always support whoever england were playing against in the football. It was a Marxist thing.

Ah that famous Marx quote “anyone but England”

(What!?)

Users who are viewing this thread