Match Thread U23s v Bristol City, PDL Final 17 May (1 Viewer)

hamil99

Facebook User
He's been around the first team for a while
Like McCullum he's powerful and has a good physique which suits Robins style of play
If he does well pre season he will be involved next year

With Shipley going it would be nice to have another proper cov lad in the team.

And there's something about him that gives me high hopes, maybe the size of him at that age 🤣🤣

hamil99

Facebook User
I think Shippers came through under Mowbray but yeah he was another fairly powerful lad who could handle the step up

I love the fact that we can sit here and discuss which prospect has the best chance of making it into the first team. When some clubs in our division don't even have an academy. Our youth team and academy is something to be proud of.

long way home

I think a few will be in and around the 1st team next season. Tavares, Bapaga, Dinanga and Howley look like they have something. McGrath and Burroughs played well against two good front players for them. Rus has ability needs to build up and push on. The other i liked the look off was Finnegan, 10 mins granted but busy and got into the game very quickly. Be interesting to see how these develop.

Reid im not sure on good things bad things needs a bit of work to push into 1st team. I think Jack Burroughs will be ahead of him come summer.

Last edited:

Hobo

Robins doesn't use young players too often
Only Sam McCullum has broken through and become a regular that I can remember
But I guess Josh Eccles would have played a lot more if he hadn't been injured

I have to disagree with this. McCallum, Shipley, Eccles and Tavares (and Tavares ahead of expection this season). Youngsters often need a break to get a chance and it normally comes through injuries.

I also think you have to look at his use of youngster's on loan to us like Maatsen.

They may not be ours but they are still younsters developing and getting their first or early taste of proper adult football.

The fact is breaking through is difficult, most youth players won't. It would be stupid to throw too many into the first team just to fail. Playing consistently well at youth level isn't enough. They have to consistently look outstanding and a cut above at that level.

Hobo

I think we need to remember even players like Callum O'Hare had only played 4 times for Villa and 16 times on loan at Carlisle.

So hardly an experienced or established professional when he came to us on loan.

rexo87

Always looks like Bapaga has so much potential when I see him play. Does seem to have a sulk when things don't go his way though

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

cov donkey kick

Always looks like Bapaga has so much potential when I see him play. Does seem to have a sulk when things don't go his way though

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Robins Must be looking for him to force his way through next season as he has been passed by howley , tavares despite being at the club a fair while longer it seems.

larry_david

Was it Gillingham away in the cup about two years ago he ripped them to shreds at the age of 17, so much so they smashed him and he dislocated his shoulder. I also remember pre season he came on against Sevilla, or was it Valencia, whoever it was and he looked great.

larry_david

Did anyone see any of their Instagram lives after the final whistle. Team spirit seems good but they all sound like a right bunch of chavs :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread