U18/U21 Development Thread (4 Viewers)

Otis

Seems we may cut a few then from the U18's. Surprised though we haven't offered Jack Burroughs a contract though. He was mighty impressive in that youth cup match against Villa.

Think we have expected something big from Stedman and Finn too, but I believe they are in the older group of youngsters anyway.

SlowerThanPlatt

Seems we may cut a few then from the U18's. Surprised though we haven't offered Jack Burroughs a contract though. He was mighty impressive in that youth cup match against Villa.

Think we have expected something big from Stedman and Finn too, but I believe they are in the older group of youngsters anyway.

Burroughs is U17. Its next year they’ll decide for him

Finn already on pro, U19. Stedman U18, creative player tricky on the ball. Bit on small side though which may go against him in men’s football.

Kerr23

One of the boys whose not been playing much, I think due to injury is George Hunt. He’s a player. Is he a 1st year? Saw he was on the bench for the 23s after a long time out. One for the future imo. Think he’s one of a few from Southampton.

SlowerThanPlatt

One of the boys whose not been playing much, I think due to injury is George Hunt. He’s a player. Is he a 1st year? Saw he was on the bench for the 23s after a long time out. One for the future imo. Think he’s one of a few from Southampton.

I’ve not heard much about him because as you say he’s been injured and U16 Ngandu has been playing in midfield.

What type of player is he? I think next year they will fare better in the league because U17s have played a lot of football this season when other clubs prioritise their 18s and the U16s joining them are a strong group

Kerr23

I’ve not heard much about him because as you say he’s been injured and U16 Ngandu has been playing in midfield.

What type of player is he? I think next year they will fare better in the league because U17s have played a lot of football this season when other clubs prioritise their 18s and the U16s joining them are a strong group

Kerr23

Coventry have got a gem in this boy. Got an engine like you’ve never seen and is a true baller. Was hoping to c him play today. Been watching his development for a while now. Next year will be a year like last year

Scottydr

Totally agree , watched his progress for a while now , think he would strengthen the side , would hope with the 16,s next year moving up it will also strengthen the squad from what is now in my opinion a very disappointing season , why ?

SlowerThanPlatt

Totally agree , watched his progress for a while now , think he would strengthen the side , would hope with the 16,s next year moving up it will also strengthen the squad from what is now in my opinion a very disappointing season , why ?

Because you get strong groups and then weaker groups. Last years second years were top players at that level that’s why 4 out of the 7 have already played professional football in their first year as pros. Bayliss, Ponticelli, Camwell and Thompson (on loan at Barrow earlier in the season league below us).

This years team lacks pace and power which kinda explains why they’ve pushed 2 16s up consistently as there isn’t a lot of options. In the Youth Cup (which is where you play your best team) the two U16 lads started over U18 players

Scottydr

Because you get strong groups and then weaker groups. Last years second years were top players at that level that’s why 4 out of the 7 have already played professional football in their first year as pros. Bayliss, Ponticelli, Camwell and Thompson (on loan at Barrow earlier in the season league below us).

This years team lacks pace and power which kinda explains why they’ve pushed 2 16s up consistently as there isn’t a lot of options. In the Youth Cup (which is where you play your best team) the two U16 lads started over U18 players

Scottydr

One of the 16,s been playing 18,s for a number years now so would expect it to be his year as a first year scholar , you think he will continue his apprenticeship with the academy , must be a lot of interest ?

SlowerThanPlatt

One of the 16,s been playing 18,s for a number years now so would expect it to be his year as a first year scholar , you think he will continue his apprenticeship with the academy , must be a lot of interest ?

Yes. He has been around the 18s since he was U13 and played with likes of Stevenson, Harries, Maddison and Thomas. Unfortunately for him he’s been injured quite a lot in them years which has stalled his progress. I imagine it will be difficult to get sign him on scholar as many clubs are aware of him and it was posted here about a month ago we rejected a bid from a Premier League club, whether that’s true I don’t know.

If I was him though, I’d stay with us. If you back your own ability, you can be around the first team in 12 months. Also would get game time in 23s rather than just 18s at a bigger club

SBchimp

The under 18s got their first draw of the season in a 1-1 draw away at Huddersfield Town yesterday.
The goal was scored by Jack Burroughs after some fantastic team work (unfortunately not captured on this video) involving George Hunt and Jonathan Ngandu, a nice composed finish

CCFC_maddog

Joke, playing a bunch of under performing U18’s with a few decent 23’s who cannot stand out with the weakness around them. Ponticelli hasn’t played for weeks and many others, why aren’t they playing to at least make the team competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Joke, playing a bunch of under performing U18’s with a few decent 23’s who cannot stand out with the weakness around them. Ponticelli hasn’t played for weeks and many others, why aren’t they playing to at least make the team competitive.

Well in Ponticelli's case, cos he's on the bench for the first team and I am guessing with others he doesn't want to see them get injured.

Nick

Administrator

Surely Ponticelli has been with the first team and will be tomorrow, hence not playing for them today?

SBchimp

Well its that sort of joke behaviour last season that gave us Tom Bayliss this season, I'm sure we'd all rather win than lose, not sure we should be overly bothered by the results of these "Development" games

SlowerThanPlatt

Trialist who won the pen named as Jordan Clarke by Charlton.

Probably the 18 year old Blues striker who is their top scorer this season in the U18 league as he’s the only player who comes up. We don’t have a striker who is an ‘U18’ so we need one going forward, it’s around this time players are informed whether they’ll be offered a pro contract or not so they’ll be plenty more trialists I imagine in the coming weeks.

SlowerThanPlatt

Better highlights here from U18 game @SBchimp. Looks like Hunt and Ngandu have a nice connection on the pitch. Should finish his chance though but he’s involved in all our good play

Terry Gibson's perm

Trialist who won the pen named as Jordan Clarke by Charlton.

Probably the 18 year old Blues striker who is their top scorer this season in the U18 league as he’s the only player who comes up. We don’t have a striker who is an ‘U18’ so we need one going forward, it’s around this time players are informed whether they’ll be offered a pro contract or not so they’ll be plenty more trialists I imagine in the coming weeks.

Or the one from Scunthorpe

Kerr23

Better highlights here from U18 game @SBchimp. Looks like Hunt and Ngandu have a nice connection on the pitch. Should finish his chance though but he’s involved in all our good play

Hunt was brilliant in this match. Said it before, you have got a real player here. He caused such a stir and fact, people from London travelled to watch this game and his name was mentioned by the people in attendance. Keep him fit and next season I see him skipping straight to the 23’s. Amazing thing, he is a 16 year old, 4th quarter baby that’s playing like a pro already and loves to learn. Watch this boy, going all the way

Otis

We have a rich history of Hunts if this one makes it too.

Ernie and Steve were both true City legends and fabulous players.

Otis

Not to mention Stephen
And the other brother who gave up on football and followed the political route, Jeremy.

Then there was uncle Gareth, who decided to try acting, but failed and then decided it wasn't for him, but carved out a career doing it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread