U18/U21 Development Thread (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

The U18s (basically U17s this season) lost 2-1 to Millwall on Saturday. First year scholar Jack Burroughs scored his 10th of the season from midfield, a good prospect. Impressed people on here in the FA Youth Cup game.

The U16s (mostly 15s) beat Millwall 1-0. New rules introduced means academies have to inform players in the U16 age group if they’re going to receive a scholarship before Christmas to avoid stress with GCSEs, last year of school etc. Believe they’ve offered 6 so far, 5 to players in the original U16 group and 1 from outside - a striker. One of the players we released has signed for Shrewsbury

The U23s are at home to Colchester tomorrow at the Alan Higgs Centre. Kick off at 1pm

Otis

The U18s (basically U17s this season) lost 2-1 to Millwall on Saturday. First year scholar Jack Burroughs scored his 10th of the season from midfield, a good prospect. Impressed people on here in the FA Youth Cup game.

The U16s (mostly 15s) beat Millwall 1-0. New rules introduced means academies have to inform players in the U16 age group if they’re going to receive a scholarship before Christmas to avoid stress with GCSEs, last year of school etc. Believe they’ve offered 6 so far, 5 to players in the original U16 group and 1 from outside - a striker. One of the players we released has signed for Shrewsbury

The U23s are at home to Colchester tomorrow at the Alan Higgs Centre. Kick off at 1pm
Yep, very impressed with Jack Burroughs and he seems quite similar in many ways to Tom Bayliss.

Would be mighty impressive if he broke through to the first team. That would then be a succession of central midfielders for the Sky Blues. Maddison, Stevenson, Bayliss, Burroughs.

Nick

Administrator
Sky Blues Xl: Addai, Camwell, Thompson, Ford, Di. Kelly-Evans, Maycock, Trialist, Reid, Dev. Kelly-Evans, Maguire-Drew, Ponticelli

Otis

From someone at the game on facebook
Whoohoooooooooo! We've resigned Cyrus Christie!!!!!

giphy.gif

Winny the Bish

If/when Robins goes, I'd love to see Farndon given a chance to replace him. Always had the youngsters playing attacking, free-flowing football.

dplzll

Surprised only 5 from the original under 16 group have been offered scholarships - this was the age group the academy had very high hopes for.

SlowerThanPlatt

Surprised only 5 from the original under 16 group have been offered scholarships - this was the age group the academy had very high hopes for.
There was originally 10 in the age group. McCann went to Manchester United and 4 got released. If you can get over half of your 16s on a scholar that's a good job IMO. They're all good players, Ngandu and Rowe who have played 18s football all of the season, Lafferty who's played some 18s and NI 17s, Tyler GK who plays for Wales 16s and a left-back because theres only one in the 18s. The blonde haired lad who you posted about before was one of those released, he got offered scholar at Shrewsbury

SlowerThanPlatt

U23s v Charlton: Bilson, Hickman, L.Green, Eccles, Camwell, Maycock, Trialist, Finn, Stedman, Burroughs, Crowther

6 18s in starting 11, including 3 16 year olds Bilson, Burroughs and Crowther

Nick

Administrator
U23s v Charlton: Bilson, Hickman, L.Green, Eccles, Camwell, Maycock, Trialist, Finn, Stedman, Burroughs, Crowther

6 18s in starting 11, including 3 16 year olds Bilson, Burroughs and Crowther

I wonder if that means the Loanees will be in the squad for tomorrow, will be interesting to see who the trialist is.

SlowerThanPlatt

Very honest interview from Farndon. I always thought the likes of Glover and Eaden wanted to stay part of the ‘clique’ and rarely criticised any players

Coventry City coach Jason Farndon admits the club’s Under-18s are playing for their professional futures and, going on their latest showing, still have a great deal to prove to earn a full-time deal with the Sky Blues .

The club’s development coach was forced to field a largely Under-18 group in his Under-23s fixture against Charlton Athletic, a game in which they lost 2-0 at the Ricoh Arena.

“I am really disappointed,” said Farndon, who was without the likes of centre-halves Dominic Hyam and Nathan Thompson who are set to travel with the senior squad to Wycombe due to the suspension of Jordan Willis , who was sent off at Mansfield at the weekend.

“We were forced into playing players, obviously with the first team game this week and a few injuries and suspensions which means some players had to train today and I’m really happy with that because it gives them an opportunity.

“However, we have probably been forced to play some Under-18s when, to put it bluntly, they don’t really deserve to be there through their performances this season.

“But the one good thing about this club is that the opportunity always arises and that’s how I tried to frame it up, that maybe they didn’t play so well in the last game but let’s see what you can do this time at the Ricoh etc.

“Six of them played 90 minutes on Saturday so you could see they were really tired and it was a really lacklustre performance.

“We need players to shine in these games because none of the 18s have been offered professional contracts yet so these are the opportunities you get to try to get one. They were just a little bit lacklustre, with no speed, no life or energy so I am really disappointed.”

He added: “I told them in the pre-match that even in the bottom club at any league there’s always a star in that team that everyone wants. If the side is weakened there are always people who can step up and grab the limelight, and I don’t think anyone did that so I am really, really disappointed in the performance.”

City once again fielded triallist Chris Paul, a defender who can also play in midfield, who is currently on QPR's books.

Regan Charles-Cook – brother of former City goalkeeper Reice – opened the scoring for the Addicks just before the hour mark before Terrique Anderson doubled the lead on 90 minutes to give Jason Euel’s lads the points.

Users who are viewing this thread