U18/U21 Development Thread (9 Viewers)

Otis

I nearly passed out two goals from Beavon who were they playing the st trinians?
I am sure then that Ponticelli will be hauled into the manager's office this morning to explain why he only scored 3 goals and not 13 or 14 against such a weak opposition.

Otis

Pretty strong, good to see Barrett and McDonald getting some gametime.

Interesting to note perhaps that it now seems to be Dion Kelly-Evans getting game time rather than Devon.

Unless Devon is injured of course.

Otis

I'm guessing we won't be petitioning for super Stuart Beavon to start like Ponticelli
Nope.

I would definitely have him on the bench though (ooh missus). Nice to have Ponticelli and Beavon in the wings if they are scoring at U23 level.

better days

Interesting to note perhaps that it now seems to be Dion Kelly-Evans getting game time rather than Devon.

Unless Devon is injured of course.
I think MR said Devon was recovering from a tight hamstring during his pre-match interview last Friday

fernandopartridge

Good win. I would like to see Ponti start against Swindon. He looked useful when he came on against Exeter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

The Sky Blues closed the gap to Professional Developmental League South leaders, Crystal Palace yesterday, when they hit six past the Eagles at the Alan Higgs Centre.

The U23s are now just a point behind Palace who sit tip of the table, but City have a game in hand, which with a win in that game would see them move to first.

Speaking after the game yesterday afternoon, U23s coach Jason Farndon believes his side have brought the work rate and desire he wants from his team.

Farndon said: “As you can see we’ve had a few first team and senior players play in the team and I’m always a little cautious when that happens because it brings a different dynamic to the group.

But, in the last two games we’ve asked for work rate and reactions and I think we’ve got that.

“We’ve figured were not going to pass it as much as we’d like too, because you have to play to the pitches at this time of year, but we’re definitely going to win the ball back and pass it in the final third and there was some real good performances.”

Two of the first team players who have featured in the two games against Bristol City and Crystal Palace have been Jordan Ponticelli and Stuart Beavon.

The two have played up top together in both matches and have scored seven goals between them and Jason has been impressed with the pair.

“Bev has been brilliant.

“He wasn’t playing in the 23s last week and he came and asked to play because he wants to get some minutes in his legs and he has scored in both games and that is a real positive.

“He is great around the young lads and is a real great professional.

As for Ponticelli, Jase said: “We would like Jordan to be impatient because he has high standards for himself.

“He wasn’t fully fit during the game, he got a slight knock on Saturday when he came on but he really wanted to play and get in the habit of scoring goals again.

“It’s much more difficult to score in the League than in a 23s fixture, but it’s important for strikers to get into rhythms and I think we’re providing that at the minute.”

Coventry City’s Under-23 side paid tribute to Cyrille Regis yesterday as the club took to the field for the first time since the news of the FA Cup legend’s death.

The Sky Blue development squad wore black armbands and held a minute’s silence before taking on the current leaders of the professional development league, Crystal Palace.

And the Under-23s boss believes the tributes showed that the young players were familiar with the legacy of Regis, revealing that the players were keen to pay their respects.

“We have a lot of local boys in the side and at the club,” said Farndon, “and Dion Kelly-Evans spoke about it and they were really keen to do the minute’s silence and wear the armbands, so they were very aware of it.

“We met at the Alan Higgs Centre so we didn’t have much time to think about it but I’m sure it will be spoken about a lot in the next few days.”

Farndon expressed the importance of the young players and current generation of Sky Blues understanding the significance of the club’s history when they play at any level:

“We won the Under-18s league last season talking about things like that,” he said.

“To be proud to wear the badge you need to know the history of the club and there have been some good things happening lately and minus the first team result at the weekend, there has been a real feel-good factor around the club.”

SBchimp

The under 18s lost 4-3 to 3rd place Charlton this weekend in a well contested match in terrible wet/snowy conditions. Here are the Cov goals from the game scored by Jack Burroughs (2) and Tyler Johnson.

SlowerThanPlatt

Looks like Ngandu and Rowe playing in 18s again? They’ll learn a lot more from that than playing for the 16s and putting six past teams like at the start of the season.

U23s at home to Cardiff on Monday at AHC. 1:30pm kick-off, not the usual 1pm. Ben Stephens is going to be playing so will be interesting to see how he does. Win will take us top of the league

SlowerThanPlatt

The U23s are away at Millwall today. The match was supposed to take a place at a local venue but is now at Millwall's training ground. It was a 1pm kick-off, I suspect all we'll get is a final score as even the usually reliable score sites don't have access to the game

ceetee

Addai playing - recalled from Hendon

Sorry if this is displayed above - my threads not showing Internet Explorer links

Users who are viewing this thread