Transfer targets (10 Viewers)

Hobo

My days, what is it with this forum? 🤣

Palmer, O’Hare and possibly Ayari are not CDM’s. Completely different role to one that Kelly would play. So not relevant.

Allen the only one who would play there but is currently not fit due to a heart issue.
Lati and Ayari can. You don't necessarily have to play two holding DM:s. There are all sorts of options.

The squad is small we all know that. But you can never cover for every possible injury and eventuality.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah fairs, I suppose he must be half decent if Robins thinks he is but the £5m valuation puts me off. People say we shouldn’t be frivolous with our cash when spending it on a quality CM but then are sound with £5m on some geezer from league one 🤣 (Not saying that’s you btw, just saying some people have argued we don’t need another CM and should save the cash, which I completely disagree with.)

It's not a choice in the way you present it. We have a target in mind and a maximum value we're willing to pay. Clearly Kitching is someone the club has identified as being a good fit for the club and believe will be worth more than what we're willing pay for him. If that figure is £5m, but we'll have a good 23 year old left sided CB who will be signed on a long term contract.

The question is, have we identified such a player with confidence in midfield? Only time will tell but if we haven't, it isn't worth panicking and buying someone who's a bad fit for the club. With Allen coming back, we have 4/5 CMs (depending on where he sees Ayari fitting in) and if we have to wait until Jan/next season to sign a good Hamer-esque replacement, then so be it.

Like with Brekalo, it could be the case that the player(s) may have different seasons to English leagues.

procdoc

Kitching is a class act. Was made Barnsley captain at only 23 years of age. He’s clearly got quality attributes and under our management he will only get better

CCFCSteve

Lati and Ayari can. You don't necessarily have to play two holding DM:s. There are all sorts of options.

The squad is small we all know that. But you can never cover for every possible injury and eventuality.

Everyone’s forgetting we should have a greater attacking/creative threat out wide this season….as well as players like ayari, palmer, sheaf and ohare to come back. Hardly a team of uncreative cloggers. Just hasn’t quite clicked yet

My one concern is replacing hamers goals but again, a firing front two plus the above lot chipping in, hopefully we’ll be good and have cash in bank for the right Jan or summer Hamer replacement signing

Edit - plus Allen when back as possible box to box and Sakamoto !

Seaside-Skyblue

We are not Manchester United. We are not Chelsea. Players will not just swoon and sign for us. We do not have the same pull as the big clubs. We approach a player and his club. First question will be "Who are you again ?". Second "Which league do you play in ?". Okay, identification established. Now can we offer this potential signing European football ? Can we offer the chance to play against the top players in England ? What can we offer ?

If the player is even interested in a move, we move onto finances. Can we afford the wages without breaking our own wage structure ? How much do the club want in compensation/transfer fee ? Oh, we sold Hamer for £15m recently, so you have a lot of money to spend. Prices just went up. Is DK willing to pay over the odds for a rank and file player ? It's not as easy as armchair fans think.

I can understand the frustration as a lot of this is done behind the scenes and us fans rarely hear anything. But I think it's unfair to say MR, DK and the recruitment team will be sitting back or haven't been putting in enough effort. Not all leads go anywhere. We've been lucky and got 11 players in since July. But it's only 3 weeks since we sold Hamer. And now we're getting closer to a brick wall. Like MR has said today, if a club sells now, they have little chance of getting cover so they're less likely to sell. So clubs are holding their ground more and more (like Barnsley with Kitching).

If we don't get anyone today, it won't be for lack of trying on behalf of the club.
Presumably in a lot of cases... First question realistically will be "How much are you offering?"

Greggs

I meant in terms of the squad. We were bloody lucky that Gyo wasn’t injured last season.
still doesn't make sense. 2 players to do the job of 1 in a squad? I get it that Gyo was impressive, but i'd just like a man for man replacement rather than combining 2 and hoping they will both be half of the player........

Brighton Sky Blue

Certainly were. Is always the danger on relying on one / two players, so I'd rather see us a little worse team wise for a bit until we click, in exchange for having more players at a better level to kick on from.
I’d rather have Gyokeres than Morris, would rather Hamer than Nakamba. But I’d ultimately prefer top flight to this division any time.

Ccfcisparks

still doesn't make sense. 2 players to do the job of 1 in a squad? I get it that Gyo was impressive, but i'd just like a man for man replacement rather than combining 2 and hoping they will both be half of the player........
Unfortunately replacing someone like Gyo man for man is extremely tough and out of our budget.

Brighton Sky Blue

Maybe not explaining my point well enough. What we lose in not having the best forward we’ve seen since 2001 we make up for in not relying so heavily on a single player.

Sure if a like for like Gyo replacement existed we’d have gone for him, but so would most teams.

Hertsccfc

Certainly were. Is always the danger on relying on one / two players, so I'd rather see us a little worse team wise for a bit until we click, in exchange for having more players at a better level to kick on from.
I don't think it's easy to get promoted unless you have a few players who are well above the standard. Yes you need to be lucky that they don't get injured. But I feel you need someone who leads in terms of quality and it raises the standard of the other players. In this respect I feel we have missed a trick in not bringing in more Premier league loans in this window, with the extra quality they bring.

TomRad85

Since when did "hoping we get ten in" turn to promising we get ten in? I'm pretty sure they haven't just sat around with their thumbs up their arses. Sometimes it just doesn't work out unless you're prepared to bend over and accept the inflated fees that other teams are demanding.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
Can't be bothered to go over same arguments again tbh but the idea that literally every single player out there that is capable of coming in and doing well in our midfield is out of our price range is nonsense. If we are now 7 players short of what Robins originally wanted i think its fair to say we've dropped the ball a bit...

Hertsccfc

Maybe not explaining my point well enough. What we lose in not having the best forward we’ve seen since 2001 we make up for in not relying so heavily on a single player.

Sure if a like for like Gyo replacement existed we’d have gone for him, but so would most teams.
It was clear and is a reasonable opinion. I just don't agree and suspect Greggs doesn't either.

Hobo

Everyone’s forgetting we should have a greater attacking/creative threat out wide this season….as well as players like ayari, palmer, sheaf and ohare to come back. Hardly a team of uncreative cloggers. Just hasn’t quite clicked yet

My one concern is replacing hamers goals but again, a firing front two plus the above lot chipping in, hopefully we’ll be good and have cash in bank for the right Jan or summer Hamer replacement signing

Edit - plus Allen when back as possible box to box and Sakamoto !
People are just over reacting in what is early in an extensive rebuild. It was never going to be completed in this window.

Lots of teams aren't ideally where they would like to be.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If we sign Kitching for 5 million that seems like we've had our pants pulled down to be honest. Although that part of the pitch in theory should now be very strong. If we have money for that and a couple of decent central midfielders alongside then it would probably wouldn't be a problem to accept whatsoever, but so far it doesn't looks like the will happen.

Much of our squad is good, but goals across the team does genuinely concern me quite a lot. The midfield in particular don't contribute anywhere near enough, and unless that drastically improves it will be hard for us to reach that higher level I think. I can deal with the loss of Gyokeres because we've signed in theory two capable strikers, but losing Hamer is tough when we haven't got anyone in, particularly who can provide us with a decent number of goal/assists in return, in what is already a pretty goal shy team.

Ccfcisparks

If we sign Kitching for 5 million that seems like we've had our pants pulled down to be honest. Although that part of the pitch in theory should now be very strong. If we have money for that and a couple of decent central midfielders alongside then it would probably wouldn't be a problem to accept whatsoever, but so far it doesn't looks like the will happen.

Much of our squad is good, but goals across the team does genuinely concern me quite a lot. The midfield in particular don't contribute anywhere near enough, and unless that drastically improves it will be hard for us to reach that higher level I think. I can deal with the loss of Gyokeres because we've signed in theory two capable strikers, but losing Hamer is tough when we haven't got anyone in, particularly who can provide us with a decent number of goal/assists in return, in what is already a pretty goal shy team.
Sheaf and Ayari should be fine. Sheaf is a quality player and Ayari hasn't signed for Brighton out of chance.

TomRad85

Sheaf and Ayari should be fine. Sheaf is a quality player and Ayari hasn't signed for Brighton out of chance.
Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic Channel

SBT

£5 million for Kitching? Didn’t even know we had £6 million to spend this window, there’s no way he’s worth £7 million.

Hod dog

We cant just magic a like for like replacement, we need to develop one, we will also have to change how we play to suit new repalcements, which we are still learning to do, Simms isnt going to give you the running of channels and chasing long balls Vik did, but once we work out how best to use him he will develop in to a good striker, we also broke our Club record transfer fee on another striker, cant ask for more than that.

we are still going to be offering lower wages than other championship clubs so attracting a like for like replacement for the best striker in league might not be achievable as the player would rather bigger wages or another club they see as bigger than us.

fatso

We've spent more money than we could have dreamed of and all we get is bitching.
Exactly, the arseholes are making themselves known.

We were never going to hang on to Hamer and Vik, but we have an owner who's invested far more of the money received back into the squad than any other, while refusing to panic buy or get ripped off.

And although the squad is smaller, and without its 2 stars, we are undoubtedly better overall, with fewer loans, and more players who can actually compete for starts.

What's the point of a big squad when you end up carrying non playing options like:-

Walker, Waghorn, Reid, Hilsner, Dacosta, Kane, Rose, Dinanga, and Maguire.

And we still have money left to target whatever is needed for a final push in January!

SkyBlueMatt

How could you be so obtuse?

Users who are viewing this thread