Transfer Shouts (12 Viewers)

PUSB-We_are_going_up

It was a one year extension which would automatically trigger after “x” amount of appearances, still League 1 level wages so I can see why he wants more considering his impact this season in a higher level, but I can also see Robins being reluctant due to age meaning his legs could go at any given moment

Grendel

It was a one year extension which would automatically trigger after “x” amount of appearances, still League 1 level wages so I can see why he wants more considering his impact this season in a higher level, but I can also see Robins being reluctant due to age meaning his legs could go at any given moment

He offered I assume though improved terms to peripheral players like Kelly and Allen

KenilworthSkyBlue

Thats the spirit, I think anyone who pulls on the Sky Blue shirt should get the support of our fans, other than some exceptions in the past…

I think fans are right to be sceptical. It would be pretty disastrous if he flops within the first year and we're stuck with (by our standards) a substantial earner for a further two years.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

At the same time people's concerns on him are in good faith. High cost, dubious stats. Hope it clicks for him if he joins
I agree although if you look at it he was never really a regular starter as he never fitted into their formation and his stats are better than what we’ve got at the moment in that position and what we had, there are worse players out there so I am happy with it for the time being, hope he proves those doubting him wrong

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I think fans are right to be sceptical. It would be pretty disastrous if he flops within the first year and we're stuck with (by our standards) a substantial earner for a further two years.
But then again if he comes good then we have a good player on another 2 years meaning we could get a relatively good fee for him meaning more to spend on improvements

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree although if you look at it he was never really a regular starter as he never fitted into their formation and his stats are better than what we’ve got at the moment in that position and what we had, there are worse players out there so I am happy with it for the time being, hope he proves those doubting him wrong

Well if we consider Waghorn, Bidwell and Kane there is already a pattern of these types of signings biting us on the arse financially for not much return on the pitch. Will concede that Waghorn has had his own separate issues but we knew exactly what Kane was like when we signed him.

When we aren't flush with funds we have to use what we've got very wisely.

KenilworthSkyBlue

But then again if he comes good then we have a good player on another 2 years meaning we could get a relatively good fee for him meaning more to spend on improvements

Due to our restricted budget and the increased element of risk though the go-to is always going to be: what if he flops? Especially given his fairly uninspiring track record and purported wages.

As much as it could be a coup, it could equally be disastrous. Which is why the level of scepticism is far from unfounded.

Sky Blue Pete

Due to our restricted budget and the increased element of risk though the go-to is always going to be: what if he flops? Especially given his fairly uninspiring track record and purported wages.

As much as it could be a coup, it could equally be disastrous. Which is why the level of scepticism is far from unfounded.
There is a lot between a coup and a disaster though and it’s likely to be something in the middle

Grendel

This is all down to adi V backing his own qualities in terms of rekindling his quality from his Chelsea days

Same sort of era as Charlie Wakefield isn’t he?

fernandopartridge

Palmer last 6 year stats (since he started playing in the Championship):

16/17: 24 appearances, 4 goals, 3 assists
17/18: 15 appearances, 2 goals, 1 assist
18/19: 29 appearances, 3 goals, 1 assist
19/20: 25 appearances, 1 goal, 3 assists
20/21: 35 appearances, 3 goals, 2 assists
21/22: 6 appearances, 1 goal , 0 assists

Total: 134 appearances, 14 goals, 10 assists

I'm not trying to be a pantomime villain here, but these stats are appalling. Are we just getting excited that we are making a signing, or am I missing something? Genuine question and not looking to be negative for no reason. I am just looking at this and it doesn't make sense to me. It is widely agreed that O'Hare offers a lot overall to the team, but his stats are regarded as too low and we need more product from an AM, isn't it? Palmer's stats are probably even lower depending on how you match up the analysis, and that is over six seasons playing in the Championship. Obviously I hope he does well here, and he will have my full support, but to be as polite as possible I'm a bit baffled and sadly underwhelmed by this, especially given that he will in all likelihood be a top earner.

Compare the stats with Jamie Allen who he's replacing not some mythical goalscoring midfielder you've invented

Mucca Mad Boys

I am pretty hopeful about signing Palmer, his stats aren’t as bad as have been made out. Robins and Adi have done enough to earn the trust of the fan base.

The reality is, we’re not going to sign Championship players who have excellent stats. People like Swift will be going straight to the bigger teams in the division.

This time last year, did anyone (without lying) think Gyokeres would be our top scorer with 17 goals? I certainly didn’t.

Philosorapter

Strange, we haven't had other people doing player announcements yet, other than those you would expect to hear the announcements from.

junglej13

Palmer is a talented 25 years old and three years ago cost £3.5m. To think we are arguing about whether he is a good addition shows how far we have come the last few years. Attacking midfielders come at a premium. Very, very hard to find particularly on a budget. It is a bit of a gamble but one worth taking if we are to progress in my opinion.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Well no, Brights club before us wanted to keep him :p

I think the idea that he’s a significant gamble both on and off the pitch is fair.

Bright wasn't a significant gamble though.

It was a very strange signing, but it was pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

Equally he is clearly also borderline insane.

Reactions: SBT

shmmeee

Cos I know people love it as a stat, Palmers goals per minute across all Championship appearances is about 400. Which is actually pretty good. However he’s only played more than 1000 minutes in a season once, which is pretty bad.

shmmeee

Bright wasn't a significant gamble though.

It was a very strange signing, but it was pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

Equally he is clearly also borderline insane.

I think having one mentalist as our second choice AM in a team that regularly plays two AMs is a gamble yes.

Users who are viewing this thread