Transfer Shouts (12 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

What’s frustrating is there is a workable model at this level. Other clubs have done it. Tight wage budgets but investment in potential that leads to big sales to plug the holes. But you can’t do that if you can neither buy nor sell players. What happened with O’Hare was unlucky but realistically we should have had Hamer out the door as well and brought in 3/4 of the next batch so we could afford to extend Sheaf and Györkeres this season under the wage budget.

This summer was key for any sustainable model and with Hamer not getting interest and O’Hare getting injured they either throw their hands up in the air and say we’re fucked, or they take this season as a risk to be mitigated, plug the gaps, and keep investing in potential sales because the more you have the better your chances and you only need a 1 in 3/4 to come off to pay for the whole scheme.

What you can’t do is run on such fine margins that of the three prospects signed (Walker, Hamer, O’Hare) we are relying on more than half to come off or all to stay injury free. We need to either be ready to bridge seasons like this or invest more to spread the risk.
Exactly what’s pissing me off.

It’s sad losing players but you have to replace.

1 out for £5m. 3 in for a mil each and wages. Two of those world out and you sell for £10m and invest in 3 £2.5m plus wages.

Eventually you got a great team.

Levship20

1 out for £5m. 3 in for a mil each and wages. Two of those world out and you sell for £10m and invest in 3 £2.5m plus wages.

I suspect that if SISU are or do enter any negotiations with the sale of the club, none will go as the assets are part of the valuation.

NorthernWisdom

Somewhere you wonder if we overvalue, though - the kind of thing that meant we lost Westwood for nothing rather than something, and arguably didn't get the right price for Fox and Dann either.

Our youth products have sold well but, beyond McNulty (and his career since suggests we got beyond his worth!) and, bizarrely, Chaplin, who have we actually bought and turned a profit on since Robins returned?

(I'm aware there's McCallum, but not sure if he counts as a 'buy' as such, but more a youth pickup along the lines of Everton or Villa nicking ours. Even if we include him, it's not a huge amount of brought in assets that have ended up saleable)

Brighton Sky Blue

Somewhere you wonder if we overvalue, though - the kind of thing that meant we lost Westwood for nothing rather than something, and arguably didn't get the right price for Fox and Dann either.

Our youth products have sold well but, beyond McNulty (and his career since suggests we got beyond his worth!) and, bizarrely, Chaplin, who have we actually bought and turned a profit on since Robins returned?

(I'm aware there's McCallum, but not sure if he counts as a 'buy' as such, but more a youth pickup along the lines of Everton or Villa nicking ours. Even if we include him, it's not a huge amount of brought in assets that have ended up saleable)

It did seem like we were most of the way with selling O'Hare in fairness and he would have turned an enormous profit. What's clear though is that Hamer's ceiling looks like it's in this division and nobody was biting this summer despite him being our 'preferred' departure. We also all had high hopes of Walker but he no longer fits in how we wish to play.

When budgets are tight there's not much wriggle room for error, and asides from Hamer the foreign recruitment in particular has been a hot mess that has cost us a not inconsiderable sum on its own.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It did seem like we were most of the way with selling O'Hare in fairness and he would have turned an enormous profit. What's clear though is that Hamer's ceiling looks like it's in this division and nobody was biting this summer despite him being our 'preferred' departure. We also all had high hopes of Walker but he no longer fits in how we wish to play.

When budgets are tight there's not much wriggle room for error, and asides from Hamer the foreign recruitment in particular has been a hot mess that has cost us a not inconsiderable sum on its own.

I agree with this, and given that we are strapped down with players that we don't really want, in turn means we can't bring others in.

It also makes me baffled when we sign Palmer on a three year deal and high wages when his history for the past six seasons is questionable at best.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree with this, and given that we are strapped down with players that we don't really want, in turn means we can't bring others in.

It also makes me baffled when we sign Palmer on a three year deal and high wages when his history for the past six seasons is questionable at best.

Would have been on Viveash's recommendation probably. But taking him out of the equation there's

Kane
Hilssner
DaCosta
Walker
Waghorn

Who are all on a decent or large whack (or crack in Kane's case), we wanted rid of but nobody will take permanently. So collectively we're stuck with enough for the kind of signings that shhmeee talks about but we've sat and watched other teams making. Then in a different category there's

Wilson
Kelly
Allen
Rose/Hyam

Who aren't Championship standard and in Wilson's case isn't good enough even as backup. We are very right to point the finger at the owners for not being up to the job of running the club but we haven't helped ourselves either.

Brighton Sky Blue

Which probably shows why he was our preferred departure!

I'd disagree about his ceiling being this division btw, but he really does need to become more consistent.

That's a separate debate, my view is at 25 and now in his third season in the Championship he remains a good, on his day excellent, player for the level. Just not somebody a top flight club would take a chance on even as a squad player like Fulham had in mind for O'Hare.

shmmeee

Then we’ve got to accept less for our players. Even £3-4m for Hamer would have been a significant profit.

Matt smith

Would have been on Viveash's recommendation probably. But taking him out of the equation there's

Kane
Hilssner
DaCosta
Walker
Waghorn

Who are all on a decent or large whack (or crack in Kane's case), we wanted rid of but nobody will take permanently. So collectively we're stuck with enough for the kind of signings that shhmeee talks about but we've sat and watched other teams making. Then in a different category there's

Wilson
Kelly
Allen
Rose/Hyam

Who aren't Championship standard and in Wilson's case isn't good enough even as backup. We are very right to point the finger at the owners for not being up to the job of running the club but we haven't helped ourselves either.
Hyam isn’t championship standard???

you serious??

Torquay Sky Blue

Need to replace Maatsen. Until we do that we're weaker than last season. Bidwell isn't the answer. He's a steady full back in a back four at best .

Users who are viewing this thread