Top 100 Cov players of all time (1 Viewer)

Grendel

David Speedie at 37 ? And to have league one and two players in that 100 is plain daft
Also Hamer at 7 ? He would struggle to make the top 10 best midfielders in my opinion

Gibson is at 58 and he was miles ahead of Speedie who was overrated

Martin180

Gibson is at 58 and he was miles ahead of Speedie who was overrated
Speedie wasn’t overrated but Gibson was a better player as were a few others

i thought you meant Ian Gibson not Terry who wasn’t a better player

Last edited:

Grendel

Speedie wasn’t overrated but Gibson was a better player as were a few others

i thought you meant Ian Gibson not Terry who wasn’t a better player

lol Terry Gibson was far better for us his goal record in a poor team was incredible

Grendel

Lol but he wasnt a better player , Speedie was incredibly talented and scored some of the best goals I’ve witnessed .

clueless - Gibson scored 20 in a season. Speedie was an expensive signing who in the end was pretty average

Grendel

Ah yes he was , mind you it could be argued that at the time Wimbledon were a better side positionally in the table

Speedie was a bizarre signing for Liverpool and played very few games for them. Gibson scored far more goals for us in far fewer games than Speedie. He cost a tenth of the fee and played in a far worse team - he was a far better player for us

Martin180

Speedie was a bizarre signing for Liverpool and played very few games for them. Gibson scored far more goals for us in far fewer games than Speedie. He cost a tenth of the fee and played in a far worse team - he was a far better player for us
I won’t argue that Gibsons contribution as a number 9 way outweighs Speedies but Speedie wasn’t a number 9 , he was a number 10 and had sublime skill and scored some tremendous goals for us
Gibson wouldn’t get near an alltime xi but Speedie wouldn’t be far away

Grendel

I won’t argue that Gibsons contribution as a number 9 way outweighs Speedies but Speedie wasn’t a number 9 , he was a number 10 and had sublime skill and scored some tremendous goals for us
Gibson wouldn’t get near an alltime xi but Speedie wouldn’t be far away

Lol are you wumming - Gibson wasn’t a number 9 he was playing alongside Regis and before him bamber and latchford

You seem to have done fixation on a pretty average achiever who would be nowhere near an all time 11 - are you the idiot who did this top 100?

Terry_dactyl

Ah yes he was , mind you it could be argued that at the time Wimbledon were a better side positionally in the table
I think Wimbledon were still in the 2nd division back then.

Speedie was great for us.

I didn’t see Gibson for us - although strangely I did see him play for Spurs when I was about 4 - so difficult for me to compare the 2. Clearly one of our best strikers ever…and therefore, rightly, just behind Super Matty Godden on this list!

clint van damme

I am too young (not old enough?) to comment on Gibson but Speedie certainly was better than "average" for us

Speedie was great but Gibson was a very important player in our history.
Scoring nearly 20 goals season in a very poor relegation threatened side was some feat and theres no way we would have survived without him on more than one occasion.

jordan210

Here is the correct list

Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen
Gary Breen

Hertsccfc

Obviously a rather silly list but then again it has generated discussion. Most of the obvious flaws have already been mentioned, but I have to add Steve Hunt should be much higher.

On the Gibson versus Speedie debate, both were great players for us and certainly not average. Respective goal scoring rates don't tell the whole story as Speedie played a lot of matches in midfield. However, Gibson produced in much weaker teams on the whole so he edges it for me. I think Gibson would get in my all time 11 and Speedie would be on the bench.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Obviously a rather silly list but then again it has generated discussion. Most of the obvious flaws have already been mentioned, but I have to add Steve Hunt should be much higher.

On the Gibson versus Speedie debate, both were great players for us and certainly not average. Respective goal scoring rates don't tell the whole story as Speedie played a lot of matches in midfield. However, Gibson produced in much weaker teams on the whole so he edges it for me. I think Gibson would get in my all time 11 and Speedie would be on the bench.

The fact both of them are below David Thompson tells you all you need to know about that list.

ccfctommy

He was playing premier league football at 18/19. Talent was there and he became the highest transfer for a teenage goalkeeper at the time. To this day if it weren’t for injuries he’d have been Englands number 1 over Robinson
He was very good yes and was unlucky with injuries.

These lists are really hard to quantify and it's all about opinions. I'm not for one minute suggesting that Ben Wilson is a better goalkeeper than Chris Kirkland but definitely has contributed more for us than he has.

Colin Steins Smile

I appreciate that this one persons opinion, which they are entitled to. However, to compare players from league 2 with players from our premier league/L1 era is daft.
Ian Gibson not being included is bizarre and when you consider numerous players who played at international level are ranked below players who played in L2 and then failed at a higher level, demonstrates the inconsistency.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He was very good yes and was unlucky with injuries.

These lists are really hard to quantify and it's all about opinions. I'm not for one minute suggesting that Ben Wilson is a better goalkeeper than Chris Kirkland but definitely has contributed more for us than he has.
I don’t dispute that even about Wilson. He contributed more than Westwood but he’s not a better keeper.

I just think looking a the whole picture - he was a prem goalkeeper for us at 18. He stood out in a team that got relegated and got a move to Liverpool for 6m whilst we were in the second division. That was unheard of at the time. Ability wise he had everything.

I don’t diminish Oggys achievements - he won the FA Cup and was a solid goalkeeper throughout our prem years. Just feel everything about Kirkland screamed class, Hedman was a classy goalkeeper aswell

Brylowes

This is shite where’s the 100 worst players list?
Same list, just start at 100 and work backwards.

Seriously tho, what a crock of shit, think the only one most would agree with is No1 Tommy Hutchison and even he is spelt wrong 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread