Top 100 Cov players of all time (1 Viewer)

Martin180

I don’t dispute that even about Wilson. He contributed more than Westwood but he’s not a better keeper.

I just think looking a the whole picture - he was a prem goalkeeper for us at 18. He stood out in a team that got relegated and got a move to Liverpool for 6m whilst we were in the second division. That was unheard of at the time. Ability wise he had everything.

I don’t diminish Oggys achievements - he won the FA Cup and was a solid goalkeeper throughout our prem years. Just feel everything about Kirkland screamed class, Hedman was a classy goalkeeper aswell
None were as good as Glazier

Irish Sky Blue

I think you would struggle to justify anyone who hadn't played in the top league. We were there for 34 years so the players of that period should be the best we have had. Having said this, I do think the standard of football now is better than it was and so some of the top flight players we have had were not as good as players we have now or have had in recent years ( Bamber v Gyokeres or David Bradford v Hamer). I’m still not sure that Viktor or Gus would make the top 100.
There are some big omissions from that list. Neil Martin for example, one of the best Centre forwards we have had. Maurice Setters who more than anyone kept us in the top division during our first two years of struggle. I couldn’t see Jim Blyth on the list, our best goalkeeper I think after Oggy and Glazier. No place for Graham Oakey, a wonderful right back whose career was ended by injury. No Jim Holton or Mick Coop either. Those are only off the top of my head. I’m sure there are loads more.

long way home

Its all opinion, but when i thought about the best id seen the first names that come into my head were not all the best i wouldn't think but they made the biggest impression on me as being special. As a 7 year old boy till now these are those players.

Tommy Hutchinson, self explanatory
Danny Thomas, just stood out as a kid watching
S Pearce, powerful, scary and had a great left foot
Nuddy bit like Tommy get you off your seat unpredictable genius
Huckerby- Fast, strong, run all day and could finish.
Keane this one pushes Tommy as the best i ever seen. Every attribute you need in a footballer he had in buckets loads. Pure quality.

Finham

I think you would struggle to justify anyone who hadn't played in the top league. We were there for 34 years so the players of that period should be the best we have had. Having said this, I do think the standard of football now is better than it was and so some of the top flight players we have had were not as good as players we have now or have had in recent years ( Bamber v Gyokeres or David Bradford v Hamer). I’m still not sure that Viktor or Gus would make the top 100.
There are some big omissions from that list. Neil Martin for example, one of the best Centre forwards we have had. Maurice Setters who more than anyone kept us in the top division during our first two years of struggle. I couldn’t see Jim Blyth on the list, our best goalkeeper I think after Oggy and Glazier. No place for Graham Oakey, a wonderful right back whose career was ended by injury. No Jim Holton or Mick Coop either. Those are only off the top of my head. I’m sure there are loads more.
No Coop is particularly outrageous given his longevity and that he played top flight.

DrPoolittle

My eyesight fails me: I can’t see Ray Straw, Billy Frith, Arthur Lightning, Alf Wood, Jock Lauderdale, George Mason or Clarrie Bourton on that list.

Users who are viewing this thread